PDA

View Full Version : mouselag in L4D

Crow_Nest
02-19-09, 12:50 PM
I recently installed vista ultimate x64. For some reason now whenever i play L4D my mouse seems to have some sort of delay feel when i look around. I've checked mouse filter and vsync are both turned off. Enabling them doesnt make any difference either. On the other hand, my logitech setpoint software stubbornly auto switches the mouse speed and acceleration implementation to OS rather than setpoint, i cant seem to fix it. Dont know if this has anything to do with the lag though. I never had such problems in XP SP3

Ive yet to try it with other games though. Any ideas?

LordJuanlo
02-19-09, 04:33 PM
When I got the G9 had terrible problems in Doom 3 engine games, until I found out that I had to use Setpoint implementation instead of OS, that fixed all. I have it enabled in Vista x64, no lag problems at all.

I bet that's your problem, don't understand why you can't enable Setpoint implementation, have you tried to reinstall Setpoint?

Crow_Nest
02-20-09, 04:54 AM
Just reinstalled it. Didnt make any difference... Im using a G5 btw.

LordJuanlo
02-20-09, 07:50 AM
If the problem is that you can't enable SetPoint implementation, here's (http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=gseriesmice&message.id=1100) some info on this matter from Logitech forums, it could help you.

EDIT: Another thread here (http://logitech.lithium.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=general_mice&thread.id=20509), it looks like SetPoint 4.70 has a bug and SetPoint implementation is broken, they recommend downgrading to 4.60 until they fix the problem.

Crow_Nest
02-20-09, 08:29 AM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Didnt know this was a common problem.

randsom
02-20-09, 09:20 AM
if you have v-sync turned on disable it, see if that helps

mailman2
02-20-09, 09:35 AM
I recently installed vista ultimate x64. For some reason now whenever i play L4D my mouse seems to have some sort of delay feel when i look around. I've checked mouse filter and vsync are both turned off. Enabling them doesnt make any difference either. On the other hand, my logitech setpoint software stubbornly auto switches the mouse speed and acceleration implementation to OS rather than setpoint, i cant seem to fix it. Dont know if this has anything to do with the lag though. I never had such problems in XP SP3

Ive yet to try it with other games though. Any ideas?

I kept saying this and everyone gave me a hard time "theres no mouse lag in Vista and L4D, its you". Etc, etc ad nausem - I really hate fanboys cause they will argue till they are blue that you are somehow doing something wrong. Like I caused mouse lag in Vista that doesn't exist in XP Sp3. Sigh. :headexplode:

Yes, there is mouse lag in L4D in Vista x64. I just reinstalled Vista and the newest SP2 for Vista and there is STILL mouse lag! There is none on my other HD that has XP SP3. Even Windows 7 is pretty much lag free. Its just Vista.

LordJuanlo - I'm not even using Set Point just the Vista drivers. Vista has built in mouse acceleration that cannot be disabled in games. Even if you disable the mouse precision in the mouse CP, its enabled in games.

Ok so in that thread they say to use Set Point 4.6, but they are up to 5.10 already

Title: SetPoint
Software Version: 5.10.203
Post Date: 1/7/2009
Platform: Windows Vista
File Size: Approximately 19 Mb

LordJuanlo
02-20-09, 10:25 AM
Wrong, SetPoint 5.xx is for G9 mice only, G5 uses 4.xx and 4.70 is latest version. As Logitech has acknowledged there is a bug in that version that prevents enabling SetPoint implementation.

I don't know if Vista has a mouse lag lag problem, but I remember the first time I tried Prey under Vista it was unplayable because of mouse acceleration issues. After googling I fould out the SetPoint implementation trick and that game (as well as other Doom 3 engine games) started to work as it should.

Maybe SetPoint implementation can bypass that Vista built-in acceleration you are talking about, I play Left 4 Dead with vsync enabled and don't notice any lag at all. Or maybe I am not capable of seing the lag.

mailman2
02-20-09, 12:46 PM
Wrong, SetPoint 5.xx is for G9 mice only, G5 uses 4.xx and 4.70 is latest version. As Logitech has acknowledged there is a bug in that version that prevents enabling SetPoint implementation.

I don't know if Vista has a mouse lag lag problem, but I remember the first time I tried Prey under Vista it was unplayable because of mouse acceleration issues. After googling I fould out the SetPoint implementation trick and that game (as well as other Doom 3 engine games) started to work as it should.

Maybe SetPoint implementation can bypass that Vista built-in acceleration you are talking about, I play Left 4 Dead with vsync enabled and don't notice any lag at all. Or maybe I am not capable of seing the lag.

I have a G9.

LordJuanlo
02-20-09, 12:50 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to be rude, the "wrong" is about the latest version of SetPoint, if you choose G5 in Logitech download page there is no 5.1, latest version is 4.7.

About the lag, if you say you have it, I believe you. However I don't notice any lag at all in Left 4 Dead (with G9 too). If you have a G9 you could try the Logitech drivers and the SetPoint implementation, it fixed some games for me. If you don't like it you can uninstall it later, but I think it's worth to give it a try.

Cheers

mailman2
02-20-09, 01:29 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to be rude, the "wrong" is about the latest version of SetPoint, if you choose G5 in Logitech download page there is no 5.1, latest version is 4.7.

About the lag, if you say you have it, I believe you. However I don't notice any lag at all in Left 4 Dead (with G9 too). If you have a G9 you could try the Logitech drivers and the SetPoint implementation, it fixed some games for me. If you don't like it you can uninstall it later, but I think it's worth to give it a try.

Cheers

I dont run the software because everytime it takes ownership it resets the firmware on the G9 which I hate. I have it setup the way I like it but not sure of the settings and everytime I install their software it wipes all the stored settings out on me.

So there is a Use Set point implmentation in the drivers for 5.1?

LordJuanlo
02-20-09, 07:17 PM
Yep, and without that implementation Doom 3 engine games are unplayable. But don't install 5.1, those have a bug when switching from full screen (or you do alt tab in a game), DPIs are resetted. I'm using 5.0 and it's working great

mailman2
02-20-09, 08:59 PM
Yep, and without that implementation Doom 3 engine games are unplayable. But don't install 5.1, those have a bug when switching from full screen (or you do alt tab in a game), DPIs are resetted. I'm using 5.0 and it's working great

Thanks I may give that a shot! I've noticed some lag in FEAR 2 as well. Maybe this will override the vista mouse lag finally.

MaxFX
02-21-09, 08:08 AM
I just switched to a G9 and love every minute of it, before I had the crappy bulky G5 and that mouse felt slugish in everything i did.

I dont have any problem whatsoever with the Setpoint Software witch I use to overide the OS setting and hardware accel is always of :)

BTW I use Vista X64!

LordJuanlo
02-22-09, 05:56 AM
The difference between OS and SetPoint implementation is night and day. What I don't understand is why default mode when installing SetPoint is OS. As soon as you change it you can feel what a great performer the G9 is, even on Windows desktop

MaxFX
02-22-09, 07:07 AM
yeah absolutely so it's a shame it dont use the Setpoint by default, should be obviously that the app should do that, stupid

And yepp i love my G9 the best mouse be far I have ever used :)

Crow_Nest
02-23-09, 09:12 AM
I installed setpoint 4.60 today, it fixed the implementation problem. But now whenever i start up windows, at desktop the cursor keeps flashing the "loading" circle on and off and the pc runs slow. On one instance setpoint just crashed as it was starting up. So i had no choice but to put back 4.70. :(

mailman2
02-24-09, 09:04 AM
I installed the Logitech Setpoint drivers. Didnt see anything labelled Setpoint Implementation. Disabled the use OS option which I'm assuming is what you guys are talking about.

the problem now is there is even stranger acceleration in Vista. My arm hurts in about 30 seconds using the mouse now. Played with the DPI levels. I have to drop to about 600 just to get to the point where the mouse isn't too fast to use. Brand new Vista x64 installation about 2 days ago.

I can load up XP and the mouse is perfect, no acceleration, no weird too fast too slow stuff. I just wish MS would leave the stuff alone with Vista that makes it worse than XP.

Ive done all I can still not happy with the goofy lag and acceleration in vista.

It did fix the lag in FC2 and L4D though, so I guess it works for games.

grey_1
02-24-09, 09:11 AM
That's weird, I just use vista's default drivers for my G5 and it works perfectly, 64bit btw. I can even change sensitivity.

The only thing that I've done was disable the HID service. With that enabled I always have trouble in one game or another, disabled all is well. I'm at work now though, I don't remember the exact name of the service.

mailman2
02-24-09, 12:20 PM
actually the more I play with it now, it does feel alot better. I went back into the setpoint driver, disabled acceleration altogether now and bumped my DPI up to 1000. It might take alittle getting used to but its working much better in games.

LordJuanlo
02-24-09, 04:54 PM
I told you it was the way to go, I'm glad you are enjoying your mouse now. It feels a bit strange on Windows desktop the first time you enable it, but in a couple of days it's second nature

mailman2
02-24-09, 05:24 PM
I told you it was the way to go, I'm glad you are enjoying your mouse now. It feels a bit strange on Windows desktop the first time you enable it, but in a couple of days it's second nature

I was actually changing max rendered frames ahead to 1 to cure the mouse lag in most games in Vista. But I don't need to now. Thanks again. I'll give this a few days and see if I'm completely aclimated to it.

MaxFX
02-24-09, 06:38 PM
Nice to see you like it as Juanlo says its the way to go!

BTW did you Disabled the use OS option in every profiles you have ?
It's 3 profiles in my Setpoint for the G9 but I deleted one of them as I just need the general and gaming profile!

Maybe thats why it work if it's unchecked in just the game profile and not the general profile. anyway seems to work for you now so all is good :)