PDA

View Full Version : FEAR 2 Console Thread

tornadog
02-11-09, 09:23 AM
I am surprised even the console fanboys are busy in the pc thread for this game. Am I mistaken in my assumption the game is strictly a console port.

I have been reading quite a few threads on projectorigincommunity.com about how the pc version suffers from various issues common to console ports like letterbox, lack of quicksaves, etc. I am actually tempted to buy this for the 360 or ps3. At least improve my shooting skills using the controller!! Any comparisons on the 2 versions yet?

|MaguS|
02-11-09, 10:04 AM
fps + controller = ERROR!

Not the case at all... many fps games control just fine with a controller....

thor1182
02-11-09, 11:09 AM
Just fine is not good enough. It works but it could be better, it's simply not as fast and precise as with a mouse.
I don't understand why MS or Sony don't provide mouse support on consoles, at least for the singleplayer.

that reasoning is getting a bit old.

if people actually played with the joysticks as often as they did with the key board and mouse, they would realize the differences start to wash.

jAkUp
02-11-09, 11:12 AM

if people actually played with the joysticks as often as they did with the key board and mouse, they would realize the differences start to wash.

A mouse will always be superior due to the fact as it is a more precise device and can move in a wider range of directions. Even devs know this, that is why main console games have auto aim, etc.

|MaguS|
02-11-09, 11:18 AM
A mouse will always be superior due to the fact as it is a more precise device and can move in a wider range of directions. Even devs know this, that is why main console games have auto aim, etc.

I haven't played a console FPS that had auto aim in a long time... I think Halo 1/2 was the last one (didn't play 3 much).

yes Mouse is more precise but it doesn't fit the enviroment that console games are played (not everyone has a lapdesk nor wants to lean forward and rest their mouse on the coffee table while playing)... and its not the consoles fault for the most part but rather the developers so again blaming the console is stupid. Sony has no resistrictions on allowing mouse support (MS Does), its up to the developer to include it.

NarcissistZero
02-11-09, 11:23 AM
If a game is made the right way for a controller it can be perfectly fine with dual analog sticks... Halo for isntance, or Call of Duty. A lot of games are not done well though, and suck for aiming... FEAR was one of those, and so is FEAR 2.

Anyway, I compared the demos and FEAR 2 is a lot better on PC. I don't know where the OP got the opposite impression.

|MaguS|
02-11-09, 11:27 AM
Anyway, I compared the demos and FEAR 2 is a lot better on PC. I don't know where the OP got the opposite impression.

Don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that. The PC version is of course the better one but the console version is not bad in anyway. If someone doesn't have the rig capable of running the game then the console version is a great alternative (unlike how FEAR was on the console).

NarcissistZero
02-11-09, 11:42 AM
Don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that. The PC version is of course the better one but the console version is not bad in anyway. If someone doesn't have the rig capable of running the game then the console version is a great alternative (unlike how FEAR was on the console).

I don't like how FEAR or FEAR 2 have handled their control setups on console, and also I found the textures quite bad and framerate sort of iffy. This was on PS3 though, I don't know how the 360 demo is, my system is not hooked up.

I would suggest the console version as equal in many cases, even superior at times (Saint's Row 2), but this is not one of those times. Considering the game is well optimized, I would suggest anyone with a decent rig go for the PC version.

nekrosoft13
02-11-09, 11:59 AM

read his previous post and you will see where and why.

HiCZoK4
02-11-09, 12:20 PM
It plays very well with a controller.
Offcourse its better with m+kb like most of fps but its plays just fine. And When I am not looking for pro hardcore gaming I just seat with controller and enjoy the game

firehawk
02-11-09, 12:41 PM

the diff is normally a game making up for lack of precision with a built in auto adjust aiming system of some sort. The diff is huge depending on how much of a finicky prick you are.

thor1182
02-11-09, 03:12 PM
the diff is normally a game making up for lack of precision with a built in auto adjust aiming system of some sort. The diff is huge depending on how much of a finicky prick you are.

it also sounds like a lot of people failed to properly evolve use of their thumbs when playing games.

evilchris
02-11-09, 03:23 PM
Just fine is not good enough. It works but it could be better, it's simply not as fast and precise as with a mouse.
I don't understand why MS or Sony don't provide mouse support on consoles, at least for the singleplayer.

Here is why: because no one cars.

NarcissistZero
02-11-09, 04:10 PM
Here is why: because no one cars.

Obviously some people do. If they allowed mouse control on consoles, they'd kill one of the big three reasons to play games on PC (the other two being mods and graphics).

LovingSticky
02-12-09, 11:02 AM
fps + controller = ERROR!

Gears of War (2) is very nicely playable on Xbox 360. It relly depends on game design.

nekrosoft13
02-12-09, 12:04 PM
Obviously some people do. If they allowed mouse control on consoles, they'd kill one of the big three reasons to play games on PC (the other two being mods and graphics).

and introduce a huge issue, all the people will gamepads in MP matches would start to complain that they are getting slaughtered.

it would divide the community

nekrosoft13
02-12-09, 12:05 PM
Gears of War (2) is very nicely playable on Xbox 360. It relly depends on game design.

gow is not fps, so your argument is void

|MaguS|
02-12-09, 12:53 PM
gow is not fps, so your argument is void

But it uses the same control scheme... the only difference between it and an FPS is that you see the character and not only the gun.

NarcissistZero
02-12-09, 01:11 PM
I agree the aiming for Gears is good... it has a targeting reticule the size of a quarter on a sticky-note though, and is not a good game for precise shooting.

It works well as designed though, which as stated is the most important part.

EciDemon
02-13-09, 02:42 AM
Well as long as aiming is precise then I have no problem in fps or tps with a game pad. It worked well in GoW1/2, Uncharted, Mass Effect and Army of Two to name a few. Aiming in Killzone 2 demo was rather horrible though. Felt like they added something similar to mouse acceleration on the sticks where movement is not constant making you over shoot your aiming >=(