PDA

View Full Version : Why do some games hiccup/freeze-up?

Kain
02-07-09, 03:04 PM
When playing CS:S, there are certain times when the game will just freeze-up for about a few seconds and then continue as normal. However, when I was playing the Left 4 Dead demo, I had everything on max except for the resolution which was at 1280x800. During the demo, when the huge burst of zombies come running into the room the game would just freeze-up like in CS:S but this time it wouldn't unfreeze. I would have to force quit the game. When I reduced the graphic settings, the problem went away with no hiccups or freeze-ups. What does this mean? Am I maxing out my GPU or do I need more RAM?

Also, while playing the F.E.A.R. 2 demo, I ran it maxed out at 1280x800 without FSAA and with trilinear filtering and the game keeps pausing every now and then. Once again, if I reduce the settings the game runs smoothly. I think I need more RAM.

What do you think?

BTW, I am running the latest GPU driver from HP.

|MaguS|
02-07-09, 03:46 PM
BTW, I am running the latest GPU driver from HP.

Thats most likely why...

Noriega
02-07-09, 04:17 PM
playing on notebook is never good idea ;)

|MaguS|
02-07-09, 04:19 PM
playing on notebook is never good idea ;)

I wouldn't say that... my notebook can run any pc game released with medium to max settings just fine (actually only game I run on medium is Crysis).

Noriega
02-07-09, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't say that... my notebook can run any pc game released with medium to max settings just fine (actually only game I run on medium is Crysis).

But in Dubai there's abou 30-40*C this ain't hard to get too big temperature on GPU etc. BTW playing on laptop is very unpleasant I prefer big screen, comfortable armchair etc

Kain
02-07-09, 04:27 PM
Thats most likely why... But this also happened with my older HP laptop and I was running Omega drivers. I really think that it is a RAM issue because I have gone through 3 sets of HP drivers.

|MaguS|
02-07-09, 04:31 PM
But in Dubai there's abou 30-40*C this ain't hard to get too big temperature on GPU etc. BTW playing on laptop is very unpleasant I prefer big screen, comfortable armchair etc

I have a nice comfortable arm chair in my room, I use a lapdesk to play on my laptop in a nice comfortable position. And there wouldn't be any problem with temp, theres a thing called AC.

Kain
02-07-09, 05:02 PM
One more thing. When I am playing CS:S offline with 2 bots, there is absolutely no freeze-ups or stuttering. But when I'm playing online in a large Zombie mod map, there is stuttering/hiccups.

|MaguS|
02-07-09, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a CPU & Ram issue, your chocking when more is loading.

crainger
02-07-09, 05:06 PM
In my experience ATi Mobile GPUs are more trouble than they are worth. My Dad has a brand new Toshiba lappy with ATi GPU is it would randomly just start flickering, it was replaced under warranty, 2nd lappy did the same thing. They agreed to replace with similar spec laptop with Nvidia and it was been golden since.

Although from your last post, sounds like a RAM issue to me... 64bit? Try another 2gb to make a total of 4Gb.

Don't come between Kain and I please MagnuS.

bob saget
02-07-09, 06:01 PM
with 4 gigs, TF2 and CSS were never @ 100% stable for me.

Noriega
02-07-09, 08:11 PM
with 4 gigs, TF2 and CSS were never @ 100% stable for me.

You really can't compare desktop stability andperformance with notebooks.

|MaguS|
02-07-09, 08:34 PM
You really can't compare desktop stability andperformance with notebooks.

Um yes you can... do you really think notebooks are that different from desktops? The os is identical, and the hardware for the most part isn't that much different.

Noriega
02-07-09, 09:00 PM
You really miss the point Magnus.

|MaguS|
02-07-09, 09:16 PM
You really miss the point Magnus.

What point? That you know nothing about notebooks?

Noriega
02-07-09, 09:28 PM
What point? That you know nothing about notebooks?

lol lol lol

bob saget
02-08-09, 03:23 AM
oh snap.

Lfctony
02-08-09, 03:30 AM
I think it has something to do with the textures. It even does this on my PC, which can't be classified as weak. If you read the FEAR2 demo feedback thread, it happens on monster PCs as well, and we have quite a few here at nvnews. So, I'm guessing its a game problem which manifests itself at higher detail settings...

Dreamingawake
02-08-09, 11:03 AM
they freeze/hiccup because your computer sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(