PDA

View Full Version : One Atom not fast enough, try two

Bman212121
02-12-09, 08:44 PM
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=664&type=expert&pid=1

Performance

The performance results for the Atom 330 processor are actually very impressive - in a lot of our tests the scaling percentages from a single core to the dual-core CPU are approaching or over 100%! Of course, it helps with the applications we are benchmarking with are basically starved for processing power with any of derivative of the Atom or Nano processor so that every additional floating point operation available is quickly gobbled up.

The singular red result in our testing suite was with WinRAR - a test was likely bottlenecked by the storage system on the ION platform; I can find no other reason why the multi-core would run the test any slower at the same clock speed as the single-core. There are seven tests that I would call nearly linear scaling - anything at 88% or above in this case - for just about 2x total speed increase when adding in the second core. If only we saw GPU scaling results like this with SLI and CrossFire...

The review shows pretty good scaling overall. This would make the platform a lot more enticing if you wanted to use it as a HTPC. It's still going to be a little underpowered, but given the size you can carry it around with you. Add a USB TV tuner and it could become a compact PVR. :)

mullet
02-12-09, 11:54 PM
HTPC + AMD = Winner.

CaptNKILL
02-13-09, 01:03 AM
If they coupled a better GPU and chipset with the Atom 330 it'd be much more interesting. The 945 chipset is ancient and the GMA 950 is pretty much worthless these days. For only around $85 its not a bad combo, but it just has too many limitations.

If they could couple an Atom 330 with an Intel 4500HD for the same price I'd actually consider getting one.

You can get an Athlon X2 5050e (2.6Ghz 45w dual core) and a Zotac Geforce 8200 board for around $130 and that would be a HELL of a lot more powerful.

Where I'd like to see the Atom 330 (or the 230) is in a tiny handheld multimedia\gaming device. Like a PSP only larger and with a touch screen and a Windows OS.

LordJuanlo
02-13-09, 04:16 AM
I'll build an HTPC as soon as Ion motherboards are available

mullet
02-13-09, 09:48 AM
I would really like to see the VIA NANO if they would ever release it!!!

Bman212121
02-13-09, 10:25 PM
If they coupled a better GPU and chipset with the Atom 330 it'd be much more interesting. The 945 chipset is ancient and the GMA 950 is pretty much worthless these days. For only around $85 its not a bad combo, but it just has too many limitations.

If they could couple an Atom 330 with an Intel 4500HD for the same price I'd actually consider getting one.

You can get an Athlon X2 5050e (2.6Ghz 45w dual core) and a Zotac Geforce 8200 board for around $130 and that would be a HELL of a lot more powerful.

Where I'd like to see the Atom 330 (or the 230) is in a tiny handheld multimedia\gaming device. Like a PSP only larger and with a touch screen and a Windows OS.

READ THE REVIEW NUB!!! :p

This system is paired with a GF9400M GPU. It would crush that little 8200! The system is capable of 1080p playback using H.264 GPU acceleration. :)

I would really like to see the VIA NANO if they would ever release it!!!

Why? The dual core atom is faster than the NANO in almost every benchmark.

CaptNKILL
02-13-09, 11:02 PM
READ THE REVIEW NUB!!! :p

This system is paired with a GF9400M GPU. It would crush that little 8200! The system is capable of 1080p playback using H.264 GPU acceleration. :)

Oh dur. :retard: :p

I thought it turned out that nvidia wasn't allowed to make the Ion? If this is actually going to be produced this is ****ing awesome. :lol:

I just assumed this review was the Atom 330 board that's been available at newegg for weeks.

Bman212121
02-13-09, 11:10 PM
Nope, this is a fully functional platform.

I think it could be pretty sweet also. While it is true that a dedicated HTPC will have more power than something like this, the size and power consumption of this platform are what make it enticing. Once they get the power management features all squared away the whole system will probably draw less power than the cpu or gpu alone from a typical HTPC. You could stand to leave one of these on 24/7 without worrying about electric bills.

CaptNKILL
02-13-09, 11:38 PM
Nope, this is a fully functional platform.

I think it could be pretty sweet also. While it is true that a dedicated HTPC will have more power than something like this, the size and power consumption of this platform are what make it enticing. Once they get the power management features all squared away the whole system will probably draw less power than the cpu or gpu alone from a typical HTPC. You could stand to leave one of these on 24/7 without worrying about electric bills.

I can't help but think that the platform deserves a slightly faster CPU though. Maybe a 2.0 or 2.4Ghz Atom dual core. With that kind of power it'd make a perfect HTPC setup.

Still, I'd love to see one of these in a tiny hand-held gaming\multimedia device. Windows-based preferably. ;)

mullet
02-13-09, 11:48 PM
Why? The dual core atom is faster than the NANO in almost every benchmark.

Yeah single core NANO vs atom 330 dual core. This will last for a little while.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10129923-64.html
The dual-core version of the Via Nano--due in late 2009 or 2010--may use a Fujitsu 45-nanometer or TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company) 40-nanometer manufacturing process, according to HKEPC. The Intel Atom is based on 45-nanometer process technology.

(Correction: the Via Nano 3000 will not be dual-core. The dual-core version of Nano will ship in the second half of 2009.)

The Via chip may also include SSE4 instruction support, HKEPC said. Generally, SSE4 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 4) instructions speed up multimedia applications.

a12ctic
02-14-09, 07:05 PM

Hell of a lot more powerful, and doesn't use much more energy. The 945 chipset is a complete beast on power. That thing uses at least twice as much as the 780G series.

edit: 25.1 more watts exactly. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997-3.html

The energy-saving solution from AMD offers more possibilities: it has three times as many SATA ports, possesses better onboard graphics performance, and can also support two monitors. Unlike the Intel solution, an HD resolution (1920x1200) with high picture quality is possible through DVI/HDMI ports. And early information suggests that the AMD Athlon 64 2000+ should cost close to $90.

In terms of noise level, AMD can again beat the Intel solution: in our test the AMD energy-saving platform was able to run without a fan. Due to the high energy consumption of Intel’s chipset, the Atom board requires active cooling for stable and error-free operation.

Although the Athlon 64 2000+ uses more power than Intel’s Atom 230 CPU, the entire system requires less energy both when idle and during full load operation because of the chipset. AMD currently offers the most energy-saving desktop platform on the market, and requirements could be lowered even further if the manufacturer of a 780G board decided to use a single-phase controller with other energy-saving components.

mullet
02-14-09, 08:26 PM
I have to admit I do like my 780G, DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray all play great.

six_storm
02-15-09, 09:08 AM
I have to admit I do like my 780G, DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray all play great.

+1. My HTPC (AMD + 780G) plays any and everything I can think of. Of course, I haven't switched over to Blu-Ray yet but I have my plans for the switch. ;)

mullet
02-15-09, 09:12 AM
Once you watch some Blu-Ray movies you ask yourself why didn't I do this earlier. Hey put your HTPC spec's in your sig.

six_storm
02-15-09, 09:31 AM
Once you watch some Blu-Ray movies you ask yourself why didn't I do this earlier. Hey put your HTPC spec's in your sig.

Well, I only have a 720P TV right now, I really want to wait until I get a 1080P set.

I did have the specs in my sig but some other things filled it up. But here they are:

AMD 4050e CPU - Gigabyte MA78GM-SH2 Mobo - 2GB Corsair RAM - 1x 74GB Raptor Drive (OS) - 1x 500GB HDD (Storage) - 1x DVD-ROM Drive - Lian-Li MiniATX Case

rage10
02-19-09, 10:40 PM
if this is released as a netbook id buy it in a heartbeat. all the current ones except an asus model that costs 600$ are crap. this will wipe the floor with the asus for half the price.