PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Newell Keynote @DICE 2009

Pages : [1] 2

evox
02-19-09, 01:03 AM
Steam has become incredibly successful. Valve is raking in serious cash.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693342/Live-Blog-DICE-2009-Keynote---Gabe-Newell-Valve-Software.html

PeterJensen
02-19-09, 01:36 AM
impressive :)

sl0ppy_sec0nds
02-19-09, 01:53 AM
It's veterans like Valve/STEAM who make me proud to be a PC gamer. Without Valve/STEAM, I probably would have stopped upgrading my PC and play only on my Xbox 360.

LordJuanlo
02-19-09, 03:41 AM
Left 4 Dead sold more last weekend than launch day. Wow!!!

Phyxion
02-19-09, 04:35 AM
Steam has become incredibly successful. Valve is raking in serious cash.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693342/Live-Blog-DICE-2009-Keynote---Gabe-Newell-Valve-Software.html
Interesting,

Oh, more data. I'm such a data nerd. Here's some data!

During the Holiday sales:

* 10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
* 25% sale = 245% increase in sales
* 50% sale = 320% increase in sales
* 75% sale = 1470% increase in sales

At 75% off, they are making 15% more money than they were at full price.

It seems Valve understands how the market works.

rudedog
02-19-09, 06:33 AM
from g4 as well (link above)

Gabe on piracy:

Gabe doesn't believe that pirates are really seeking to get things for free. They are people that spend thousands on their PC's and Internet service. He believes that pirates are beating companies on service. He cites TV shows not available in certain parts of the world. Pirates have TV shows up on the Web minutes after they have aired.

6:26 PM - DRM decreases service value for customers. It also makes pirated copies of games look more appealing. Anecdotal evidence appears to suggest that DRM is increasing and not decreasing piracy.
As far as privacy goes, Gabe believes that people are willing to give up system and personal information if they feel it's being used to get a better service. Steam's hardware survey is an example of this. Rather than spying on users for nefarious reasons, Gabe believes things like its hardware survey helps with better sales of products and service. As long as companies are transparent, he feels that customers will accept this.

MaxFX
02-19-09, 06:43 AM
Man I just love Valve, Gabe Newell understands it all and are doing the right thing.
he knows as he really stand by us Pc gamers and not as the other asholes who just are full of crap, e.x the IDIOTS at Epic that dummy Mark and the wannabe rockstar Cliffy B!

Thanks for Valve Pc gaming is alive and will flourish :D

Unstable_Hero
02-19-09, 06:57 AM
Man I just love Valve, Gabe Newell understands it all and are doing the right thing.
he knows as he really stand by us Pc gamers and not as the other asholes who just are full of crap, e.x the IDIOTS at Epic that dummy Mark and the wannabe rockstar Cliffy B!

Thanks for Valve Pc gaming is alive and will flourish :D

Don't forget EA **** them too! :nana:

Lfctony
02-19-09, 07:48 AM
Well, they can start fixing things by stopping the rip-off of European customers...

FEAR2 - Direct2Drive 30e / Steam - 50e

And that's just one example...

|MaguS|
02-19-09, 10:16 AM
It it weren't for Steam I probably wouldn't be buying as many (if any) PC games as of late. Being on my laptop primarly I don't want to deal with disc's.

MaxFX
02-19-09, 10:47 AM
Glad to see that Steam is such a huge success!
The L4D sales numbers are sweet. Hopefully they'll do that again with other games :)

+1 Absolutly!

MaxFX
02-19-09, 10:49 AM
It it weren't for Steam I probably wouldn't be buying as many (if any) PC games as of late. Being on my laptop primarly I don't want to deal with disc's.

Me eaiter I hate disc so STEAM is perfect and just d/l install whenever you want and auto patching and STEAM cloud seems to be very great to :)

NarcissistZero
02-19-09, 11:05 AM
Gabe really knows how to say something that will please his base. I'm sure he hates pirates as much as I do, if not more, but he knows what to say to PC gamers about it to make them happy.

In any event, I obviously love Steam. I buy games over again to have Steam versions when they're under $10, and I buy all my new games on Steam. It's just too convienent... no discs, easy reinstalls, no patches, games follow me from comp to comp...

WeReWoLf
02-19-09, 11:21 AM
I'm with you on that one Narc. It's a perfect setup. Now I just need the Australian dollar to solidify more so I'm not paying so much for games lol.

saturnotaku
02-19-09, 11:33 AM
In any event, I obviously love Steam. I buy games over again to have Steam versions when they're under $10, and I buy all my new games on Steam. It's just too convienent... no discs, easy reinstalls, no patches, games follow me from comp to comp...

I love Steam in general, but not necessarily as a way to actually purchase games. I hate having to wait to download several gigabytes of data, especially now with Comcrap's bandwidth caps in place. I prefer the Lost Planet and F.E.A.R. 2 model of having physical media to install the game through Steam and not needing the disc thereafter.

Kaguya
02-19-09, 11:47 AM
I love Steam in general, but not necessarily as a way to actually purchase games. I hate having to wait to download several gigabytes of data, especially now with Comcrap's bandwidth caps in place. I prefer the Lost Planet and F.E.A.R. 2 model of having physical media to install the game through Steam and not needing the disc thereafter.

Meh, I don't mind downloading games over a period of time... at least I have the game coming and know it's on its way. Brick and mortar stores are getting worse and worse for actually having a good supply of games I want in stock. Before Steam, I'd end up driving to three or four stores just to find a copy of the game I want... now with the huge back catalogue that Steam has, I can always find the game I want, when I want it.

NarcissistZero
02-19-09, 12:23 PM

I don't mind downloading... I downloaded Dawn of War 2 last night in about 2 hours, which is probably the same amount of time as getting to the store and back for me at the moment (I am temporarily staying in downtown Philadelphia).

Dreamweavernoob
02-19-09, 01:45 PM
Damn that man catches some hate :headexplode:

I respect valve and steam. I hope a contender comes alone though as I could see steam start pushing its weight around.

MaxFX
02-19-09, 04:04 PM

I can see your point there and thats one thing that sucks. sorry to here you have a bandwidht cap, and games keeps getting bigger and bigger. so wheres the faster broadband as we can surely need/ gonna need it!

saturnotaku
02-19-09, 11:04 PM
I don't mind downloading... I downloaded Dawn of War 2 last night in about 2 hours, which is probably the same amount of time as getting to the store and back for me at the moment (I am temporarily staying in downtown Philadelphia).

It all depends on your situation. I don't want to have to worry about hitting any sort of bandwidth cap. It took about 15 minutes or so to install F.E.A.R. 2 from the DVDs. Plus the time for Steam to update the game with the patch.

I have Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and Gamestop all within 5 minutes of my office, so accessibility to physical game media is not a problem. Further, with the Fry's ad that comes out on Fridays, most new releases are at least $5 off--take the ad to BB for a price match, throw in a Reward Zone certificate every now and then, and there's some fairly significant savings to be had.

Unstable_Hero
02-19-09, 11:16 PM
you can backup the game files for any steam bought game in the right click menu, so you can put the files on any thing HD, dvd, blue ray, ect I got an extra HD that has my steam backups, only take 5-10mins to install L4D from a steam backup file.... So the people complaining about steam requiring needing disks or large downloads is not entirely accurate.

And even more awesome is that steam allows you to add more than 1 game to a backup file, hell you could add all your steam bought games to a single backup file... Place that file on an HD or break that file into dvd or blue ray sized chunks.

saturnotaku
02-19-09, 11:26 PM
you can backup the game files for any steam bought game in the right click menu, so you can put the files on any thing HD dvd blue ray ect I got an extra HD that has my steam backups, only take 5-10mins to install L4D from a steam backup file.... So the people complaining about steam requiring needing disks or large downloads is not accurate.

And even more awesome is that steam allows you to add more than 1 game to a backup file, hell you could add all your steam bought games to a single backup file... Place that file on an HD or span that one file across multiple DVDs or blu rays.

I've tried that, and it didn't work. I had backed up all my games, and it still had to download several gigabytes of data, mostly for the Unreal pack I had purchased a while back.

NarcissistZero
02-19-09, 11:30 PM
It all depends on your situation. I don't want to have to worry about hitting any sort of bandwidth cap. It took about 15 minutes or so to install F.E.A.R. 2 from the DVDs. Plus the time for Steam to update the game with the patch.

I have Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and Gamestop all within 5 minutes of my office, so accessibility to physical game media is not a problem. Further, with the Fry's ad that comes out on Fridays, most new releases are at least $5 off--take the ad to BB for a price match, throw in a Reward Zone certificate every now and then, and there's some fairly significant savings to be had.

Situation does have a lot to do with it... when I return to the Tampa burbs I am sure I will buy more boxed games than I do now, simply because Best Buy will be 5 minutes away and I'll be impatient. I am not one of those people who ONLY buy games on Steam...

Still, I think the benefits of Steam far outweigh the detrements, for me personally, and when a Steam version is out there I will get it.

CaptNKILL
02-20-09, 03:52 AM
I like collecting games and their boxes so I still buy boxed copies of most games, but I do have a ton of games I've purchased directly through Steam.

If Steam were actually cheaper than retail I'd probably buy more that way, but between amazon.com and GoGamer's prices (especially their madness deals on new titles) I can usually save $10-$15 by not buying through Steam.

Still, I think Valve and Steam are probably the best things that have happened to the PC gaming industry in the past 10 years.

rudedog
02-20-09, 06:05 AM
Can't you have the best of both worlds now.

Buy the boxed version and authenticate via steam? I thought they where supporting more and more games that way?

--just to add
The biggest problem with Steam right now is the delay in patching a steam based game. Meaning if you purchased your game via steam, there always seems to be at least a few day delay in a released patch.