PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 780i vs. Gigabyte P35-DS3r??

ryan29121
03-03-09, 01:20 PM
I currently have a gigabyte p35-ds3r and I really like it alot. My friend doesnt really have a need for his 780i anymore because of an upgrade and wants to give it to me (free of charge). Is there much of a difference between the two as far as performance / stability / overclocking? I dont plan on doing an SLI so that feature is useless. What do you think, should I swap out my board for this one? All my specs are listed below. Thanks in advance for your help.

Absolution
03-03-09, 10:21 PM
Given my track record of nForce chipsets that are garbage, I'll just say: If it aint broken, don't fix it.

Tym
03-04-09, 02:54 AM
I definitely wouldn't swap anything if you are happy with your current board. Intel's 3-series chipsets are rock solid, while nForce can have some quirks (to say the least). You have a hefty overclock on that CPU and memory, and that says a lot about the quality of the board that can run them stable at these settings. And since you say you're not taking the SLI route, which is really the only viable reason to consider an nV chipset, just stick to what you have and avoid the hassle...

Revs
03-04-09, 03:38 AM
It's FREE man! At least spend a bit of time trying it. OK the nVidia boards can have their problems, but IMO there are more 'pros' to counter the 'cons'. If you don't like it you can swap back, at least you can then say you gave it a chance ;).

BTW, this Asus 780i mobo I have now is the best mobo I've ever had, and I've had several P35 boards. It's not been a minutes trouble. It'll run at over 500Mhz FSB stable. Seems to be a big improvement over the 680i, even though very little was altered.

Medion
03-04-09, 10:28 AM
In the past, I've had questionable results with nForce mobos. However, the 650i I'm running now (and the NF4 SLI on my wife's system) have been rock solid for nearly a year, knock on wood.

However, I don't OC.

Bman212121
03-04-09, 11:22 AM
I would probably stick with what you have currently. I like the 780i board but I have yet to keep mine stable with a high OC like yours. What I have in my sig right now could run P95 all day long, then when I'm just browsing the net or something simple it might act up. Keeping it at 3.0ghz everything just runs great and I don't have issues.

SLippe
03-04-09, 09:14 PM
It's FREE! Take it and maybe build another rig with it. You don't have to get rid of what you have right now. I've never had a problem with nForce boards, but did with the Gigabyte board, however, it appears after-the-fact, that it may have been bad memory. Again, take the 780i or sell it to me for cheap! :D

CaptNKILL
03-04-09, 09:36 PM
Keep your current board.

Take that one as well if you can. :p

ryan29121
03-04-09, 10:25 PM
I think ill take everyone advice and keep the one I currently have. I think I'm going to take the 780i board from him and probably sell it for its probably worth about $100-150. This board he is giving me is basically a payment for helping him out with his computers. Thanks again for everyone opinions.