PDA

View Full Version : GTA 4 or Fallout 3 for PC

Pages : [1] 2

Yojack
02-13-09, 12:44 PM
Don't have time to play both right now (nor the money to buy) so which gives the best gaming experience between the two. Thanks for the help. :D

Sazar
02-13-09, 01:31 PM
Fallout 3 is just plain more fun and engaging and interesting :)

GTA has it's moments but it's the same as GTA 3 onwards, with better graphics.

Q
02-13-09, 02:12 PM
It depends on how much you played Oblivion, honestly.

I played Oblvion until I was blue in the face and loved it. Probably put 40-60 hours into that game a few years ago - something I hadn't done since Final Fantasy 7. When Shivering Isles came out, I started to play it and it was really just "been there, done that". It's sad, but its the same thing with Fallout 3. NO, it's not completely the same game. But there are enough "little things" and basic game play similarities for me that it seems like "been there, done that".

If you never played Oblivion, or if you were left hungry for more, or if you just wish Oblivion was made in a post apocalyptic setting, you will love Fallout 3.

GTA 4 is a great game with a great storyline. I've played all of the GTA games from start to finish. But, I would apply the SAME advice to GTA as I did Fallout 3. It just so happens that my limit with the GTA series has lasted a bit longer than Oblivion for some reason.

If you haven't played games in either series, and your more of a PC gamer, I would recommend Fallout 3 for the RPG elements, customization, and better optimization. If you own a console, I would get GTA 4. Especially if you own a PS3.

Mainly because I would sell it to you for VERY cheap. ;)

Destroy
02-13-09, 03:05 PM
Another vote for Fallout 3

Has excellent performance. Lots of adventure. FSAA. Is the better port. Has tons of excellent mods. Mod available to make it totally PCcentric. Requires some brains to play.

six_storm
02-13-09, 03:50 PM
GTA4 FTW.

wysiwyg
02-13-09, 04:05 PM
i didnt like FO3, was laborious and boring (loved oblivion though)

i vote GTA IV

ChaoticNick
02-13-09, 04:31 PM
Fallout 3, it was a deeper experience for me.

K007
02-13-09, 04:34 PM
Fallout 3 hands down.

slivski
02-13-09, 05:08 PM
+1 for GTA IV.

I have both IV and Fallout 3, and almost every night I play GTA online for about an hour or so, while leaving my fallout to collect dust. Fallout 3 is an awesome game, and I did enjoy playing it (and still do if i push myself to double click the icon), but it doesn't compare to gta IMO.

esir
02-13-09, 05:15 PM
Fallout 3 FTW.I also played GTA 4 but i bored.I think nothing special about GTA 4.
At the end,everyone has different taste:o

NarcissistZero
02-13-09, 06:27 PM
They're very different games, and both are worth owning.

Fallout 3 is an RPG with an ok story but great exploration and role-playing moments.

Grand Theft Auto IV is an action game with great driving and shooting, a phenomenal story and a massive detailed world, but the missions can get repetitive, and it is a system hog.

$n][pErMan
02-13-09, 06:39 PM
GTA IV if you have a system that can play it in its true glory :)

Yojack
02-13-09, 07:02 PM
Thats why I love this forum :D I run a pretty beefy system with a 280gtx so both games should run well. Thank you for all your input so far guys, I really appreciate the educated comments. I actually was thinking that it would be a lot of GTA votes with all the game of the year nods it got etc...but Fallout 3 definately got a lot of love. I played oblivion a lot and loved it and so fallout 3 would be hmmm same voice actors...hmm...same thing here too. That is what I was afraid of. On the other hand I LOVED Mafia and GTA4 reminds me of that in many ways so I was leaning toward it. I have an xbox360 so now im torn between fallout 3 on pc and gta4 on xbox maybe.

mailman2
02-13-09, 07:57 PM
GTA IV FTW, fallout 3 was BOOOOORING

K007
02-13-09, 09:04 PM
Also fallout 3 will run fine unlike gta4, load times are almost instant.

NarcissistZero
02-13-09, 09:09 PM
I have an xbox360 so now im torn between fallout 3 on pc and gta4 on xbox maybe.

GTA4 is arguably better on Xbox or PC, depending on what is important to you. If you hate jaggies you might hate the PC version, as it is full of jaggies with no AA option... the 360 version has a blur effect that covers up the jaggies quite a lot. The 360 version also is getting two expansions which, as far as we know, will never be on PC.

That said, the PC version has much better textures, and it looks awesome at high res. The PC version also allows you to use your own music, which in my opinion is a MASSIVE benefit. Also, I much prefer the controls on the PC version, though I guess that is a matter of taste.

Yojack
02-14-09, 12:21 AM
I can't stand jaggies and when I found out GTA4 doesnt support it I was dismayed. HOW, in this day and age can games not have AA? Its shameful imo of the developer. That being said blurred games always end up looking washed out. Can't tell from videos but is GTA4 a really jaggie game (architecture and textures lead to a lot of jags)? Im leaning toward both eventually on PC just for the mods etc.

Side note...LOVED Mass Effect and playe dit to death on xbox and big screen. Felt very cinematic with the big screen and surround etc.....just don't think my wife will appreciate all the cussing from GTA4 on "her" TV ;)

Mike89
02-18-09, 11:07 PM
There is no way I could ever answer a question like that as what I like or look for in a game, you may not. That's like asking which movie one should watch or what song should one listen to. Two totally different atmospheres in those games. You might like them both, you may like one better than the other, you may hate them both (or as games go, one day you may prefer to play one and another day the other, depending on what kind of mood you were in). Who the hell knows? Try one, then later (if the money is tight), try the other. Or not. :smoking:

If you would have asked which game do you like better and why, it would be easier to answer.

JaxMacFL
02-19-09, 07:25 AM
You really can't go wrong either way. It's like should I eat the steak first or the lobster.:)

Yojack
02-19-09, 07:44 PM
Cake or pie? I get your points but that being said...many have posted very helpful insight that make a decision easier. After 10 hours of youtube vids I am going to go for GTA4 for now...if only because I can get it cheaper. Thanks for all the help guys.

wysiwyg
02-20-09, 04:17 AM
"Ice cold baby, ICE COLD!"

wysiwyg
02-20-09, 04:18 AM
more quotes from GTA IV (i love the game)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=933037&topic=43078562

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0802999/quotes

ATi
02-20-09, 04:24 AM
fallout3!;)

Gaco
02-20-09, 04:43 AM
Of those two, I would get Fallout 3. I thought GTAIV was impressive in it's own rights, but frankly a little overrated at the same time. It doesn't captivate you in the way a true A+++ title does IMO. But I would probably get both eventually.

You should also consider the brand new game Dawn of War II. It's just been released in retail and on steam, and it's a very nice innovative tactical RTS game with some RPG elements to it.

Happy gaming :)

crainger
02-20-09, 05:33 AM
Fallout 3. There are some really awesome mods out. The Gun Mod Kit one is a standout.