PDA

View Full Version : Is i7 920 that easy to get over 4gigs

john19055
02-03-09, 07:04 AM
I am trying to make of my mind what I want to throw some money at .I was thinking a Phenom II ,but it just does not over clock like they were saying it would do.I looked at a lot of reviews of the i7 920 and even when it is overclocked to around 4igs ,a Q9650 overclock to 4gigs gives it a good run for it's money.I have tons of DDR 2 PC8500 just laying around.I am thinking of getting a Q9650 and a Evga 780i SLI since it is tri SLI if I want to do that.Some reviews show the Q9650 being faster in some games like Far Cry 2 and in UT3 it only loss by a few and the Q9650 was not even overclocked.I am thinking I will hold off and just get a Good 780i SLI board and a Q9650 and overclock it to around 4gigs or more since they seem to be able to reach 4gigs with no problem.Even the reviews I have seen with the 780i SLI and the 790i SLI there just is not that much improvement .I play at 1920x1200 and when they were playing at best quality at that resolution the 790i SLI would win most of the time by 1.5FPS.some games had up to 5FPS more ,but nothing to write home about.I would have to buy new DDR3 memory and it around $100 for 4gigs,but I already have 8gigs of PC2-8500 2gx2g and 4gigs of Corsair Dominator PC2 8500 of 1gx1g plus 2gigs of OCZ Reaper PC2 6400.So I figure I can just save the money I was going to spend on DDR3 and make my EVGA 780i SLI and Q9650 a little cheaper.I am sure more games will use the i7 920 muti-threaded but right now IMO I just don't think it is worth it.Plus I am scared I want be able to get my i7 920 running over 4gigs.I know that a Q9650 does not have any problem reaching the 4gig mark and beyound.I know I want score as high in 3DMark Vantage,but I don't play that.But the more reviews I look at TRI SLI works the best on a i7 920 system.Just really thinking out loud

Bearclaw
02-03-09, 07:18 AM
Paragraph(s)...

saturnotaku
02-03-09, 07:49 AM
And spaces after periods and commas...

turdhat
02-03-09, 08:26 AM
Seems that a lot of people are pulling off 4+ghz on air and from what I have read it seems a safe bet. I always go mid range on cpu's myself.

The grammar police could have at least answered your question.. Pretty lame that they have time to police grammar but not help out someone.. Typical..

saturnotaku
02-03-09, 08:52 AM
The grammar police could have at least answered your question.. Pretty lame that they have time to police grammar but not help out someone.. Typical..

It's a lot easier to try and help someone if they can make themselves at least look coherent.

Woodelf
02-03-09, 10:02 AM
tHatshowi, ritewenibendrinkinng

bob saget
02-03-09, 07:08 PM
depends, some motherboards dont like >4 gigs.

turdhat
02-04-09, 09:08 PM
It's a lot easier to try and help someone if they can make themselves at least look coherent.

What the **** do appearances matter on the internet ? The question was understandable and asked politely. If you have the time to call out grammar you have the time to help. It all depends on the type of person you are.

Taking time to post something unhelpful when someone is asking nicely shows a lack of maturity that can not be disputed. Why split hairs with someone over their grammar ? It really is a waste of time.

Woodelf
02-04-09, 10:24 PM
What the **** do appearances matter on the internet ? The question was understandable and asked politely. If you have the time to call out grammar you have the time to help. It all depends on the type of person you are.

Taking time to post something unhelpful when someone is asking nicely shows a lack of maturity that can not be disputed. Why split hairs with someone over their grammar ? It really is a waste of time.

iBeen drinkinbut...yea to that!!,

Woodelf
02-04-09, 10:26 PM
Screwdirvers cause I gotstuud up tonight bymy buddys.

Woodelf
02-04-09, 10:35 PM
No actually I did get stood up (a buddy not a date). yea, I've had a few cause I scheduled my self too, plus they gave me just cause. And yea I do kind of write like that when I'm drunk. No..I think his writing was fine enough to gain a respectfull responce over the one he got. Some people around here seem to be kind of anal at times. Some all the time, which is why I rarely post.

Logical
02-05-09, 03:31 AM
Im glad you sobered up by the time you did that last post. :)

Woodelf
02-05-09, 07:14 AM
Im glad you sobered up by the time you did that last post. :)
It's funny what a fella can do in 9 minutes.

sillyeagle
02-05-09, 03:08 PM
Mine went to 4Ghz fine, though it's hot. Can't run Prime for more than 10mins otherwise the cores get into the 80's, though its totally stable other than being hot. I can run other stability tests, like the Everest test, and no problem with temps there, just with Prime.

I was able to do 3.5GHz stable with no voltage changes. For 4GHz I had to boost vCore to 1.362, and CPU VTT to 1.175(+75mv).

Just get the better cooler you can. I've got the Noctua myself, though I only installed one of the two fans. Now that I know it;s as hot as it is I'm going to install the second, which gives a 2-3C reduction. Its a crap shoot though, as slaWter has a 965 extreme and he is not able to do 4GHz. He's been running at 3.8GHz.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

Lots of people in there hitting 4GHz.