PDA

View Full Version : Vista I think is great...for me

Pages : [1] 2

FearMeAll
02-17-09, 06:49 AM
I paid a lot of money for my Vista installations and now Windows 7 is around the corner and it is kinda bothering me. I know Windows 7 is faster, more efficient, and addresses problems Vista had, but my main rig is nearly 4ghz with 4 gigs of really fast ram and room to upgrade it, am I really going to notice any difference with an upgrade of the OS for all you beta testers. Vista for me boots up very fast, never had a problem with not having enough ram, and all my games work perfectly. Would I notice a difference in speed really? I also have windowblinds and have vista looking EXACTLY like windows 7 even with an icon based taskbar. Would it be worth all the extra money for an upgrade? Or is windows 7 better for those with more modest rigs?

Wolfhound
02-17-09, 08:26 AM
I found Vista to work very well on my system after dumping the creative XFi soundcard, I donīt think Windows 7 will bring a lot of changes from Vista, I will wait for SP2 adn then will wait for benchmarks between Vista SP2 and Windows 7, then I will make a decision

mailman2
02-17-09, 10:07 AM
Windows 7 is better. Period. If you havent tried the beta, pickup another hard drive to install it on. It smokes Vista in everything. If you have a system you find to be fast now.... Im sure it will blow you away!

Tr1cK
02-17-09, 10:37 AM
Whatever Vista does, 7 will do better.
Think the difference between win95 and win98.

ViN86
02-17-09, 11:33 AM
Windows 7 is better. Period. If you havent tried the beta, pickup another hard drive to install it on. It smokes Vista in everything. If you have a system you find to be fast now.... Im sure it will blow you away!

especially games! where i get the same framerate as vista!

JasonPC
02-17-09, 12:42 PM
Well if you're happy with Vista then just don't be an early adopter of Windows 7. Wait for service pack 1 to come out for it first maybe? I don't plan on being an early adopter. I've just recently moved to Vista as my primary OS. I've had it installed since the month of its release but still used XP on a day to day basis. I've only just recently ditched XP. So even though I really like Windows 7 I think I'll wait a while after it's out to at least make me feel like I've gotten some of my money's worth out of Vista.

mailman2
02-17-09, 01:35 PM
especially games! where i get the same framerate as vista!

Then you are doing it wrong :headexplode:

7 is smoother and faster if only a few FPS in some games.

Tr1cK
02-17-09, 01:56 PM

I can verify the massive increase in smoothness compared to my Vista 32 install.

XDanger
02-17-09, 02:00 PM
Like I said ,I might skip this OS,

Wont be long before Windows8 will it?

My money would be better spent on a more powerful graphics card.

Tr1cK
02-17-09, 02:10 PM
People with short memories are entertaining. MS is going back to the 3 year product cycle, the same as they had prior to XP. You might as well live on Vista as long as XP has been out, by then you might consider Windows 9 or 10. I don't get how some don't minding blowing hundreds on video cards for them to be worth half of the cost months later and yet wont spend money on an OS that will last for at least 3 years. I think those same people might be the ones spending $2k on building a gaming machine, but wont allocate but $50 to a PSU.

These threads are sickening anymore. It's like people just discovered PCs or are too lazy to look up the numerous test results comparing XP, Vista, and 7.

Newsflash:
XP is still the fastest and always will be due to smaller footprint.
7 is Vista done right with more performance and a smaller footprint.
Vista is a bloated hog much like XP was compared to Win2k. It's time is done and MS has all but acknowledged it.

/rant

pkirby11
02-17-09, 03:26 PM
Can you link those tests? Vista runs as fast as Windows 7 did on my machine.

Tr1cK
02-17-09, 03:30 PM
Can you link those tests? Vista runs as fast as Windows 7 did on my machine.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+xp+vista+performance

XDanger
02-17-09, 03:37 PM
MS is going back to the 3 year product cycle

Ģ60 for OEM 7 is Ģ30 extra I can spend on the 2 graphics cards I'll buy in that 3 years ;)

I love that lol

Sazar
02-17-09, 03:42 PM

:captnkill:

ChAsM
02-17-09, 04:14 PM
I paid a lot of money for my Vista installations and now Windows 7 is around the corner and it is kinda bothering me. I know Windows 7 is faster, more efficient, and addresses problems Vista had, but my main rig is nearly 4ghz with 4 gigs of really fast ram and room to upgrade it, am I really going to notice any difference with an upgrade of the OS for all you beta testers. Vista for me boots up very fast, never had a problem with not having enough ram, and all my games work perfectly. Would I notice a difference in speed really? I also have windowblinds and have vista looking EXACTLY like windows 7 even with an icon based taskbar. Would it be worth all the extra money for an upgrade? Or is windows 7 better for those with more modest rigs?

If your happy, stick with Vista. It will be around a while. Just know that 7 is much better than Vista. So, when things don't run as well anymore and you have the benjies, plunk them down for 7. You won't regret it. Even with it's beta bugs, I like it much better than vista. On a velociraptor, 7 is so quick it's almost hard to believe it was made by M$.

ViN86
02-17-09, 05:26 PM

LOL define irony.

you tell me im doing it wrong when you and about 3 others were the ones that were too daft to get Vista to work properly, which it seems to do for practically everyone else on these forums...

and i love how you use "smoothness" as an argument. nice objective measurement :rofl

i will be adopting Win 7 as soon as it's released... but i still think it's unnecessary as Vista works great for 99% of ppl out there.

mailman2
02-17-09, 05:40 PM
LOL define irony.

you tell me im doing it wrong when you and about 3 others were the ones that were too daft to get Vista to work properly, which it seems to do for practically everyone else on these forums...

and i love how you use "smoothness" as an argument. nice objective measurement :rofl

i will be adopting Win 7 as soon as it's released... but i still think it's unnecessary as Vista works great for 99% of ppl out there.

Why should anyone have "to get Vista to work properly"???

Especially when Windows 7 works out of the box. Dude, you look like a fool with comments like that. The reason Windows 7 works is because it's not nearly as busted as Vista always was. I don't have time to spend "to get Vista to work properly". Give me an OS that works properly like Windows 7.

Thanks for the laugh.

XDanger
02-17-09, 08:01 PM
So it actually works!...

That is a good selling point.:)

Maybe Microsoft can adopt that as their ads tagline or whatever

Tr1cK
02-17-09, 08:10 PM
It works very well, especially for a beta. This is the first OS I have been impressed with since Win2k.

mailman2
02-17-09, 08:14 PM
It works very well, especially for a beta. This is the first OS I have been impressed with since Win2k.

+1

JasonPC
02-17-09, 09:07 PM
Maybe it's just me but Vista works smoothly for me? I've found more issues with the Windows 7 beta, but mostly just due to the fact that it's a beta and it is a little rough around the edges in some cases (drivers). But I will say Windows 7 is way way better than where Vista was during its release candidate stage.

hell_of_doom227
02-17-09, 11:12 PM
I don't see any difference between Windows 7 and Windows Vista. They both suck.

mullet
02-18-09, 01:12 AM
Maybe it's just me but Vista works smoothly for me? I've found more issues with the Windows 7 beta, but mostly just due to the fact that it's a beta and it is a little rough around the edges in some cases (drivers). But I will say Windows 7 is way way better than where Vista was during its release candidate stage.

Agreed.

Llamalama
02-18-09, 01:27 AM
I found Vista to work very well on my system after dumping the creative XFi soundcard, I donīt think Windows 7 will bring a lot of changes from Vista, I will wait for SP2 adn then will wait for benchmarks between Vista SP2 and Windows 7, then I will make a decision

Could you elaborate a bit more about the XFi problem. I'm using Vista 64 and thinking about getting it.

Wolfhound
02-18-09, 03:29 AM
Could you elaborate a bit more about the XFi problem. I'm using Vista 64 and thinking about getting it.

Yes, I have problems with drivers (supposely are stable, but latest version reduce my FPS in games) and tried to change it between my 3 PCI buses without luck, basicly I see a performance loss in games, which canīt be logical due that XFi is more powerful than integrated audio and the fact that I learned to hate Creative after all the hassle I had with Vista and XFI, so Iīm not a good advisor in this matter ;)