PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hard Drives up in Smoke... pics

XP_GUN
03-01-09, 06:23 PM
Yeah the first time ever I had lost 2 of my HD's. Both my WD 250GB and WD 120GB. Thank god there was no information on them since they were mostly being used as another process and test bed. They were both installed on my new little computer when I believe the power supply took the dump and killed them both. I donít yet know if the motherboard is fried or Graphics card. But I do know that the DVD is still working so it makes me believe that since the 2 hard drives were connected to the same cord that they fried and not everything else.

So anyway here are some photos. The crazy thing is they fried on the same chip on both boards.

CaptNKILL
03-01-09, 06:52 PM
Woa! :eek:

Man, that really sucks. I've never seen anything like that.

My exact words when seeing the pics of the bubbling chip: Holy sh**!... HOLY F***!!!

:lol:

Seriously. I've never seen anything like that. What brand was the PSU? :o

Logical
03-01-09, 06:58 PM
I too am very interested to know what brand PSU you had.

XP_GUN
03-01-09, 07:21 PM
It was a X-Connect Ultra 500w that I got in 2005. I guess the miles had just caught up to it and it finally went out with a bang.

Ill have some photos the the psu once I finish dissecting it trying to find the cause.

CaptNKILL
03-01-09, 07:25 PM
I wonder who makes those PSUs. Usually they're built by another brand.

Hopefully they don't use that design any more. I've had power supplies that took a power surge, blew up and left burn marks on the 20 pin ATX power connector on the motherboard without frying a single component (including the motherboard!). A unit that randomly pops and causes physical damage to two hard drives is about as bad as it can get... short of causing a house fire of course.

Starscream
03-02-09, 06:01 PM
I wonder who makes those PSUs. Usually they're built by another brand.

It was probably built by monkeys. This is why you don't buy from companies like Ultra that'll subcontract anyone or anything to make stuff for them so long as it's cheap enough.

nekrosoft13
03-02-09, 09:53 PM
check my previous post, i always told people to stay away from Ultra PSU, i know numerosus people that bought those POS PSU from Tiger and then had burned, dead motherboards, HDDs, Optical Drives etc...