PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive goes belly-up.

Capt. Picard
03-03-09, 04:20 AM
I've been formatting a collegues PC. Everything went schwimmingly until I switched the computer on again one morning. Windows does not want to boot. After a while an error message comes up that the hal.dll file is missing. Now, this is easily fixable, but this is not the only problem. If I try to format and install Windows again I get the message the computer can't detect the harddrive and then after a couple of seconds a blue screen pops-up stating that the ntdll.dll is corrupt. This points clearly to harddrive failure, but hear this, if I connect the harddrive in another computer it works 100%.

Now the rant: This pisses me off big-time that a computer works fine and then just when I work on it, it goes belly-up. How the hell am I to explain this to the collegue who knows nothing of computers who would think I broke it somehow.

Do you think that it is indeed a hardware failure.

EciDemon
03-03-09, 04:48 AM
If you got a spare drive, anything you should test it in your friends computer. Maybe it's the sata interface that's messed up and not the harddrive it self. I've seen my fair share of crappy mobos out there.

Also make sure s.m.a.r.t feature is enabled and see if you get any alarm from it during bootup.

Do try different sata ports if possible as well.

I've had similar things happen as well, when things go from bad to worse and the person you tried to help think it's your fault, In my case it was a bad bios ... nothing I could do anything about.

JaxMacFL
03-03-09, 08:52 AM
In bios, make sure in the hard drive section that the os hard drive is selected as the number one hard drive and first in boot priority section. I had a simular result as you when my flash drive was selected as the first hard drive.

CaptNKILL
03-03-09, 09:22 AM
Three things it could be:

Bad Windows CD
Bad Memory
Bad hard drive cable

If it isn't any of those then it could be a bad hard drive controller. There really isn't any reason for a "dead" drive to work in one computer and not in another.

If its a bad windows CD its easily fixable. ;)

If its the memory or any other component you can usually say that any problems they were having that required a reinstall of windows were created by failing hardware. That will get them off your back.

Tr1cK
03-03-09, 10:08 AM

Bad Windows CD
Bad Memory
Bad hard drive cable

If it isn't any of those then it could be a bad hard drive controller. There really isn't any reason for a "dead" drive to work in one computer and not in another.

If its the memory or any other component you can usually say that any problems they were having that required a reinstall of windows were created by failing hardware. That will get them off your back.

Don't forget, bad optical drive used for install. I had that problem on my HTPC.

Capt. Picard
03-03-09, 10:58 AM

Bad Windows CD
Bad Memory
Bad hard drive cable

Don't forget, bad optical drive used for install. I had that problem on my HTPC.

Funny thing. It came right again.

I installed it in my computer (in which it works fine) and formatted it there. I plugged it back in again and then tried a clean install again and ... it worked.

Now I know this isn't suppose to have any effect on the fact that it works now in the original computer, but at least it works. I'm going to continue praying and keeping good karma around the pc until I've finished installing all the software. I'm busy installing SP3. I've already installed all the drivers.

An intermittent faulty drive controller seems the likely culprit here I think.

Quick420
03-03-09, 11:38 AM
I had a similar issue with an older Dell Dimension,it turned out to be a dead motherboard battery.Once I installed a new battery everthing went smoothly,and the system is back in full use.If it's an older system its worth looking at even if it's not the problem,it's likely failing too.