PDA

View Full Version : Drakensang

Pages : [1] 2

stefan9
02-25-09, 04:32 AM
Anyone got the game yet?? Also anyone able to tell me if there's a difference between the uk or us version?? Planning on importing it but I need to know whether either version is censored. If the US one isn't then I can get the game sooner since the UK one only launches end of next month.

zarlaan
03-01-09, 04:11 AM
I just got the game today and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. I don't think there is any censored version. As far as I could tell US, UK, Australia and Japan all have the same things as the German version. There is so little info out about this game unless you can read the German websites and forums. It's sad too this so far is a really cool game.

The game looks fantastic graphics wise and plays incredibly smooth. Almost no bugs at all also which is rare for a game like this that can easily have 80+ hours of gameplay. To me this game is much better then NWN and probably one of the best RPG's I've played. I need to learn German so that I could visit some of the mod websites.

jolle
03-01-09, 04:50 AM
Tried the demo, had a hard time getting into it.
But I see alot of people who´re loving it over at Rage3d though, so..
Seems like its worth a look for the CRPG player, seems to have a lot of stuff in it.

Demo:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_36990.shtml

Logical
03-01-09, 11:14 AM
Played the demo and absolutley loved it, will defo be picking this one up. Best RPG since witcher imo.

NarcissistZero
03-01-09, 12:36 PM
Try the demo when I get home then. :D

Badboy_12345
03-01-09, 04:13 PM
Played the pirated version the whole day today and love it :)
(Im downloading it right now from gamersgate.com but its really slow)

Its the best representation of Baldures gate/Icewind dale in 3d. Fantastic.
Neverwinter nights sucks :p

shilk
03-01-09, 05:03 PM
Wow, the demo was freakin awesome! :eek: Was totally not expecting that.

I see there's already a sequel planned in English as well! Woot! Gonna have to keep an eye out on this series! :D I can't believe this game is ONLY 30 bucks at BestBuy. :D

In the short time I've played it, it ran far superior to NWN2 and looked freakin gorgeous! I ran it 16xAA and 8xCSAA with it completely maxed out @1440x900 and there was absolutely no lag. There was more ambience. music, eye candy and better voice acting than NWN2, and I was more absorbed in it as well.

The retards over at Obsidian should take note and learn how to code a real game for once. They can learn a lot from these German developers... or any decent developer for that matter. After paying for NWN2, I feel very ripped off seeing how Drakensang is cheaper and is the better the game than NWN2 is. :mad:

Soetdjuret
03-01-09, 05:32 PM
Dragonsong translated right?

Destroy
03-01-09, 07:34 PM
If the demo is anything to judge by, this game will be outstanding!!!!

This is another gem like The Witcher. Now all I have to do is finish The Witcher so I can buy this one.

|MaguS|
03-01-09, 08:18 PM
I like it but the camera controls need alot of work... also don't like that you can't really create your character (atleast from the demo) all you do is pick precreated characters/classes.

LurkerLito
03-01-09, 08:37 PM
I am grabbing the demo now to check it out.

I have been looking but I can't find the answer, what kind of copy protection does this have? I know only that it is securom, but what type, Activation, CD in drive, both or activation with install limits?

NarcissistZero
03-01-09, 11:39 PM
Demo is indeed pretty sweet, if you like this sort of thing (and I do). I assume high textures are only blocked in the demo?

http://www.abload.de/img/drakensang2009-03-012347ri.png

zarlaan
03-02-09, 12:07 AM
The full version is way better then the demo, obviously.

In the full version of the game you have 13 different types of characters you can configure. You can change some of the starting skills etc, but not too much just enough to fine tune it a little. You also have high res textures available.

So far the only negative thing I can even think about this game is just the camera. It's difficult at first to get used to but once you get the controls down it's really not an issue anymore. In the english retail version you can rotate using Q and E keys. If you just rebind them to A and D instead and use W to move forward you can keep your character centered.

Another issue a lot of people complained about in the Demo is that the other characters are like 10 seconds behind the one you're controlling. I haven't played the demo but in the full version you can select all group members and keep everybody moving together in a pack.

The game so far is virtually bug free. The only reported problems people are having are only due to cracking the securerom.

shilk
03-02-09, 12:18 AM
I have no issues with the camera at all. I actually love it since it felt like a lot of MMOs I've played. WSAD to move, and hold right mouse to look around and steer like EverQuest.

Plus, I love how it "fades out" anything that obstructs your view so you can still see where your character is going and stuff. Try running through trees or something, and you'll see what I mean. :)

|MaguS|
03-02-09, 08:57 AM
Plus, I love how it "fades out" anything that obstructs your view so you can still see where your character is going and stuff. Try running through trees or something, and you'll see what I mean. :)

Games have been doing that for a long time... Diablo 1 did that, fading obstructing objects.

Oh and I will disagree with you that this game looks better then NWN2. Its not even close to NWN2 in graphics quality. It runs better yes but does not look better at all. The games are different gameplay also, this one from what I have experianced is alot easier since its not using the D&D Rules, rarely did I have to pause the combat to plan...

Im not saying the game is bad, its really good... for a lower budget title but its not to the quality of The Witcher, NWN Series or the Baldurs Gate Series.

Badboy_12345
03-02-09, 09:35 AM
Games have been doing that for a long time... Diablo 1 did that, fading obstructing objects.

Oh and I will disagree with you that this game looks better then NWN2. Its not even close to NWN2 in graphics quality. It runs better yes but does not look better at all. The games are different gameplay also, this one from what I have experianced is alot easier since its not using the D&D Rules, rarely did I have to pause the combat to plan...

Im not saying the game is bad, its really good... for a lower budget title but its not to the quality of The Witcher, NWN Series or the Baldurs Gate Series.

NWN? Are you serious? REALLY? COME ON?!
That was the biggest piece of **** done to crpgs since the beginning of time.
Dont even put that **** between Witcher or Baldures gate.

I want to throw up now.. :bleh:

How can any possible fan of crpgs like NWN is mind boggling

I feel dirty for even writing the name

stefan9
03-02-09, 10:38 AM
I have the demo and loved the game. Every reading and asking on a few of the forums seem game isn't censored so I have ordered it from CD Universe. Can't use a digital distribution system since with our bandwith costs it would be exorbitant to obtain. Too bad they only have it on backorder so have to wait a bit.

But everything I am hear about this game is excellent. I can't wait to get my hands on it. With DAO delayed this should keep me happy for a while.:)

|MaguS|
03-02-09, 10:55 AM
NWN? Are you serious? REALLY? COME ON?!
That was the biggest piece of **** done to crpgs since the beginning of time.
Dont even put that **** between Witcher or Baldures gate.

I want to throw up now.. :bleh:

How can any possible fan of crpgs like NWN is mind boggling

I feel dirty for even writing the name

NWN is a realtime D&D game while Baldurs Gate was designed about turn based. The Witcher isn't even comparable since its not even D&D based and follows no such rules at all.

NWN Series is a great RPG series, Sure its not as good as teh Baldurs Gate Series but its totally different in gameplay style to compare the two shows how little you know of the games systems.

I was comparing this game to other RPGs in its genre and it fails to overcome them in multiple areas. By the way... if you hated NWN so much how can you like this game since its so much like it...

Badboy_12345
03-02-09, 01:18 PM
NWN is a realtime D&D game while Baldurs Gate was designed about turn based. The Witcher isn't even comparable since its not even D&D based and follows no such rules at all.

NWN Series is a great RPG series, Sure its not as good as teh Baldurs Gate Series but its totally different in gameplay style to compare the two shows how little you know of the games systems.

I was comparing this game to other RPGs in its genre and it fails to overcome them in multiple areas. By the way... if you hated NWN so much how can you like this game since its so much like it...

because they use D&D rules it automatically makes NWN a good game?
The enviroment, the story, the graphics, the feel of the game was the worst of any crpg released. NWN's 3d representation of a crpg was the worst.

Drakensang shows that you can make a 3d crpg game and have the same feeling of baldures gate/icewind dale. Drakensang is leaps and bound better in every way than NWN series were.

Drakensang is nothing like NWN. Like I said it captures the same feel of 2d crpgs like Baldures gate/icewind dale in a 3d world. Which NWN never could do

NarcissistZero
03-02-09, 01:24 PM
I have to agree, this game is better than NWN2 so far, from what I can tell. I loaded NWN2 up a few times and never again, it was just too rough and cumbersome.

shilk
03-02-09, 03:11 PM
I agree completely, NarcissistZero. :D For a game that's had so much success, you'd think that after two expansions and almost 2GB of patches would fix the damn game or make it decent enough to play, but they just break the game even more. They're such amateurs.

They're a good-for-nothing company that milks the name of a previous title and tries to cash in on it's success. At least DEMIURGE is working with Bioware on the next patch for Mass Effect and learning from their mistakes. Obsidian couldn't even admit to their mistakes and flat out LIED to everyone. The KoToR II fiasco is a prime example of their kniving business practices. They really need to just go away. If a company can blatantly do that to it's paying public and get caught for it, they don't deserve to stay in business.

In recent games, they've failed to do it correctly. NWN2 is a prime example. Rather than fade away what you need to see and give you that "tunnel vision" feel, they fade away a whole freakin level of a house or something. Not optimized at all. Especially seeing how they've designed the game and crowded too many things in one area. Their color palette asolutely sucks.

Then again, when was the last time we had an RPG such as Drakensang? To me, it just feels like they took all of the mistakes from other games and made sure not to duplicate them.

Oh and I will disagree with you that this game looks better then NWN2. Its not even close to NWN2 in graphics quality. It runs better yes but does not look better at all.
To each their own I guess. For me, I take it for face value. If I can run the game with all of the eye candy maxed and it looks better than what I'm comparing it to, then I consider it an optimized and well programmed game. NWN2 was neither. NWN2 just didn't have what it takes to suck me in. Clumsy controls, lag, poor programming, crap story with crap voice acting, etc. NWN1 was a far better game, imo.

The games are different gameplay also, this one from what I have experianced is alot easier since its not using the D&D Rules, rarely did I have to pause the combat to plan...
From what I read, they're using their own D&D based rules. Appearently Drakensang is a popular Pen & Paper RPG system over in Germany or something. But you're basing the simplicity on the demo which is the first level of the game. It's meant to be like a tutorial, so it's a bit unfair to judge it prematurely, no? The difficulty may get cranked up once you get more party members and move on to the next area or something. :)

I'm not going to say it compares to AAA titles either, but I think Drakensang has it's own right to be right up there with them for what it is—at least for me. :) It has pretty damn high production values from a company we've never heard of. I mean, how many of us heard about CDProjekt until The Witcher came out?

Companies such as CDProjekt and Radon Labs should be complimented and praised on what they've done instead of being picked apart and compared to other titles. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Obsidian because they're the only company I know that can take something that's not broken and manage to make it worse. How the hell can you do that anyways? :rolleyes:

ST:DS9
03-03-09, 04:44 PM
The KoToR II fiasco is a prime example of their kniving business practices. They really need to just go away. If a company can blatantly do that to it's paying public and get caught for it, they don't deserve to stay in business.

Lucas Arts cut their development time by 3 months, because Lucas Arts decided they needed a big seller for the Christmas time. Obsidian originally had till some months after Christmas to finish up the game, but then Lucas Arts forced them to release the game early. So they had to stop development real fast and head into testing. After that Lucas Arts fiasco, Lucas Arts did some rearranging, and the guy who made the decision to release KOTOR 2 early got canned.

You may not like NWN2, but I think it is a great game. Considering that they have a 3rd expansion in development, thats got to say something about NWN2. In many ways Obsidian has better story writers then Bioware does.

shilk
03-03-09, 08:06 PM
Lucas Arts cut their development time by 3 months, because Lucas Arts decided they needed a big seller for the Christmas time. Obsidian originally had till some months after Christmas to finish up the game, but then Lucas Arts forced them to release the game early. So they had to stop development real fast and head into testing. After that Lucas Arts fiasco, Lucas Arts did some rearranging, and the guy who made the decision to release KOTOR 2 early got canned.

That doesn't explain why they couldn't make it into a better game through patches and stuff. Why would they leave the scripts and uneeded files on the actual installation CD rather than cut them out and distribute them? Is it because of a future patch that would unlock them? Appearently not. Sloppy and lazy.

I'm not arguing about KoTorII specifically, but the company as a whole. They have no talent, and can't code themselves out of a wet paper bag. All they do is recycle code that some other developer has already written and use the same assets to produce sequels.

Anyways, I'd rather talk about Drakensang instead. The NWN2 CD is serving it's purpose well as my coaster right now. :D

You may not like NWN2, but I think it is a great game. Considering that they have a 3rd expansion in development, thats got to say something about NWN2. In many ways Obsidian has better story writers then Bioware does.

Yeah, I don't like it. Expansions pack don't make the game, though. :p Funny how you mention the writer at Obsidian because he worked at Black Isle/Bioware before he left and started Obsidian. He may be one of the best writers in the industry, but he forgot to hire talent for making the actual game when he left. Oops. :o That would explain a lot.

|MaguS|
03-03-09, 09:02 PM
That doesn't explain why they couldn't make it into a better game through patches and stuff. Why would they leave the scripts and uneeded files on the actual installation CD rather than cut them out and distribute them? Is it because of a future patch that would unlock them? Appearently not. Sloppy and lazy.

I'm not arguing about KoTorII specifically, but the company as a whole. They have no talent, and can't code themselves out of a wet paper bag. All they do is recycle code that some other developer has already written and use the same assets to produce sequels.

Anyways, I'd rather talk about Drakensang instead. The NWN2 CD is serving it's purpose well as my coaster right now. :D

Yeah, I don't like it. Expansions pack don't make the game, though. :p Funny how you mention the writer at Obsidian because he worked at Black Isle/Bioware before he left and started Obsidian. He may be one of the best writers in the industry, but he forgot to hire talent for making the actual game when he left. Oops. :o That would explain a lot.

Before you go spouting how a developer has no talents (specifically the developer who many of the team are the guys behind BG) why don't you go showing us your talent so we can see your credentials to judging these guys game development skills.

And yes when a publisher tells a developer that they need the game out next month when they had planned to release the game 4 months later that would hurt development alot. The script was left in there because they were planning on used it and had to cut it to make the set gold date. Since its clear that you know nothing of game development I will clarify something for you. You can't remove code just because its not being used, it could cause a huge bug or break the game. Many games often have code left in because of this.

Drakensang is not a bad game but NWN2 is better, end of story. You might not think so but its sales and popularity clearly do.

NarcissistZero
03-03-09, 11:11 PM
Drakensang is not a bad game but NWN2 is better, end of story. You might not think so but its sales and popularity clearly do.

So Titanic is the best movie ever made, then?

I'm not going to join in on the Obsidian hate, I have honestly never played any of their games long enough to know what I think of them, but let's not start acting like sales and popularity equals true quality. A hundred movies, albums and games argue easily against that, from the previously mentioned Titanic all the way to Halo.