PDA

View Full Version : 4 years with Dell + New Job = New Rig ... =:-)

DanioJ
02-11-09, 01:39 AM
Hei all,

I am currently running a Dell Dimension 8400 which i stupidly purchased 4 years ago on an EPP scheme. I have recently been studying for a masters degree and prior to that I moved countries, coupled with lack of $$$ meant no upgrade.

Now I have a great new job and have decided to seriously treat myself. I have put aside $2,500 AUD (appx. 1100 GBP) for a new rig. Id like to include a kick ass monitor and speaker set in that if possible, but if not Im flexible.

I am basically after opinions as to what i should go for. I would like to use it for gaming and general use. If possible id like it to be good enough so I do not have to upgrade for the next 2 years and play any game during that time with everything maxed out. I was thinking the 9800GT's sli would be good for GFX, but I see now that there are newer cards out so I thought id write this....

Any thoughts? :)

bob saget
02-11-09, 01:44 AM
hey bro

one thing you DO have nowadays, is a mother of a crapload of options. AMD, Intel, nVidia......
Stick around, guys on here know their sh*t :)
I probably wont be able to explain it very well, nor do i understand everything.

Redeemed
02-11-09, 01:54 AM
hey bro

one thing you DO have nowadays, is a mother of a crapload of options. AMD, Intel, nVidia......
Stick around, guys on here know their sh*t :)
I probably wont be able to explain it very well, nor do i understand everything.

He's been a member since 02 bro- I'm pretty sure he's familiar with this site. ;) :lol:

OP... From what I gather, anything from both ATi and nVidia on the 40nm process will offer very little performance gains, if any at all, over what is currently available. The main advantage would be lower cost... but that's about it. This is based off of rumors though... so don't go taking that as a fact.

Any current Intel or AMD quad (Q9xxx series for Intel, PhII series for AMD, or Core i7 for Intel if you want the bleeding edge) will last you a *really* long time for processing power. Drop in 4GB of RAM, that should last you for a long time yet, and leave you the ability to upgrade to 8GB later if you need to (most motherboards support at least 8GB now). Drop in a Radeon HD4870 1GB or GeForece GTX260 Core260 or GTX285 and you'll be set for a long time in regards to the GPU.

Those are my suggestions on specific parts. Hope it helps ya'. :D

bob saget
02-11-09, 02:20 AM
He's been a member since 02 bro- I'm pretty sure he's familiar with this site. ;) :lol:

OP... From what I gather, anything from both ATi and nVidia on the 40nm process will offer very little performance gains, if any at all, over what is currently available. The main advantage would be lower cost... but that's about it. This is based off of rumors though... so don't go taking that as a fact.

Any current Intel or AMD quad (Q9xxx series for Intel, PhII series for AMD, or Core i7 for Intel if you want the bleeding edge) will last you a *really* long time for processing power. Drop in 4GB of RAM, that should last you for a long time yet, and leave you the ability to upgrade to 8GB later if you need to (most motherboards support at least 8GB now). Drop in a Radeon HD4870 1GB or GeForece GTX260 Core260 or GTX285 and you'll be set for a long time in regards to the GPU.

Those are my suggestions on specific parts. Hope it helps ya'. :D

i have been a member on some sites for a long time, but i still have no idea how to do alien autopsies :bleh: :bleh: *x files theme*

CaptNKILL
02-11-09, 02:57 AM
Hei all,

I am currently running a Dell Dimension 8400 which i stupidly purchased 4 years ago on an EPP scheme. I have recently been studying for a masters degree and prior to that I moved countries, coupled with lack of $$$ meant no upgrade.

Now I have a great new job and have decided to seriously treat myself. I have put aside $2,500 AUD (appx. 1100 GBP) for a new rig. I’d like to include a kick ass monitor and speaker set in that if possible, but if not I’m flexible.

I am basically after opinions as to what i should go for. I would like to use it for gaming and general use. If possible id like it to be good enough so I do not have to upgrade for the next 2 years and play any game during that time with everything maxed out. I was thinking the 9800GT's sli would be good for GFX, but I see now that there are newer cards out so I thought id write this....

Any thoughts? :)

Get an Intel Core i7 920, any X58 motherboard (they're all pretty much top of the line and are priced accordingly) and 6Gb (3x2Gb) of DDR3-1333. I recommend Gigabyte brand motherboards myself because of the dual bios feature and the overall high quality.

An EVGA Geforce GTX 260 216 55nm is probably the best bang for the buck right now.

A good solid 600+ watt power supply from a top brand is a requirement for a high end rig.

Hard drive(s) will depend on your needs, but two of the best drives you can get right now are the Western Digital SE16 640Gb or the Western Digital Black 640Gb. They're both extremely fast. Seagates new 7200.12 drives are probably the fastest you can get but I'm not totally sold on them yet and they have yet to release their whole product line.

Samsung SATA DVD burners are among the best you can buy and they're pretty cheap.

All that's left really is a case. I'd recommend browsing through them and picking out some that you like the looks of and we'll let you know if they'd be good for your system. If you aren't doing any crazy overclocking then anything should be fine as long as its physically big enough for your graphics card.

Others can probably recommend you a good monitor. I'm still on a high end (old) CRT so I don't have much experience with LCDs. :p

nekrosoft13
02-11-09, 03:24 AM
good post capt, i would write a bit more but it late and i'm tired