PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Agrees To Distribute Via Steam

nekrosoft13
02-24-09, 10:54 PM
Slowly but surely, Steam has been chugging along and adding partners for years. But this is a big one. Today, Valve Corporation's online game delivery portal has announced that Square Enix is coming on board, giving PC gamers the promise of snagging The Last Remnant whenever their heart desires.

The agreement will enable Square Enix titles to be made available to customers in North America via Steam, which is Valve's platform for digital content distribution and management. Starting on April 9th, the highly anticipated The Last Remnant will become the company's first title available for purchase on Steam, though it certainly won't be alone for long. Square Enix has vowed to continue adding titles as quickly as possible, though pricing details have yet to be announced.

John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, proclaimed that his company was "committed to delivering the best quality titles to PC gamers, and distribution on Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility for fans in North America and PAL territories." As with other games on Steam, users who purchase a title on their account have access to it anywhere in the world, so long as they have an internet connected and a rig potent enough to play it. There goes a few more of your Saturdays, we're afraid.

http://hothardware.com/News/Square-Enix-Agrees-To-Distribute-Via-Steam/

NarcissistZero
02-24-09, 11:55 PM
I don't really see how it's a "big one" but... cool.

I will get the boxed version if I buy the game though, as it comes out 2 weeks earlier.

mojoman0
02-25-09, 12:08 AM
imagine the sales if they ported FFVII to PC

edit: I just searched online and i already exists?!?!

nekrosoft13
02-25-09, 12:16 AM
imagine the sales if they ported FFVII to PC

edit: I just searched online and i already exists?!?!

yes you do exist

crainger
02-25-09, 12:27 AM
PC FFVII was ok. Music seemed better on PSX though. ::(:

One thing I'll never understand, back in the day, they released an awesome demo with 3DFX Glide support, looked amazing and was so smooth. Then the full game came out with less than stellar D3D. Looked similar, but chugged on my at the time quick Banshee. ::(:

NarcissistZero
02-25-09, 12:42 AM
I remember thinking the PC port of FF7 was crap, but I don't remember why. I think the music might have had something to do with it, as Crainger hints.

I know if I wanted to play the game again now I would most likely do so with the PS1 discs through a PS1 emulator, rather than play the PC version.

crainger
02-25-09, 01:28 AM
Yeh. I hear the best way is to use an emulator. Probably more stable than trying to get the Widows native version to run...

nutcrackr
02-25-09, 02:01 AM
fewer and fewer publishers are not on steam.

Microsoft remains defiant with fingers in their ears "Whats steam precious?"

hypph
02-25-09, 02:17 AM
I remember thinking the PC port of FF7 was crap, but I don't remember why. I think the music might have had something to do with it, as Crainger hints.

I know if I wanted to play the game again now I would most likely do so with the PS1 discs through a PS1 emulator, rather than play the PC version.

PC version is not so bad if you apply some mods for it.
http://fem1.uniag.sk/Miroslav.Jezik/ff7ncopam.html

Anyhow props for steam:).

LordJuanlo
02-25-09, 02:26 AM
The more the merrier, congratulations to Valve again