PDA

View Full Version : Driver installation crashes PC

Laser Eyes
02-04-09, 04:46 PM
I can't install the latest version 181.22 driver downloaded from the nvidia web site.

The program launches and goes through the preliminary screens. The installation starts and the completion bar stops about half way across. Then the screen goes black and I need to switch off the PC to reboot. I've tried this several times and it happens every time. I'm trying to install the driver on a fresh installation of Windows XP SP3 on a new hard drive.

I can install the graphics card driver from the disc that came with the card no problem. It's an earlier version of driver.

My system:

AMD FX-55
Asus A8V-E Deluxe
Corsair 2GB RAM
Gigabyte 9800GTX+
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Seagate 160GB
Corsair 620W
Windows XP SP3

I've never had any problem installing nvidia drivers before and have no idea why this is happening.

Bman212121
02-04-09, 11:11 PM
That used to happen to me every time I installed one of the newer drivers. It actually will install the driver, you just need to give it time. Let it sit there for like 10 minutes, and then hit enter a couple of times. It might reboot itself automatically, if it doesn't just press the power button to cause your pc to shutdown. When it comes back up the new driver should be on there.

Not sure if there was a fix for that, I think my issue when away after I reinstalled the pc.

Laser Eyes
02-05-09, 05:17 PM
I tried your suggestion. Can't get it to work. I can't get past the black screen no matter how many times I press Enter, the only way is to switch the PC off and reboot and the driver is not installed.

This keeps happening on a fresh install of Windows XP. I don't understand it at all. This is software designed for my graphics card. This should not be happening. There is no incompatibility. Never had any problem installing nvidia drivers before.