PDA

View Full Version : Funny EULA from Ubisoft - HAWX PC demo

rudedog
03-02-09, 12:34 PM
Has anyone read the EULA for Ubisoft's HAWX PC demo?

DRM: Note bold - got to love that part

THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT MAY BE PROTECTED BY DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE (žDRM SOFTWAREÓ). IN SUCH CASE, THE USER HEREBY AGREES, ACKNOWLEDGES AND CONSENTS TO THE FOLLOWING REGARDING THE DRM SOFTWARE: (I) THAT THE INSTALLATION OF THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT WILL CAUSE THE DRM SOFTWARE TO BE INSTALLED ON THE USER'S COMPUTER; (II) THE DRM SOFTWARE MAY LIMIT THE NUMBER OF INSTALLATIONS OF THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT; (III) THE DRM SOFTWARE MAY INSTALL ON THE USER'S COMPUTER ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS REQUIRED FOR COPY PROTECTION; AND (IV) DURING THE INSTALLATION AND/OR THE FIRST LAUNCH, AN ONLINE CONNECTION MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNLOCK THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT THROUGH THE DRM SOFTWARE. IN NO EVENT SHALL UBISOFT BE LIABLE IN CONNECTION WITH THE COMPONENTS THAT MAY BE INSTALLED ON THE USER'S COMPUTER BY ANY DRM SOFTWARE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE OF THE DRM SOFTWARE APPEARING DURING THE INSTALLATION OF THE GAME.

Thinking about modding this game, think again:
It is not permitted:
- To make copies of the Multimedia Product,
- To operate the Multimedia Product commercially,
- To use it contrary to morality or the laws in force,
- To modify the Multimedia Product or create any derived work,
- To transmit the Multimedia Product via a telephone network or any other electronic means, except during multi-player games on authorised networks,
- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios,
- To decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble the Multimedia Product.
Hey we all just broke the EULA by downloading this demo

WOW they have a 90 day Warranty. This is a first!
Ubisoft warrants to the original purchaser of its products (the žUserÓ) that the products will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase.

Wait a minute... the next sentence states:
Ubisoft products are sold "as is", without any expressed or implied warranties of any kind, and Ubisoft is not liable for any losses or damages of any kind resulting from use of its products.

This combined with the 20 minutes of game play really has me thinking, do I want to install a ubisoft product? Then I thought what is the last Ubisoft product I've installed, can't seem to remember. I wonder why.

Logical
03-02-09, 12:37 PM
DRM....The biggest reason PC gamers are turning to Piracy.

NarcissistZero
03-02-09, 12:47 PM
DRM....The biggest B.S. excuse PC gamers use to justify Piracy.

Fixed.

rudedog
03-02-09, 12:52 PM
or

"Piracy" the excuse given when a developer/publisher blames anything other then their lack of a good/solid/working product.

Lfctony
03-02-09, 12:57 PM
or

"Piracy" the excuse given when a developer/publisher blames anything other then their lack of a good/solid/working product.

:thumbsup:

Logical
03-02-09, 01:15 PM
Seriously, what is the point in Devs sticking DRM on games...All its doing is ****ing over the people who buy the game, whilst the pirates laugh in there faces with there pirated DRM free versions. :/

jAkUp
03-02-09, 01:23 PM
Seriously, what is the point in Devs sticking DRM on games...All its doing is ****ing over the people who buy the game, whilst the pirates laugh in there faces with there pirated DRM free versions. :/

Believe it or not, many forms of DRM work, for example, one of the goals is to prevent piracy before the games launch date, and it seems that games that have online activation have completely solved this problem. Games like BioShock, FEAR2, HL2, etc were not pirated before the games release.

NarcissistZero
03-02-09, 01:32 PM
Believe it or not, many forms of DRM work, for example, one of the goals is to prevent piracy before the games launch date, and it seems that games that have online activation have completely solved this problem. Games like BioShock, FEAR2, HL2, etc were not pirated before the games release.

Yes.

There are many recent games which weren't pirated, or pirated in full complete versions, for a long while after the games came out. The whole "DRM NEVER WORKS" complaint is just bluster.

I don't like limited activations, but other than that I welcome DRM as a way to thwart pirates who damage my hobby and steal from those who make awesome games for us all to play.

Logical
03-02-09, 01:33 PM
Ye i hear you jakup, buts whats with all this 'only to be installed 3 times on the same machine' crap?

Spore i believe is an example of this...

I'm all for anti piracy, but i do believe there are other ways to do it.

NarcissistZero
03-02-09, 01:36 PM
Ye i hear you jakup, buts whats with all this 'only to be installed 3 times on the same machine' crap?

Spore i believe is an example of this...

I'm all for anti piracy, but i do believe there are other ways to do it.

I agree with that.

I am pretty sure the Steam/Games for Windows method will become the standard rather soon... online activation and needing to sign in for content updates, but no activation limits. Works for me, personally.

LurkerLito
03-02-09, 03:33 PM
I sure hope GFWL doesn't become any standard ever. The idea that a f**k up like Epic did can happen just cause they mistakenly put a "certificate expiration date" on it then people had to wait a few days to play their game because epic had to resubmit stuff to MS before they would let it go is just BS. Games other than maybe MMOs should never have any kind of expiration date on anything. And don't even get me started on the whole points BS that I detest about the Fallout3 expansion.

NarcissistZero
03-02-09, 03:58 PM
I sure hope GFWL doesn't become any standard ever. The idea that a f**k up like Epic did can happen just cause they mistakenly put a "certificate expiration date" on it then people had to wait a few days to play their game because epic had to resubmit stuff to MS before they would let it go is just BS. Games other than maybe MMOs should never have any kind of expiration date on anything. And don't even get me started on the whole points BS that I detest about the Fallout3 expansion.

Angry poster is angry.

Every DRM system is going to have its annoyances, but Steam and Live! are a lot better than common alternatives, and really are not that bad. You accentuate the negative, which I noticed is a theme on PC forums.

In any event, blame pirates who steal things and make all this neccessary.

Dreamweavernoob
03-02-09, 04:38 PM

Not fear 2 ^^

The Who
03-02-09, 04:48 PM
The real question is what is an acceptable and reasonable way to really stop people from stealing games.
O yeah fun demo. :D

Crow_Nest
03-02-09, 09:24 PM
I sure hope GFWL doesn't become any standard ever.

Couldnt agree more. When i installed GTAIV i only got the bloody game to run after more than 30mins of installing, updating and configuring GFWL. Which is like a totally unnecessary thing to do. Why the hell do i need to install and sign into GFWL in order to get updates or even save my game progress? Screw microsoft.

proliferazor
03-02-09, 09:38 PM
Yes.

There are many recent games which weren't pirated, or pirated in full complete versions, for a long while after the games came out. The whole "DRM NEVER WORKS" complaint is just bluster.

I don't like limited activations, but other than that I welcome DRM as a way to thwart pirates who damage my hobby and steal from those who make awesome games for us all to play.

problem is that games are NEVER EVER what we are ment to believe they are. We are lied to by advertising all the time everytime. You should always look at a products advertising as what the game will FAIL AT BEING. That said there are good games out there and devs should get paid for making them. I think its the crooked advertisers and the crooked CEOs and **** who just want to lie there way to making it rich instead of creating better software and better software access, thats why I like steam they know that there service is easier to use than buying retail and thepiratebay and that creates SALES :) Its all about accessability, ease of use, and quality, valve gets it and there getting rich as **** and im happy for them 100%

Did you guys hear that bill gates's kids can't use ipods or macs at home, he forbids it lol, what a dumb****, thats how he treats the world like a geeky buisness bully he don't care WHY people like ipods and macs, i bet his kids could tell him why apples d!ck is so far up his ass lately but he's crooked as hell and doesn't want to see the opportunity right before him. Monopoly is all he knows, and balmer is a mirror image...

ok rants over...

Jon
03-03-09, 08:36 AM
problem is that games are NEVER EVER what we are ment to believe they are. We are lied to by advertising all the time everytime.

I agree with that. I realise the whole idea of advertising is to trick us into buying cr@p, but its wearing a bit thin in all areas. I'm sick of buying games full of bugs that for some reason magazines still give gold awards to. I'm sick of buying films that are hyped up and turn out to be pants. But ok, thats my decision and my own fault for falling for the advertising. Still doesn't make it feel any better when I buy a game, play it once and chuck it to the back of the shelf (can't even trade PC games!).

As for DRM. Fear 2 and DOW 2 were both pirated and being played by pirates before I could even install my store bought copies thanks to steam servers being really slow that night. I couldn't install Fear 2 on the day I bought it thanks to steam and steams been all over the place this last couple of weeks, so sometimes I couldn't play Fear 2 or DOW 2 when I wanted.

Whilst I see some of the nice things steam brings (allowing me to dl my games wherever I am, etc) I just stick it in offline mode 99% of the time so I'm not told when I can and can't play my own games!

Oh and incidently... I wanted to buy a 2nd copy of DOW2... why is it vastly more expensive on steam? For £10 cheaper I can order it online and have it brought to my door with shiny disc, manual and box... why is a download more expensive when its going to take me half the day to download it anyway I might as well order it online!

Kaguya
03-03-09, 10:23 AM
So after reading this, I thought I'd look up whether these are actually legally binding. While I'm no lawyer, it seems to me that any 'unusually ridiculous' EULA entry would probably be frowned upon in a court of law and, despite agreeing to it, may not make it legally binding. I did find this below:

From: http://www.lfpress.ca/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=174328&x=articles&s=shopping

So are such provisions actually binding?The fact is that click wrap like agreements have been around forever. Every time you buy a concert ticket, park in a lot or attend a sports event you are agreeing to things you have not likely read.

There is a line of "ticket cases" where the courts decided such agreements are binding, so long as reasonable efforts were made to bring them to the user's attention and the terms are reasonable. The courts recognize this type of agreement is necessary for modern life, but, at the same time, their one-sided nature is open to abuse.

The courts will not, however, enforce provisions they deem to be unexpected or unusual. Provisions that purport to allow the software vendor to use your computer to send spam or where you consent to infecting your computer with a virus would clearly not be enforceable.

So this statement in the Ubisoft EULA "IN NO EVENT SHALL UBISOFT BE LIABLE IN CONNECTION WITH THE COMPONENTS THAT MAY BE INSTALLED ON THE USER'S COMPUTER BY ANY DRM SOFTWARE." could be invalid should Ubisoft be aware that software which is being installed with its application is actually spyware, a virus, or will physically damage the system. EULA or no EULA, saying you're not responsible for damages you know you've caused is not reasonable.

NarcissistZero
03-03-09, 11:25 AM
Yes, EULAs are notorious for really meaning nothing if you take them to court, not only because they are not really reasonable often, but also because no one reads them.

As for "they try to get us to buy bad games"... what do you think marketing is? It's up to you to be cautious, read up on opinions and reactions, see who developed the game and make your own decision. Stealing the game to "try it out" is NOT a reasonable alternative however, and does not apply to things like cars, houses and food because you would get caught. The ease of theft on the Internet is the only reason people find it morally acceptable, which makes no sense.

proliferazor
03-03-09, 02:41 PM
Stealing the game to "try it out" is NOT a reasonable alternative however,

lol yes it is lots of people do it, and they end up with a better gaming experience.

sillyeagle
03-03-09, 09:59 PM
Well I don't know, I've got a copy of Clear Sky at home that I'm going to have to pirate becuase it wont let me play otherwise. Kinda funny how they are actually FORCING people to become pirates by their attempts to prevent that.

This isn't even the first game I have had to do this with.

Jon
03-04-09, 10:04 AM
I fully understand why people pirate games. I always pay my money though even though developers have beaten me down. I usually go out and buy a game to support the developers, go home, chuck it on the shelf and dl a drm free one. I figure that at least if I ever get into trouble over the dling then I have a store bought copy of every game I've dled.

Albo
03-04-09, 06:00 PM
I fully understand why people pirate games. I always pay my money though even though developers have beaten me down. I usually go out and buy a game to support the developers, go home, chuck it on the shelf and dl a drm free one. I figure that at least if I ever get into trouble over the dling then I have a store bought copy of every game I've dled.

???
What's the point of that?

Jon
03-05-09, 02:43 AM
???
What's the point of that?

Well, taking dawn of war as an example... I love dawn of war and I'm really into Dawn of war 2. If I want them to keep making expansions for DOW2 and in future DOW3 then I need to support the developer by paying money for the games. BUT I'm sick of steam and sick of windows live, online activation, having cds in to run a game. So the dled version lets me enjoy playing the game whenever I want without having to hunt for cds or curse that steam is down again.