PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Crow_Nest
03-05-09, 07:22 AM
Just got my copy less than an hour ago, but my parents are currently hogging the damn television! Cant wait to play it, im actually more interested in the plot rather than the actual game itself. :)

Forgive my poor picture quality, these were taken on my crappy nokia phone camera.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4963/image043c.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5567/image046.jpg

Whats cool is that the game's cover art can be swapped the other way round if you want the japanese box art instead of the US one.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3543/image044.jpg

Tygerwoody
03-05-09, 08:35 AM
nice. Let us know how the game is.

Tuork
03-05-09, 08:41 AM
A friend got it as well.
From what I understand, it has coop mode, so I think I'll be hunting zombies this weekend. :)

Crow_Nest
03-05-09, 08:56 AM
Yes it has coop for both offline and online. I tried the demo on coop with my friend, great stuff.

Anyway just played until the 3rd level. First 30 mins - 45 mins of the game is mostly spent around the same environments. Which can bore some of you guys to tears, but thankfully the design is varied enough so you dont feel that you are going through the same buildings over and over again. To be honest, i found the first two levels to be rather monotonous. The only part which excited me was the first boss battle, which i wont spoil here.

Havent gotten much into the story yet, but i think its getting along nicely. Atmosphere wise it feels kinda like RE4 but is a little different due to the black hawk down setting. The game isnt as scary as i thought. Sure it might have some disturbing scenes, but so far none of which are as creepy as those in dead space.

Your AI controlled partner was obviously trained to waste ammo because all she does is fire at the first enemy she sees, rather than relying on melee attacks. You can swap ammo, weapons and health items with one another, and yeah you can even request for items from her.

You can now only buy/sell weapons and upgrades at the end of every level. You enter a screen where you can re-organise your current items as well as sell them. After that, you begin the level.

The game is automatically saved at checkpoints and also at the end of each level. No more "typewriter" save stations in RE5.

Mr. Hunt
03-05-09, 02:05 PM
I hate your guts... I still have to wait until next Friday to get my CE :(.

JaylumX
03-05-09, 02:19 PM
I hate your guts... I still have to wait until next Friday to get my CE :(.

Ditto :(

Marvel_us
03-05-09, 06:19 PM
Killzone 2 is occupying my time more than enough to wait for this game next week. On top of that Spring break starts that time too. It'll be hard balancing my time between this and Killzone 2. Street Fighter 4 unfortunately is just collecting dust atm, lol.

Destroy
03-05-09, 10:01 PM
If the come out with an option to turn off the piss filter and alter the controls, I might consider getting it.

NarcissistZero
03-05-09, 11:06 PM
If the come out with an option to turn off the piss filter and alter the controls, I might consider getting it.

Same.

Hopefully the PC port does these things.

crainger
03-05-09, 11:50 PM
I still need to try the demo... I'll prob wait for PC. Can't do scary games on console LOL ::D:

Marvel_us
03-06-09, 02:58 AM
Controls are fine once you learn them. RE games don't play like CoD.

crainger
03-06-09, 03:42 AM
They don't?! LAME! Next you will tell me God of War doesn't play like Gears of War.

NarcissistZero
03-06-09, 09:13 PM
Controls are fine once you learn them. RE games don't play like CoD.

4 and 5 do, yet still control like they don't. Hence the problem.

Mr. Hunt
03-06-09, 09:29 PM
They don't play like CoD at all... is it more action packed than previous games? Sure... but it isn't a warzone. And there definitely isn't infinite zombies until you move past a certain point ;).

Marvel_us
03-06-09, 09:52 PM
4 and 5 do, yet still control like they don't. Hence the problem.

I guess we played two different demos because after the 3rd play through the game felt way too easy once I learned the controls. Not to mention the game has a quick turn around that is a must to use against certain enemies. If the game controlled like CoD it would be waaaaaaaay too easy.

The real problem is people not taking the time and effort to learn how to play the game. If that's the case then maybe the system they need is a Wii.

NaitoSan
03-06-09, 10:11 PM
I agree, RE4 or 5 doesn't play like CoD at all. Nowadays people quickly dismiss games based on tiny problem like "piss" effect or not willing to take time to learn the control. :rolleyes:

NarcissistZero
03-06-09, 10:42 PM
The real problem is people not taking the time and effort to learn how to play the game. If that's the case then maybe the system they need is a Wii.

I played all the games before 4 with no problem, as well as Silent Hill games. "Learning" the controls is not the problem. They turned the series into much more of a shooter and left the controls the same as when it was an adventure/puzzle game. It feels clunky and annoying, and I am far from alone in saying so. Glad you like it... I do not.

More to the point, if I want to play a shooter I will buy a game that plays and controls like one.

Marvel_us
03-06-09, 11:08 PM
I played all the games before 4 with no problem, as well as Silent Hill games. "Learning" the controls is not the problem. They turned the series into much more of a shooter and left the controls the same as when it was an adventure/puzzle game. It feels clunky and annoying, and I am far from alone in saying so. Glad you like it... I do not.

More to the point, if I want to play a shooter I will buy a game that plays and controls like one.

That's where I think the problem is, I would hate it if all shooters played the same. There's no type of challenge in that. The whole not being able to run around guns blazing in a game like this makes it even more worth while. It's something that just clicks once you adapt to it's play style.

NaitoSan
03-06-09, 11:13 PM
That's where I think the problem is, I would hate it if all shooters played the same. There's no type of challenge in that. The whole not being able to run around guns blazing in a game like this makes it even more worth while. It's something that just clicks once you adapt to it's play style.
Not to mention it adds some tense in gameplay. Otherwise game would be too easy.

Mr. Hunt
03-07-09, 03:46 AM

Now I know you are lying... the other games didn't control anything like this... in the other ones you could aim forward, down 45 degrees, and up 45 degrees... there was ZERO bits of precise aiming, and if you feel like there are too many enemies on the screen you clearly don't know how to do proper crowd control in these games... if the Ganado (don't know what to call the ones in RE5) are sprinting at you full speed, shoot one in the leg and they will fall on their face.... if they are just casually walking at you, shoot them in the face and then roundhouse kick/punch them in the face to send them flying backwards and knocking other ones down... I am actually replaying 4 at the moment and am having zero problems with it.

Lfctony
03-07-09, 04:37 AM
It's a good game. Not easy but not impossible at the same time. Goooood! :)

NarcissistZero
03-07-09, 08:41 AM
Now I know you are lying...

You sure about that?

I'm not retarded, I know the old games did not control EXACTLY like 4. Only shooting when stopped, no stafing, spinning around in place... that is all the same, and that is the stuff I do not think works for a fast-paced shooter.

People have tried to get me to like RE4 for years now, including myself (I have started the game fresh from the start at least 4 or 5 times, trying to like it). It never worked, and it likely won't work now.

Crow_Nest
03-07-09, 10:26 AM
Im about half way through the game. From what i see so far, its a major RE4 makeover. But at heart, it plays like a totally new game. Controls are mapped exactly like RE4's, with the exception of the inventory menu where things are a little more complicated this time.

Like RE4, this game is challenging. And like all RE games, there are bound to be some portions of the game where you will be starved for ammo and health items. But its something you will often keep track of now because your partner also has her own ammo count and she has a knack for wasting rounds unnecessarily. Atmosphere is disappointing. As you explore the place it DOES indeed feel like RE4, and imo its that kind of silent feeling that makes the game unique. Unfortunately the lack of scares make RE5 seem more like an action themed game rather than survival horror. Didnt capcom promise us RE5 will make players fear the light as much as they fear the dark? Well hell its not working on me! Then again horror games dont scare me much. I've played doom 3, F.E.A.R. 1 and 2, dead space but even the scariest of the lot never scared me to the extent where i have to play in broad daylight with a 9mm by my side.

ralinn
03-07-09, 11:52 AM
You sure about that?

I'm not retarded, I know the old games did not control EXACTLY like 4. Only shooting when stopped, no stafing, spinning around in place... that is all the same, and that is the stuff I do not think works for a fast-paced shooter.

People have tried to get me to like RE4 for years now, including myself (I have started the game fresh from the start at least 4 or 5 times, trying to like it). It never worked, and it likely won't work now.

I get what you're saying but neither Resident Evil 4 or 5 are fast-paced shooters. I respect your opinion but it just doesn't sound like your bag. Resident Evil will NEVER be a fast-paced circle strafing shooter and I hope that never changes. Most people who do not like it just want it to be something it's not trying to be...

NarcissistZero
03-07-09, 01:13 PM
I get what you're saying but neither Resident Evil 4 or 5 are fast-paced shooters. I respect your opinion but it just doesn't sound like your bag. Resident Evil will NEVER be a fast-paced circle strafing shooter and I hope that never changes. Most people who do not like it just want it to be something it's not trying to be...

I don't want it to be a fast paced shooter, I want it to be like Resident Evil used to be. The first two games, and the remake on Gamecube, are some of my favorite games ever.

Unfortunately RE4 is a fast paced shooter, or damn close to it, and it still controls like an adventure game.