PDA

View Full Version : Mobo suggestion for Q9400?

Crow_Nest
02-11-09, 07:29 AM
Just got more than enough cash for an upgrade, and i thought this would be a great opportunity to upgrade my crappy old CPU. Hopefully my parents would agree to it. -.-

Have my sights on the Q9400. To be honest ive never really had any luck when it comes to OC'ing CPUs in my life. Anyway, can you guys suggest a decent motherboard to couple with the Q9400? Or should i just go for the Q9550 since it has a higher multiplier and cache? I have enough to spend, but im also not willing to spend that much. My dad bought a C2D last year with some random gigabyte mobo and he managed to bring the CPU up from about 2.0 GHz to 2.6 GHz with a breeze just by increasing the FSB. I know this will vary depending on your mobo and processor, but since his friend managed to achieve the same results with the exact same mobo and CPU i thought it might be promising. Not sure of what the model of the mobo was though, but i think it was a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L.

EciDemon
02-11-09, 08:18 AM
All the intel cpus now days are very clock friendly and most mobos will have features to do some overclocking.

Gigabyte is a pretty good brand I think with reasonable price tag. I went with an MSI p35 based mobo as it was a bit cheaper. If you're getting something now then maybe you should look at a p45 based chipset, the successor to the p35. However you might find a p35 based mobo dirt cheap.

If you are planing to OC with only FSB just make sure you get Ram that supports the FSB you're aiming for. Ram is cheap so there's little point in getting expensive easy to OC ram.

At first I got pc 6400 ram. Default fsb speed was 333 mhz but ram supports 400mhz so I upped the fsb to that (giving me 3.2ghz with 8x multi). Ram would not go much higher so I later bought faster ram and upped the fsb yet again.

Do spend some cash on a good cpu cooler and some case fans as well.

It wont matter much what mobo you get these days, you will be able to OC a good margin. What differs is when you get to the more extreme clocks. Most E6750's will do 3.4 - 3.6 ghz but above that and you need a bit of luck with the components you got.

Retrolock
02-11-09, 11:04 AM
Gigabyte P45 UD3P is good overclocking motherboard, according to the users in xtremesystems.org. Honestly I'd get that if I had desire to do so. But I've decided I'll go I7 if I'm gonna upgrade. My Q9400 hits 3.6ghz easily on my board but I can't seem to break the 450mhz FSB.

I'd go for Q9550 E0 if you can swing it coz it's been getting to 4ghz easy.

Crow_Nest
02-11-09, 11:08 AM
I see. Perhaps i'll wait till the i7 drops the prices of some of the older quads here before purchase, apparently im forced to use the money to buy school books and stuff first. Hopefully there'll be enough after that...