PDA

View Full Version : Up And Running!!

PsychoSy
06-05-03, 12:22 AM
Successfully swapped over to an Abit NF7-S and, so far, all's well. :D

First off, this thing is a rocket! :eek:

I barely got a chance to see the POST screen to find what BIOS revision I had. No matter - I had downloaded the latest BIOS (1.4 for Rev 2.0) last night and immediately flashed to it the moment it posted. Dual Channel mode is working successfully with my cheap Apacer PC2100.

Did a "Repair" install of WinXP and had no issues save for patching UxTheme.dll!! Used the nForce2 drivers off the Abit CD that shipped with the board and everything panned out nicely except it increased by boot time considerably! I was sitting here for at least 45-60 second waiting for the desktop to show up. Swapped the IDE drivers for the basic "Standard Dual" Microsoft drivers cured that problem right up.

Only one issue to tackle - sometimes, I'm getting stuttering/warbled sound. It's wierd because it only happens (so far) upon bootup but I was blaring MP3s after I installed the audio drivers and everything sounded great. Not going to be overclocking yet as I'm not too keen on it. It seems one false move in the BIOS and the board is curtains - too many complaints about the BIOS corrupting itself so I just running on the setup defaults until I get a BIOS Savior or something.

Welp, time to test it out in Frag-Land! :angel:

The Baron
06-05-03, 12:25 AM
Hmmmm... what processor?

Maybe I should just go ahead and buy one for my 1.4 TBird (oh yeah, kicking it Old School) and wait for a 3400+ or something. And, besides that sound problem, have you had NF2 driver funkiness?

PsychoSy
06-05-03, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Hmmmm... what processor?

Just a lowly Palimino 1700+...for now! :angel:

Maybe I should just go ahead and buy one for my 1.4 TBird (oh yeah, kicking it Old School) and wait for a 3400+ or something. And, besides that sound problem, have you had NF2 driver funkiness?

Man, after I posted this topic, I sat back with some SOF2 chased by a 6-pack of Rolling Rock and here I am now. Still got 2 beers left, too! Aside from that Poseiden adventure of a boot process (thanks to Nvidia's IDE drivers), everything is smooth as F'n silk. The sound problem must be limited to boot up or something because SOF2 sounded great and better than my Audigy. The onboard sound reminds me of the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - not too bassy and not too crisp, either.

The BIOS is wierd - I've never seen anything like it. If you change quite a few options (which you probably will) and save the changes, the system will reboot, displays the Video BIOS info (if it has any - my PNY GF4 Ti4200 does) and then a red box will appear - "DO NOT TURN OFF POWER WHILE BIOS SAVES CHANGES!!" About 3-5 seconds after that, it reboots again and POSTs normally...and blazing fast! Also, the BIOS has an embedded Flasher built-in. When I flashed earlier, it took a good 45-60 seconds because there's alot of room on the EEPROM to program.

Oh, MaxPower posted an old story about the stolen caps formula that seemed to plague alot of Abit boards for the most part. Knowing their reputation was in extreme peril, they've took the bull by the horns and the NFS-7 sports high quality caps from a leading Chinese foundry (can't remember the company's name at the moment) but that's not all - Abit now backs all of their high-performance boards by a 3-year warranty! :)

Tech support? That could be another can of worms tho....;)

I must say I'm impressed. :)

saturnotaku
06-05-03, 08:47 AM
Sy, have you tried the latest nForce drivers from the NVIDIA web site (version 2.41)? They supposedly fix a lot of issues people were having with garbled audio. Might want to give them a shot. :)

Glad to see you're up and running safely. The NF7 is a fantastic board. With the system already overclocked I'm going to try OC'ing my viddy card now that I got Sapphire's Redline utility to finally work.

Time to fire up some 3dmark01 to test for OC stability and artifacts. Got the card up from stock 378/337 and running at 440/360. :D

netviper13
06-05-03, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
Only one issue to tackle - sometimes, I'm getting stuttering/warbled sound. It's wierd because it only happens (so far) upon bootup but I was blaring MP3s after I installed the audio drivers and everything sounded great. Not going to be overclocking yet as I'm not too keen on it. It seems one false move in the BIOS and the board is curtains - too many complaints about the BIOS corrupting itself so I just running on the setup defaults until I get a BIOS Savior or something.

Welp, time to test it out in Frag-Land! :angel:

The BIOS corruption problems were almost completely fixed in Rev 2.0 boards. Just make sure you put all settings at default before flashing the BIOS and you will never have problems; pitty on those unfortunate souls who attempt flashing their BIOS while still running overclocked settings though, heh.

The Baron
06-05-03, 02:48 PM
I thought they pulled 2.41?

netviper13
06-05-03, 03:06 PM
They did. 2.03 are the offical ones on their site right now.

PsychoSy
06-08-03, 08:35 AM
Well, I was all happy with the onboard sound...until a minute ago.

It has become imperitive that I use headphones for my FPS gaming, especially in SOF2. Quite a number of folks at Quake*****'s servers use the USAS and it can be quite loud at 2-8AM in the morning (but if I were to turn the sound down too much, I'd not hear footsteps, etc.) so headphones are needed.

Anyway, I have Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers and they were originally hooked up this way on my Abit NF7-S...

Black Wire = Front L&R (black color-coded jack)
Green Wire = Rear L&R (green color-coded jack)

Worked great but I've read I won't be able to use headphones this way unless I bought a $6 splitter from Rat Shack. Don't want that at all. So I was tinkering around with the Speaker Setup Wizard on the nForce Tray and noticed that I could configure it to use LINE IN for the Rear L&R channels. That would free up a jack for headphones perfect.

Hooked it up that way and was fine...until I touched the LINE IN mixer slider. All 4 speakers suddenly started emitting the most god awful warble I ever heard. Tried muting it and unmuted it and it was still there. The only way to get rid of the warble was to reboot.

Tell me...is this is a driver issue?

If so, is there a fix? I hope there is or will be...

BTW using the latest nForce2 drivers from Windows Update (Ver. 5.10.2942)

Dazz
06-08-03, 09:46 AM
Hey what do you know, i got an nForce2 board last night also but mines an MSI K7N2, i can harly read the post screen my self :D tried out 3dMark 2001SE today and recived almost an extra 1000pts from just changing the board :)

AMD 760: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5456529
nVIDIA nForce 2: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6601459

How can you tell if dual channels working? is a message so post to come up? I got mine in slot 1 & 3. Heres my memory benchmark.

PsychoSy
06-08-03, 07:30 PM
My Abit pops up with "Dual Channel Enabled (266Mhz)" during POST.

I have my RAM in slots 3 & 2 per Abit's recommendation.

UDawg
06-09-03, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by netviper13
They did. 2.03 are the offical ones on their site right now.

Ya, the 2.03 fixed the IDE problem. Also if your system is trying to find SATA then disable it on the board. GRRR I whent a week before thinking about it. I just sat there like a bump on a log watching it trying to find SATA dirves I did not have. :(

Once you get a fast CPU and a good set of RAM your system will be to die for. Check these memory scores out.

I have a 2600xp with two sticks of PC3500xms.

Dazz
06-09-03, 03:15 AM
Yeah i flashed the BIOS and now it tells me thats it in dual mode :)
I can't do much overclocking yet due to my polly XP :(

Monolyth
06-09-03, 01:26 PM
Those are pretty good scores :)

Here's mine w/Intel's Dual Channel on a P4C800 Deluxe.

2x512MB Corsair PC3500C2

Slow Timings: 2.5-3-3

I'll do some fast timings tonight, but the difference will be negligable methinks.

UDawg
06-09-03, 06:45 PM
What is it about Intel that they get faster memory scores? I have noticed that for a long time. Yet mhz to mhz AMD has better CPU scores. Also what CPU you running?

nVidi0t
06-09-03, 06:48 PM
Because they run @ 800mhz FSB now ;)

UDawg
06-09-03, 06:50 PM
Way cool! I haven't payed attention to Intel since the P2. I have no problem with either company. I just got AMD cuz they cheap. :D

Monolyth
06-09-03, 10:33 PM
Aye!

P4C 3.0Ghz 800FSB
The higher memory scores "used" to be attributed to the RDRAM scenerio, however after PC1066 and the i850 chipset, Intel has ceased support for RDRAM on all chipsets.

And as you can see it was for the better. Can't wait for DDR2, though it will be a little while longer :(

Peace!

UDawg
06-09-03, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Monolyth
Aye!

P4C 3.0Ghz 800FSB
The higher memory scores "used" to be attributed to the RDRAM scenerio, however after PC1066 and the i850 chipset, Intel has ceased support for RDRAM on all chipsets.

And as you can see it was for the better. Can't wait for DDR2, though it will be a little while longer :(

Peace!

Impressive score to be sure. Now I am even more happy with my score when compared with a 3ghz 800fsb :)

Dazz
06-10-03, 05:54 PM
YEah still quite low when you think about it, 800MHz FSB of a P4 = thou 6.4GB but comes out as 4.1GB/sec so there is still a big diffrence. You know what i am starting to hate my board alittle there is like a 95% chance you will miss the post screen inorder to get in the BIOS :rolleyes: unless you keep pressing delete the 1 m/second the computer reboots

PsychoSy
06-11-03, 11:33 AM
Hooboy, what a morning I'm having.

I've been having problems with USB lately. Sometimes when I boot up, my USB mouse doesn't work at all and the machine would stop responding when I'd try to restart it. Got so sick of it that I formatted C drive clean. I had some SiS leftovers that needed to go (and I couldn't remove them from Device Manager).

While I was at it, I figured I would to try out the SATA converter on my WD 80 Gig and left my old Maxtor on the Primary IDE as slave. Reinstalled WinXP...and the god damned NT Bootloader was placed on the Maxtor drive. To compound that, my drive letters were all screwed up (C drive used to be H drive). I couldn't get used to that at all. Plus, my USB mouse would still take a siesta every few reboots.

I had to break down, remove the Maxtor drive completely, and reinstall again. The only IDE device in my system now is my TDK burner. Fearing that I'd still have issues with this damned mouse (a Logitech Marble Whell - it's like 3-4 years old), I hooked the bastard up to the PS2 port using an adapter.

I dare this trackball to die on me now!! :angel: :p

I'll pop the Maxtor drive back in when I can snag a compatible SATA converter for it, tho.

Monolyth
06-11-03, 12:16 PM
Hey Sy,
I run into that problem when I have a RAID array on a controller and regular ole drives hooked to Southbridge. Usually I just unplug the power to the drive on the Southbridge, until I install Windows XP and get booted up the first time. Then I shutdown, hook power back up and generally gtg. Sometimes I do have to shift my drive letters for dvd drives.

SATA is pretty nice.

But one thing ya'll.

Last night I had a big scare, I was going to give the latest DVDShrink Beta a try, so I started ripping Braveheart w/DVDDecrypter, and went to do some stuff. When I got back computer had rebooted and had (heavily paraphrased) the following:

"Please reboot and select the correct boot device."

I rebooted and found that one of my drives "fell" off of my array. I run RAID 0, so if it had gone to pot I was screwed. Luckily I was able to delete and build a new array and it was just fine.

That bothers me quite a bit though. Thinking about sending it in to Asus, Promise, and Western Digital. That's the first time my machine has ever done anything funky like that. It could have been a fluke, but to be safe I will be getting another WD 80GB to Ghost my array here soon.