PDA

View Full Version : CPU @ 100% when playing WMV

Cream
02-19-09, 06:59 PM
I download quite a lot of demo videos from http://www.gamersyde.com/index_en.html, But when I play them back a get quite a lot of micro stutter/slowdown.
After a little delving I've found out my CPU is running at 100% is this normal? Spec. is as below. This happens full screen or boxed.

a12ctic
02-19-09, 07:03 PM
Use VLC.

Dreamweavernoob
02-19-09, 07:04 PM
Dont quote me on this, but the videos seem pretty stressful. Your CPU isnt the newest. Can you try overclocking even if only temporary to see if it reduces some strain.

Cream
02-19-09, 07:09 PM
Dont quote me on this, but the videos seem pretty stressful. Your CPU isnt the newest. Can you try overclocking even if only temporary to see if it reduces some strain.

I know it's ageing. hence my other thread about getting a killer system :D i7 for the win :D

jeffmd
02-20-09, 12:59 AM
Cream, 2 ideas. if the video is HD, especialy 1080p, you may not have the horse power to run it (Although 1080p would be the only one to be a completer stutter fest, if it starts to render at all).

2nd is your motherboard or video drivers are not installed/used. If you lack motherboard drivers, your agp port is running at 1x which is no faster then pci. If you are using the basic video drivers that come with windows then you are lacking alot of direct draw optimizations.

CaptNKILL
02-20-09, 04:38 AM
Does the 7800GS have hardware HD video acceleration?

If not, that's probably whats killing you. A slower system could handle that video easily, but the GPU needs to do the video processing.

Cream
02-20-09, 10:14 AM
Use VLC.

It's a lot better using this, Thanx.

BTW motherboard drives are installed. Graphic card is using 178.24, not latest I know but not that out of date. Might try an update and see how it gets on.

a12ctic
02-20-09, 10:20 AM
It's a lot better using this, Thanx.

BTW motherboard drives are installed. Graphic card is using 178.24, not latest I know but not that out of date. Might try an update and see how it gets on.

Thats good, VLC is a really great media player. It'll play anything you throw at it pretty well and its cross platform. I haven't used WMP in a long time, and I'm really glad I haven't. Codec management has always been a big mess and the interface has always been unnecessarily slow.