PDA

View Full Version : Wiping hard drives

Dreamweavernoob
02-16-09, 08:18 AM
Hey all, sorry for another thread :o

Anyway, computer bits all in, all I need to do now is get new hard drives. My other hard drives are sata II but I find them very slow.

I have someone who wants to buy them, but I need to be absolutely certain that they are wiped. To be frank I would normally just throw them away, but I need the cash so I can buy a few more tb's.

Anyway, I've done a bit of googling and have come up with this combination to hopefully make sure my HDD's are safe.

1: Do a Gutmanns wipe (does anyone have a link for this?)
2: Follow up with a Boot and Nuke run.

Is this enough to ensure privacy?

cheers

bacon12
02-16-09, 10:23 AM
Eraser
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

Dreamweavernoob
02-16-09, 10:48 AM
Just stick them next to a giant magnet.

:lol:

No magnets near me >_< except a few of those ultra strong earth magnets.

Bacon12, that program you linked me to hasnt been updated since 2002 and it dosent officially support XP. Is it still the best one to do?

cheers

bacon12
02-16-09, 11:56 AM
You can go several routes, and overwrite the data many times successfully making it unreadable to anyone but forensics.

Personally I would use knoppix, a small linux live cd and use the wipe tool that is included in it already. It isn't as simple as a dos tool .exe, but it will get the job done for sure, the reason I suggested the other tool is that it doesn't require making a linux iso.

Once it is fully booted run two commands.

ls /dev/hd* this will show the hdds and how they are named.

The second.
sudo wipe /dev/partition

Where partition will be /dev/sda, or /dev/sdb, and so on. By default it makes four passes over the partition, which should make the data unrecoverable for normal people.

Read more here (http://www.linux.com/feature/135944)..

And get the knoppix live cd here (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html)

Tym
02-16-09, 12:27 PM
I recommend Eraser, available here: http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

I'm not sure if this is a newer version of the one linked to by bacon12 or a different product, but it's pretty recent and works fine (it complies with all standard algorithms, including Gutmann). Just make sure you also do a full format after wiping the disk to remove all file references.

EDIT: Make sure you get the x64 version if you're using a 64-bit OS.

Smee
02-16-09, 02:02 PM
If there was anything that I considerd ultra-sensitive on my drives, They would get the sledgehammer, then the torch.

Dreamweavernoob
02-16-09, 03:33 PM
Decision made. They are going in the middle of a lake.

cheers

AthlonXP1800
02-16-09, 07:34 PM
I used Boot and nuke to peformed military grade formatted to wiped my old hard drives before sold off.

CaptNKILL
02-16-09, 08:04 PM
Decision made. They are going in the middle of a lake.

cheers

LOL

Storing some incriminating data are we? :lol:

BTW, if I ever found a drive at the bottom of a lake while scuba diving I'd probably turn it into the police and someone would eventually get the data off the platters. :captnkill:

Dreamweavernoob
02-17-09, 08:08 PM
LOL

Storing some incriminating data are we? :lol:

BTW, if I ever found a drive at the bottom of a lake while scuba diving I'd probably turn it into the police and someone would eventually get the data off the platters. :captnkill:

Better safe than sorry eh?

Trust me, no one will find them ROFL. Anyone who scuba dives in this lake is a moron :lol:

brought 2x1tb hitachi 7200.b so hopefully these will do the trick

AthlonXP1800
02-17-09, 10:21 PM
Better safe than sorry eh?

Trust me, no one will find them ROFL. Anyone who scuba dives in this lake is a moron :lol:

brought 2x1tb hitachi 7200.b so hopefully these will do the trick

Trust me, somebody WILL find it probably in 100 to 200 years time with futuristic advanced technologies, when it detected hard drives dumped in sea and it will beam up abroad and recovered data. Looked what happened to 18th century warship HMS Victory sanked in 1744 recovered more than 1bn worth of golds 264 years later.

Dreamweavernoob
02-18-09, 04:20 AM
Trust me, somebody WILL find it probably in 100 to 200 years time with futuristic advanced technologies, when it detected hard drives dumped in sea and it will beam up abroad and recovered data. Looked what happened to 18th century warship HMS Victory sanked in 1744 recovered more than 1bn worth of golds 264 years later.

>_> hmm, then again, it could still screw people, but meh, I won't be around :lol:

Also a slight difference between a hard drive and a warship ROFL.