PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to Monitor.

ATOJAR
02-09-09, 05:58 PM
Guys i have just bough a PS3, when im not playing it with the wifey(or shes watching eastenders)i intend to hook it up to my 24" LG monitor to play games in HD, could somebody please help me out by tellimg me exactly what leads/s i need? ... i have the 80GB PS3 and the below monitor.

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/widescreen_w2452t.jhtml

Bman212121
02-09-09, 06:11 PM
You'd need an HDMI to DVI cable.

Something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189128

ATOJAR
02-09-09, 06:16 PM
Ahh cool, HDMI To DVI-D lead ... right.. cheers. (this lead will still be HD right?)

That reminds me .... sound! .. what about sound? i have speakers for my pc but the monintor dont have sound! ... any suggestions?

Bman212121
02-09-09, 06:26 PM
Yes it will be HD. For sound there are a few ways to do it. You can just input the sound into the pc using your line in, or connect the PS3 directly to your speakers. What type of speakers do you have?

Lfctony
02-09-09, 10:20 PM
Atojar, there might be some scaling taking place, if you set it at 720p.... It won't be as flawless as connecting a 360 to a PC monitor which supports several resolutions. Your monitor is 1920x1080 I'm guessing. Does it support 1080p though? I know that some PC monitors don't do that even if they support the given resolution...

ATOJAR
02-10-09, 12:25 AM
What type of speakers do you have?

They are just some cheap 2.1 speakers made by a brand called Trust, never use em, always use the headset in my sig, could i use a headset?

Your monitor is 1920x1080 I'm guessing.

No its 1920x1200 m8, not sure if it supports 1080p?

|MaguS|
02-10-09, 12:32 AM
I would think it would support 1920x1080 then...

EciDemon
02-10-09, 02:48 AM
While it should work, it might not work due to HDCP protection. Your monitor must support hdcp else it will not work, that said if it works it will work great as long as you can get at least output 720p (my monitor is 1680x1050 and will accept 720p using hdmi>dvi but not 1080p. 1080p however works with analogue signal like vga on the 360 or using component to vga converter ...)

On my friends older 17" LG flatscreen it wouldn't work with hdmi>dvi and not even with my component to vga converter ...

You will also have to take care of sound, as hdmi carries sound and the dvi don't so you are left with only optical out option. If you can connect spdif in with toslink on your pc then you are fine ... or if your pc speaker supports toslink.
You might get away with connecting the crappy bundled AV cable though and take sound from there, just connect the white and red RCA connectors to your speakers you might need converters for this though but you should be able to find those in any audio/video store. Just remember to configure your sound settings on the ps3 accordingly.

And lastly one odd side note I've noticed on my monitor. When hdmi>dvi cable is connected from the ps3 to my monitor it is very important the monitor is either on or in standby mode before I boot up the ps3, failure to do this will result in a black screen when turning on the monitor. Only by pulling the power cord on the monitor will give an image when rebooting the ps3 and trying again. Quite odd and I have no clue to as why this is so. However I figure this is something to do with my monitor and not the ps3 but I'm throwing it out there just in case.

EDIT: Never mind about hdcp, you're fine as your monitor is hdcp compliant.

ATOJAR
02-10-09, 04:39 AM
Forgive me for sounding stupid here but what does my pc have to do with it? ... cant i just connect the PS3 to my monitor via HDMI To DVI-D lead? why do i need the pc to do this?

I would have thought connect via the above method thenm its just a matter of getting some sound to work!

(sorry for all the questions i havent owned a console since when the PS2's where released lol)

EciDemon
02-10-09, 07:23 AM
Well your pc might accept spdif in (toslink) and you might have analogue surround speakers. Then you could connect your ps3 to spdif in on your pc and get surround sound that's all :)

For me it's no problem, I have both pc and my consoles directly connected to my big Hk receiver.

Your best bet I think would be using the ps1/2/3 AV cable. There you have stereo out in terms of a red and white RCA male plug. If your pc speakers have a 3.5mm stereo plug then you need a converter to hook up the ps3 to them.

ATOJAR
02-10-09, 01:45 PM
Ok so to get the monitor working i use a HDMI to DVI lead.

For the sound would i be able to use a digital out (optical) cable for the sound and use a converter (click me (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTICAL-TOSLINK-PLUG-TO-3-5mm-MINISOCKET-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ350122643558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3501226435 58&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18#ebayphotohosting)) to be able to plug my headset for sound?

ViN86
02-10-09, 02:05 PM
Ok so to get the monitor working i use a HDMI to DVI lead.

For the sound would i be able to use a digital out (optical) cable for the sound and use a converter (click me (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTICAL-TOSLINK-PLUG-TO-3-5mm-MINISOCKET-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ350122643558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3501226435 58&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18#ebayphotohosting)) to be able to plug my headset for sound?

i think that converter will turn it into a digital signal on the 3.5mm jack.

you would then need to run it into your PC or a converter to convert it to something that can play on your headphones. (i think...)

does your computer have a digital in? (ie SPDIF or 3.5mm digital in)

ViN86
02-10-09, 02:12 PM
get a PS3 VGA cable

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp-49-en-70-1pn5.html

then you wont have to worry about HDCP and you will have audio. you wont notice any difference in signal. it will still output 1080p.

ATOJAR
02-10-09, 02:25 PM
Well i just found a simple solution! and i already have everything i need. :D

HDMI carries both an audio and video signal. However, DVI is a video-only connection. In this situation, you must connect a separate audio cable to your TV, or surround sound system.

Most TVs only have stereo inputs (red and white RCA cables) which you can get on your PS3 by using the standard AV cable that was included with the PS3. Just connect the red and white cables to the HI-FI, along with your HDMI to DVI cable to the monitor.

However that only gets you stereo sound. If you want surround sound, you'll have to use an optical audio cable and connect it to your surround sound receiver.

In either case, you will need to go into the PS3's setup menu and under Audio settings, turn OFF HDMI audio. Otherwise, the PS3 will only be sending the audio signal on the HDMI cable.

ViN86
02-10-09, 02:31 PM
Well i just found a simple solution! and i already have everything i need. :D

oh, well that works too lol :)

ATOJAR
02-10-09, 02:43 PM
Or yet another say around it is with a bluetooth headset lol.

Bman212121
02-10-09, 05:11 PM
Okay so anyway, I can finish my reply.

Your monitor supports HDCP, so using that HDMI to DVI cable will work just fine. Your monitor should be able to run the full 1080p just fine because of it's resolution, you'll just have some really small bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

For audio here is what I would do. Use the Yellow/Red/White cable that came with your PS3 to get sound. Buy one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882196031 (Can usually be found at Radioshack or locally, just couldn't find a link)

Hook the Red / White from the PS3 into that, and put the 3.5mm end into the line in on the back of your sound card. Tell your computer to use that as the recording input, and unmute that for playback. That allows you to use either your speakers or headphones, and still be able to adjust volume levels.

The only problem that you'd have is needing to unplug your pc from the monitor every time you wanted to use the PS3. You can hook the PS3 up using VGA (analog) but then if you wanted to play Blu-Rays or something HDCP might come into play. The most elegant solution is just a DVI/HDMI switcher that is HDCP compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Smart-HDMI-Switch/dp/B0015YWKYY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234306734&sr=1-2

Using something like that you can hook the PC, PS3, and even something else to your monitor, have the signal all digital.

If that's too much of a hassle you could use analog like Vin86 listed. It shouldn't be a problem with games, only certain movies might have issues. It would technically be possible to use optical sound from the PS3 into the back of the sound card if you had the right cable, but I'm not sure if you'll be receiving 5.1 sound anyway, so it's just easier to use the Red/White analogs.

Or yet another say around it is with a bluetooth headset lol.

That would make it easier as well.

ATOJAR
02-11-09, 12:34 AM
Hmmm sounds like a good idea to buy a 3.5mm Stereo Male To Dual RCA Female Adapter you linked to hook it up to my pc, As for the HDMI Switch ... nice idea but cant say im really bothered about swapping unplugging pc/ps3, ill be swapping anyway when i play games with the wifey in the living room.

Anyway i just ordered the HDMI to DVI lead & ill pop to a local electrical store to buy a 3.5mm Stereo Male To Dual RCA Female Adapter you linked.

With abit of luck everything should to smoohly with all you guys help. Much appreciated. :D

(ill let you know how i get on)

ViN86
02-11-09, 10:24 PM
ordered a 10ft HDMI 1.3a cable with gold connectors and ferrite cores, only $10 from monoprice :D

i am going to hook my PS3 up to my 2407 and see how it looks.

ATOJAR
02-14-09, 06:29 AM
Well got my HDMI to DVI cable & connected it to my monitor, Connected the red & white AUX jacks to my HI-FI and all fine and dandy, HD gaming on my 24" monitor with sound from my HI-FI, Cheers for your input guys :D

I must say the graphics are stunning, the textures, lighting & shadows ect are just as good as my pc(well on fight nightround 3 anyway) ... the only thing the PS3 lacks is AA, after playing pc games with full wack graphics at 1920x1200 with a x4 - x6 AA in most games the edgies are quite noticeable on a PS3 but you dont notice it after a while.

Cant see me playing FPS on the PS3 either, they seem so slow especially when im used to playing with a mouse at 2000dpi, think ill stick to the sports/fighting games, ProEvo09, fight nights ect.

ATOJAR
02-15-09, 09:14 AM
Ok, quick question .... ive been playing fine on my monitor BUT the wifey decided whe wanted to play singstar so i set the PS3 up on the TV in the living room, turned to AV and nothing ... the screen stayed black(its not a LCD/HD TV) ..... I had to re-setup the PS3 to my monitor and go into the setings and do the "reset to default settings" .... how do i make it so i can manually change between a ordinary TV & my HD monitor without having to do the "reset to default settings" every time? what settings do i change?

ATOJAR
02-15-09, 03:22 PM
Never mind, heres what i done to get it working.

1 - Turn on TV and set input to port being used.
2 - Make sure PS3 is connected via correct cable.
3 - Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.

EciDemon
02-17-09, 06:59 AM
By holding the button like you did you reset audio/video settings. Very important if you connect to a tv with anything other then HDMI (if that was what you previously used)
The ps3 will then revert back to it's lowest setting like 576i (if you're in pal region).

The ps3 will not detect what's currently connected other then hdmi.

ViN86
02-17-09, 09:04 AM
Never mind, heres what i done to get it working.

1 - Turn on TV and set input to port being used.
2 - Make sure PS3 is connected via correct cable.
3 - Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.

yep, i was just about to tell you to hold the ps3 power button and it will reset the video settings.

if you install linux on it, you can also hold the power button to boot to the PS dashboard.