PDA

View Full Version : Where are Call of Duty 4 sounds installed?

Burnt_Ram
02-22-09, 12:48 PM
im trying to dissable the voice comentary in cod4! things like "my UAV is online" i find it very irratating. theres an option to do this ingame with CoD W@W, but i can't even find the files in cod4 ...

EciDemon
02-22-09, 01:19 PM
I don't have the game but sounds and resources are often located within a big archive file in the game dir. In many cases you would need to create an app that can decode/extract and repack the res files to manipulate them.

Edit: I forgot to mention, mod communities often have these kinds of tools. Start there.

bob saget
02-22-09, 02:18 PM
are you talking about matches or just multi player games? In some leagues, you cant alter any of that stuff.

Burnt_Ram
02-22-09, 02:50 PM
are you talking about matches or just multi player games? In some leagues, you cant alter any of that stuff.

im talkin MP bob. i cant see why they would care if i have those sound's on or not.

they drive me nuts! UAV is online over and over ... i have no clue how to turn them off anyway ;) u can in cod5 in thegame. wonder how they did that? there must be a way. i was hoping it would be in the cfg file, but nooooo.

bob saget
02-22-09, 03:18 PM
i honestly have no idea, maybe they think it gives advantage. good luck on finding it out btw.

Burnt_Ram
02-22-09, 04:09 PM
i honestly have no idea, maybe they think it gives advantage. good luck on finding it out btw. thx. i've been opening .iwd file's to locate the .wav files but i still can't isolate the sounds i dont want :thumbdwn: i managed to delete a couple "our uav is online" .wav files, but its still ingame. grrr

Crow_Nest
02-23-09, 09:14 AM
I know the official SDK includes plenty of sounds. Its several hundred MBs though, but im pretty sure you can find the sounds in there.

bob saget
02-23-09, 03:50 PM
thx. i've been opening .iwd file's to locate the .wav files but i still can't isolate the sounds i dont want :thumbdwn: i managed to delete a couple "our uav is online" .wav files, but its still ingame. grrr

is it possible those are from the singleplayer (the ones you deleted)?
maybe the server where you play (like all others) just plays those sounds.

Burnt_Ram
02-23-09, 07:54 PM
I know the official SDK includes plenty of sounds. Its several hundred MBs though, but im pretty sure you can find the sounds in there.
i think i might just have to check out the sdk.

Burnt_Ram
02-23-09, 07:57 PM
is it possible those are from the singleplayer (the ones you deleted)?
maybe the server where you play (like all others) just plays those sounds. to be honest im not sure bob. i think i got everything that was related to mp and sp. ill figure it out yet! lol, it's buggin the hell outta me ;) i think i might have to learn how use the SDK :headexplode:

Dreamweavernoob
02-23-09, 08:10 PM
Do you have a mods or common folder. they could be downloaded sounds?

Sobbsy
02-23-09, 10:09 PM
I spent all night trying to extract (or even LOCATE!) the sounds for CoD4. Complete waste of time... If you rename the IWD files to ZIP, you can view their contents and extract them, but there's hardly any sound files in all of them and those files have no extentions... Not to mention they're all barely a few kb in size anyway. When it came time to try the SDK and I found out it was almost 700mb, I just gave up. Not worth the trouble.

Bman212121
02-24-09, 02:10 AM
im trying to dissable the voice comentary in cod4! things like "my UAV is online" i find it very irratating. theres an option to do this ingame with CoD W@W, but i can't even find the files in cod4 ...

Program files\activision\cod4\main\localized_english_iwd05 .iwd You can open that up in Winrar and look inside of the sound\voiceovers\mp folder. I think that is what you're looking for. The only issue is that just deleting those files might cause punkbuster to complain because you modified the gamedata. You can try it and see though.

Logical
02-24-09, 04:15 AM
Bob and bman are right, if you try to alter the CVARS or remove certain sound files from the multiplayer side then punkbuster, punksbusted, gameviolations and pbbans enabled servers will more than likley globally ban your GUID rendering your game useless on most online servers.

Try to stick to PAM, Promod or damn modded servers as the voice over is removed serverside on those mods....in saying that so are the hardpoint kill streaks chopper UAV and airstrikes. lol :D