PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard's working on final patch for Diablo II, wants your input

NaitoSan
03-04-09, 10:03 PM
We’re in the process of working on Diablo II content patch 1.13, and we want to try to include the Diablo community’s most important changes in our production schedule. To achieve this we’re asking for your input on what you’d like to see in this patch. However, we’re making it a bit stricter than a full-blown wish list.

If you were to get an advance look at the patch notes for Diablo II 1.13, what is the one patch note you would want to see?

Our goal is to get an overall sense of the single most important request from every member of the community. We want as many posts as we can get for the largest cross section, so if you have friends who used to play Diablo II or just don’t frequent the forums as much as you do, let them know this is here so we can get their “#1 patch note” too.

Please be mindful that we’re not going to be able to make every change mentioned, but hopefully with your feedback we can prioritize and do our best to cover as much as possible.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=15443288961&sid=3000&pageNo=1

Wow, I think that's pretty awesome of Blizzard.

|MaguS|
03-04-09, 10:06 PM
higher then 800x600 res!

NaitoSan
03-04-09, 10:16 PM
Ability to respec stats/skills would be nice.

Yaboze
03-04-09, 11:20 PM
Very cool! Lot of posts on that thread. From skimming the pages, I see most people want:

1. Shared Stash
2. Higher Resolution/Widescreen support
3. Exploits/Hacks Fixed

NarcissistZero
03-05-09, 12:57 AM
higher then 800x600 res!

Word... I still don't know of a good res-mod. Seeing Fallout and other old pixel games in 1920 res is pretty amazing.

Bman212121
03-05-09, 01:28 AM
Something tells me this might be related to Diablo 3...

I'd have to agree the biggest feature would be higher resolution.

shilk
03-05-09, 01:47 AM
higher then 800x600 res!

This, I completely agree on. It would be wonderful to play this again at higher resolutions! :D

crainger
03-05-09, 02:34 AM
Word... I still don't know of a good res-mod. Seeing Fallout and other old pixel games in 1920 res is pretty amazing.

Planescape and BG look very nice. Sure things get kinda small, but it's worth it. Saves having to keep a CRT around. ::D:

LCD scaling = fail. ::(:

K007
03-05-09, 03:17 AM
<3 Blizzard. They know there gamers and listen which is why they are so successful.

Oh and the patch update should read this

Final Diablo 2 Patch.

After installing this patch you can play Diablo 3 !!!

LordJuanlo
03-05-09, 04:34 AM
Yep, higher resolution and widescreen support would offer a massive field of vision. That would be number one priority for me

Buio
03-05-09, 06:08 AM
higher then 800x600 res!

Starcraft and Diablo II are both 2D games which means that by allowing higher resolutions you allow players with big screens to see more of the playfield than people with small screens. This gives a huge advantage in multiplayer for those with large screens. In a 3D game, you can allow any resolution and still have everyone see as much of the playfield as it just scales everything.

Now that said, does people still play Diablo 2 online? Yes even if it is a smaller community today of course. I don't think Blizzard will allow higher resolution not even in Diablo 2.

LordJuanlo
03-05-09, 08:01 AM
That's no excuse to allow high resolution. They could add a high res / widescreen mode for solo play, and options for people with different resolutions to play together if they want to (if they are playing coop)

Buio
03-05-09, 09:33 AM
That's no excuse to allow high resolution. They could add a high res / widescreen mode for solo play, and options for people with different resolutions to play together if they want to (if they are playing coop)

Why do you think there is no higher res mode? Except from the difficulty of implementing it of course.

LordJuanlo
03-05-09, 10:23 AM
No idea why it hasn't been implemented yet, but it shouldn't be very difficult, there are known hacks to make it work, look at this (http://newd2event.net/index.php?id=hacks/PseudoResolution) hack, I think it works by intercepting DirectX calls. It's unofficial and it does not work (I think) in 64bit OS, but if a hacker can do it, Blizzard should be able too. Another hack here (http://phrozenkeep.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51560&highlight=d2multires).

http://newd2event.net/img/hacks/PseudoResolution_.jpg

And look at this (http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1852/bigresjj0.jpg) awesome screenshot.

|MaguS|
03-05-09, 10:40 AM
Starcraft and Diablo II are both 2D games which means that by allowing higher resolutions you allow players with big screens to see more of the playfield than people with small screens. This gives a huge advantage in multiplayer for those with large screens. In a 3D game, you can allow any resolution and still have everyone see as much of the playfield as it just scales everything.

Now that said, does people still play Diablo 2 online? Yes even if it is a smaller community today of course. I don't think Blizzard will allow higher resolution not even in Diablo 2.

considering that both games have fog of war, all a player would see by gaining the extra view would be the fog. And that reason still is stupid, that is like saying that a CAL Player is cheating if he plays CS with a 16:9 resolution and his opponent can only support 4:3.

Buio
03-05-09, 12:48 PM
considering that both games have fog of war, all a player would see by gaining the extra view would be the fog.

I see you have played much SC and D2 multiplayer.

Here is an stone age old FAQ for SC:
http://www.battle.net/scc/faq/general.shtml
"Allowing multiple resolutions would give too much of an advantage to players with newer or higher-end systems."

They gave some similar answer regarding D2 but couldn't find any links.

NarcissistZero
03-05-09, 06:24 PM
The "multiplayer advantage" excuse is sad and ridiculous. A) they could do it for single-player only, B) a nicer mouse, clearer monitor and even a better office chair could all be called advantages, as would a better Internet connection, C) what kind of advantage would it be in Diablo anyway? Most online play is co-op, and if you're fighting someone you're going to be relatively close to them anyway.

Higher res now Blizz, kthnx.

Buio
03-05-09, 07:09 PM
They could increase it to 1280x1024 minimum which should be considered a common low end spec. Even for multiplayer I mean.

Even so, I don't really care. I hope the put more effort in finishing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. The time from their first big presentation of a new product to when I can buy it in a store is ridiculous. I gave up on SC2 hype and enjoy the excellent Dawn of War 2 instead.

ViN86
03-05-09, 07:43 PM
I see you have played much SC and D2 multiplayer.

Here is an stone age old FAQ for SC:
http://www.battle.net/scc/faq/general.shtml
"Allowing multiple resolutions would give too much of an advantage to players with newer or higher-end systems."

They gave some similar answer regarding D2 but couldn't find any links.

that's a cop out. buy a bigger screen if youre such a hardcore gamer. DUH

Buio
03-05-09, 09:12 PM
that's a cop out. buy a bigger screen if youre such a hardcore gamer. DUH

I'm happy with my 1920x1200.

Badboy_12345
03-06-09, 02:45 AM
Yeah higher res!

Ninjaman09
03-06-09, 09:48 AM
I don't know if higher res would be all that great, considering the game sprites wouldn't scale, your character sure would be awfully tiny at 1920x1200. :)

Biggest things for me would be respec/restat, some kind of new potion system (stacking would be great), more stash space, shared stash. Actually even though it went under, Hellgate: London had a pretty nice system set up for inventory management. It's really too bad that game was so poorly managed, it had some serious potential.

Guess I'll have to reinstall D2 again once this patch comes out. :D

NarcissistZero
03-06-09, 09:03 PM
I don't know if higher res would be all that great, considering the game sprites wouldn't scale, your character sure would be awfully tiny at 1920x1200. :)

It works VERY well for many other old pixel games.