PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate AMD rumor

Crow_Nest
02-24-09, 08:49 AM
Is it really possible to unlock an extra core in a tripple core processor (http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12194&Itemid=35)?

grey_1
02-24-09, 09:00 AM
I lean towards isolated case. Why would AMD disable a perfectly good core and sell the chip for less? Still interesting for those who have one and may be able to use that 4th core.

bacon12
02-24-09, 01:39 PM
There are several posts on XS about this, with the screen shots to prove it. The cpu gets horrible benchmark scores thou.

Logical
02-24-09, 01:51 PM
I have actually heard about this before, someone told me that the triple core processors are failed quad cores. Dunno if there is any truth in that but if there is then unlocking the dodgy core may not be such a good idea.

CaptNKILL
02-24-09, 02:25 PM
I have actually heard about this before, someone told me that the triple core processors are failed quad cores. Dunno if there is any truth in that but if there is then unlocking the dodgy core may not be such a good idea.

Yeah, they're binning their CPUs based on how many cores work, just like nvidia does with their GPUs as far as I know.

ViN86
02-24-09, 03:01 PM
well, they disabled the 4th core for a reason :lol:

typically these CPU's have problems with one of the cores, that's why they disable it and sell it as a cheaper 3 core CPU.

you can unlock it, but youre just adding a faulty core lol.

i mean, it's not like they take a totally fine 4-core CPU and then disable it to sell it cheaper. that would be lower profits for the same manufacturing costs. instead they sell defective CPU's as 3 core processors to generate profits from a product that would normally be thrown out/recycled.

XDanger
02-24-09, 03:19 PM
If the quad core with a bad core worked at a slower speed then it would be binned as a slower quad but they must have had a whole bunch where the speed needed on the faulty core was just way too low,

You might get a borderline chip in this 3 core variety where one of the cores doesn't pass muster with regular cooling but super cooled you can run it but not to the same OC as the other 3 so it would be a waste of time.

Do they have per core throttling? It could be throttled in that case so as not to bring the good cores down to its level.

I love babbling BS

Bman212121
02-24-09, 11:33 PM
Yeah, they're binning their CPUs based on how many cores work, just like nvidia does with their GPUs as far as I know.

Yes, but remember back to the ATi Radeon 9800 pro / XT date. Once their product become mature enough they might have more quad cores that are working than what they need to sell. So they could start binning them as triple cores even though the core is fully functional.

I'm guessing at this point the yields might not be high enough, but certainly towards the end of their lifecycle it wouldn't suprise me that some fully functional quads end up as triple core parts.

nekrosoft13
02-24-09, 11:47 PM

it is true, but that one core was disabled for reason

Redeemed
03-02-09, 01:10 AM
I lean towards isolated case. Why would AMD disable a perfectly good core and sell the chip for less? Still interesting for those who have one and may be able to use that 4th core.

I read about this over at AMDZone a few days back.

The reason would be, they argued, power draw. Some quad core chips might consume more power (defect) than AMD would prefer. Thus, to keep the chips within a specifc TDP envelope they disable one core- and sell it as a tri-core chip. Draws slightly more than a dual core, while multitasking considerably better, without sacrificing much in the way of single-threaded performance. A fair trade all around.

As for this trick- I believe it is only possible on certain Gigabyte boards... and something that I imagine will be fixed in a later BIOS release.

EciDemon
03-02-09, 04:42 AM
i mean, it's not like they take a totally fine 4-core CPU and then disable it to sell it cheaper. that would be lower profits for the same manufacturing costs. instead they sell defective CPU's as 3 core processors to generate profits from a product that would normally be thrown out/recycled.

It's most likely they disabled the 4th core for a quality reason but it might not necessary be so.
It is cheaper to produce just one cpu but sell it to both high end and mid end market.

It's just like nvidia quadro cards. You design one chip but can use them for two markets.