PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good reason to get 7, I only got Vista for DX10...

Pages : [1] 2

XDanger
02-12-09, 07:13 PM
Is there something In it that once I use it I wont be able to live without?

I couldnt really give a toss about most OS stuff since I'm either looking at the internet or playing games.

mailman2
02-12-09, 07:51 PM
You'd be better off with windows 7 and sell Vista. Windows 7 is faster, uses less resources and basically fixes everything about Vista.

XDanger
02-15-09, 05:53 PM
Meh, Will it make my downloads faster or make Crysis faster than XP or make web pages open quicker?

I have plenty of hardware resources for an OS.

Whens the next windows set for release? I might skip this one.

Or will Microsoft stop supporting Vista as a properly working Vista will give people less reasons to switch to 7?

I don't think I'll be selling Vista unless I sell my PC

shabby
02-15-09, 07:24 PM
With win7 you'll get dx11, yeah 7-11... shake and bake!

ChAsM
02-15-09, 08:07 PM
Meh, Will it make my downloads faster or make Crysis faster than XP or make web pages open quicker?

I have plenty of hardware resources for an OS.

Whens the next windows set for release? I might skip this one.

Or will Microsoft stop supporting Vista as a properly working Vista will give people less reasons to switch to 7?

I don't think I'll be selling Vista unless I sell my PC

It certainly won't make Crysis faster than XP, but it certainly improves on Vista. And that's DX 10. If you like the candy, it plays better on 7 than Vista.

Still a lot of bugs in 7, though. But runs like Vista on steroids.

PeacE

XDanger
02-22-09, 04:34 AM
Will 7 bring back multimonitor support lost with Vista, That would be a major selling point for me.

Tr1cK
02-22-09, 09:10 AM
Will 7 bring back multimonitor support lost with Vista, That would be a major selling point for me.

huh?

I've used dual displays on both. 7 even had native support for it and ran both my monitors without having my video card driver installed.

six_storm
02-22-09, 03:04 PM
W7 > Vista IMO. Even though it's only Vista with a SP "feel", I still think it's the better of the two OS's. As for DX, don't buy it for DX11. We all know that DX10 was a joke ;)

Mr Bigman
02-22-09, 04:28 PM
is the fershizzle my nizzle peeps.

I have to admit, 7 is the fershizzle my nizzle peeps.

XDanger
02-22-09, 04:37 PM
huh?

I've used dual displays on both. 7 even had native support for it and ran both my monitors without having my video card driver installed.

In games my good fellow, in games.

Tr1cK
02-22-09, 08:42 PM

You still need to elaborate.

gimme
02-22-09, 09:11 PM
You'd be better off with windows 7 and sell Vista. Windows 7 is faster, uses less resources and basically fixes everything about Vista.

I think everyone is well aware of your hatred for vista mailman2, to bad 99.9 percent of what you have to say about it is exagerated beyond all reality. :rolleyes2

crainger
02-23-09, 12:42 AM

That is more of a drive limitation than Vista itself.

methimpikehoses
02-23-09, 01:13 AM
is the fershizzle my nizzle peeps.

I have to admit, 7 is the fershizzle my nizzle peeps.

:rofl

XDanger
02-23-09, 06:21 AM
That is more of a driver limitation than Vista itself.

Not according to NVidia but maybe they're being lazy.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/technology_vista_faq.html

Q: Are there Control Panel features that were available under Windows XP that are no longer available on Windows Vista?
A. There are some Windows XP features that will no longer be available on Windows Vista due to changes in the core operating system. These features are:

* Horizontal and Vertical desktop span multi-monitor modes (note: Dual View and Clone mode display options are still available)
* NVKeystone display correction
* Full screen video mirror
* Video zoom

mailman2
02-23-09, 09:50 AM
"Will span be back in 7?"

Have you tried the Windows7 beta? Should be easy to find out.

crainger
02-23-09, 01:25 PM
Maybe to do with DWM, Areo and all that.

and they're being lazy.

Not according to NVidia but maybe they're being lazy.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/technology_vista_faq.html

Q: Are there Control Panel features that were available under Windows XP that are no longer available on Windows Vista?
A. There are some Windows XP features that will no longer be available on Windows Vista due to changes in the core operating system. These features are:

* Horizontal and Vertical desktop span multi-monitor modes (note: Dual View and Clone mode display options are still available)
* NVKeystone display correction
* Full screen video mirror
* Video zoom

XDanger
02-23-09, 03:37 PM
Have you tried the Windows7 beta? Should be easy to find out.

I have the iso (using in Virtualbox) but cant burn it and it would mean swapping a drive, but still thats a beta so I wouldn't go by that anyway.

Whats Microsoft's official word on the matter if any?

mailman2
02-23-09, 07:28 PM
I have the iso (using in Virtualbox) but cant burn it and it would mean swapping a drive, but still thats a beta so I wouldn't go by that anyway.

Whats Microsoft's official word on the matter if any?

None, it's a beta still.

pkirby11
02-24-09, 02:52 PM
If your system runs Windows Vista just fine, Windows 7 will run about the same. From what I've experienced with the beta, your mileage may vary. Look Windows 7 is great but I gotta see the prices before I plop another $250 or more for an OS that gives me no new advantages. The fast loading is true, on a machine that couldn't handle Vista but again from personal tests I see no increase in Windows 7 running on a machine that far exceeds the recommended Vista specs. Again you may experience a difference.

Tr1cK
02-24-09, 04:16 PM
If your system runs Windows Vista just fine, Windows 7 will run about the same. From what I've experienced with the beta, your mileage may vary. Look Windows 7 is great but I gotta see the prices before I plop another $250 or more for an OS that gives me no new advantages. The fast loading is true, on a machine that couldn't handle Vista but again from personal tests I see no increase in Windows 7 running on a machine that far exceeds the recommended Vista specs. Again you may experience a difference.

What new advantages did Vista give you when you adopted it? DX10 perhaps in it's limited support?

XDanger
02-28-09, 07:41 AM
I forgot to mention x64 ,That was the other reason I got Vista.

Tr1cK
02-28-09, 09:26 AM
I forgot to mention x64 ,That was the other reason I got Vista.

x64 was available prior to Vista.

jeffmd
02-28-09, 05:43 PM
XD, uhmm, re read it. dual view (ie, multi monitor) is still available.

What vista dosnt do is allow you to make one desktop out of 2 screens. they need to be 2 different desktops.

The last 2 were easily done when the display was 2d so its understandable they got jacked when it went to 3d.

SLippe
02-28-09, 11:10 PM
My CoD4 would get stuck in a sound loop and freeze the PC. I don't know if it was the way I installed the sound drivers or what, but I got rid of Win7 after that. I've got another (faster) hard drive to try it on, again, and hopefully CoD4 will run right this time.

*crosses fingers*

Question; Do I need to install the Alchemy sound drivers for a 2.1 sound system or is it only for 5.1 and higher?