PDA

View Full Version : Stormrise, first DX 10 only game

Pages : [1] 2 3

LordJuanlo
03-05-09, 11:56 AM
It has been confirmed (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,677895/Stormrise-first-DX10-only-game-Interview-with-Lead-Designer/News/) by developers, it will work only on DX10 hardware (supports DX 10.1 too).

DX10 has offered a lot of advantages over DX9. First of all, DirectX 10 allowed us to simplify the rendering engine. It matches capabilities of next generation consoles better than DX9, which is important for us considering that Stormrise is a multi-platform title. We had fewer driver-specific compatibility issues with Stormrise compare to our previous games released with DX9.

From day one Stormrise has been designed as a new type of RTS for next generation consoles and PCs. Stormrise has been designed for DirectX 10 and Vista only right from the start. Integrating DX10.1 was an opportunity to increase performance and improve visual quality even further.

We integrated DX10.1 features to give extra performance benefits for players that have compatible hardware. DX10.1 adds a new instruction called Gather, which can gather 4 texture samples at once, at a much lower cost than issuing 4 separate Sample instructions. Consequently we are able to optimize our shadow map technique, and even shoot for higher quality. The Gather instruction will also allow us to optimize our Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) algorithm - again producing a higher image quality.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/250x375/2008/12/stormrise-screenshot-10.jpg http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/250x375/2008/12/Stormrise-Screenshots-05.jpg http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/250x375/2008/12/stormrise-screenshot-09.jpg

This game is from the creators of Total War series and it's "the first strategy game in full 3D", they say.

six_storm
03-05-09, 12:41 PM
DX10!!!!!OMGWTFBBQSAUCELMAOLOLBBQ111111!!!111

:rolleyes:

Ancient76
03-05-09, 01:26 PM
From day one Stormrise has been designed as a new type of RTS for next generation consoles and PCs.

Another console sh*t. How interesting.

dikinher
03-05-09, 01:48 PM
Are you kidding me? I still use Windows XP for a damn reason, I get better performance than on Vista. And to think the consoles are getting this and not PC gamers with Windows XP. Give me a damn break.

MaxFX
03-05-09, 01:59 PM
yeah and it will look the same as the console version he said. idiots DX9 blows away anything the consoles can do. Crysis Warhead e.x!
what a fuc. doucebag this is a joke!

They are just taking the easy way out and think ppl will buy it even it's just a crappy console ****ty port.

Fine by me as a hate RTS anyway but to bad for ppl who like it!

XDanger
03-05-09, 02:08 PM
idiots DX9 blows away anything the consoles can do. Crysis Warhead e.x!
what a fuc. doucebag this is a joke!
:headexplode:

Dreamweavernoob
03-05-09, 02:16 PM
Are you kidding me? I still use Windows XP for a damn reason, I get better performance than on Vista. And to think the consoles are getting this and not PC gamers with Windows XP. Give me a damn break.

*Yawn*

Vista really isnt that bad. You kind of people limit progress. *why farm when we can just hunt animals :rolleyes:*

Vista has a few flaws but meh, I think its better.

ASUSEN7900GTX
03-05-09, 02:18 PM
give me noooooooooooooooow :D

MaxFX
03-05-09, 04:04 PM
Annyway I love Vista and have used Vista 64 bit for ages now. a top OS it is!
But to hear a dev talking rubbish like that is another thing but aleast he was being honest as he said it's much easier for them to go DX10 only :D

dikinher
03-05-09, 05:54 PM
*Yawn*

Vista really isnt that bad. You kind of people limit progress. *why farm when we can just hunt animals :rolleyes:*

Vista has a few flaws but meh, I think its better.

Vista isn't a problem as an operating system, but it isn't better for gaming. I've yet to see any benchmarks favoring Vista over XP. People having problems with 32 and 64 bit support and what not, bugs here and there in games that run on Vista. The bad outweighs the good. Windows XP isn't without its faults either, but much more stable than Vista in gaming.

Sazar
03-05-09, 05:58 PM
Vista isn't a problem as an operating system, but it isn't better for gaming. I've yet to see any benchmarks favoring Vista over XP. People having problems with 32 and 64 bit support and what not, bugs here and there in games that run on Vista. The bad outweighs the good. Windows XP isn't without its faults either, but much more stable than Vista in gaming.

You might need to look at more benchmarks.

There are no issues with 32 bit or 64 bit support either. And if something crashes, you don't get a bsod, you simply close the crashed application and start all over again.

Using da intranets to gather falsehoods doesn't make your case better :)

Now, on the original topic, game sounds interesting, but RTS's are not really my cup of tea :(

dikinher
03-05-09, 06:08 PM
You might need to look at more benchmarks.

There are no issues with 32 bit or 64 bit support either. And if something crashes, you don't get a bsod, you simply close the crashed application and start all over again.

Using da intranets to gather falsehoods doesn't make your case better :)

Now, on the original topic, game sounds interesting, but RTS's are not really my cup of tea :(

I have. In fact, I am looking at benchmarks right now. Vista performs lower than Windows XP when it comes to gaming. Every game forum I go to the majority of people with issues have Windows Vista.

NarcissistZero
03-05-09, 06:17 PM
Vista is a sweet OS and I could never go back to XP. It gets hate for the same reason everything gets hate on the Internet: people like to hate.

Vista is amazingly stable, fast and easy to use.

iron99
03-05-09, 06:28 PM
Vista is amazingly stable, fast and easy to use.

+1, Vista 64Bit with Sp1 is THE best OS I've ever used.

I've hit one year on this Vista install and it's working just like it did day 1.

Sazar
03-05-09, 06:29 PM
I have. In fact, I am looking at benchmarks right now. Vista performs lower than Windows XP when it comes to gaming. Every game forum I go to the majority of people with issues have Windows Vista.

HardOCP and other forums have routinely posted side by side reviews and there are many instances where the Vista systems get the same scores as the XP ones and, in some cases, better due to better multi-proc support.

At the end of the day, the drivers are the main reason there is a difference, not the OS, but still, not a single game I have in my extensive library has suffered a noticeable drop in performance. Not a single one. You'll also notice many hard-core gamers on this site who are using Vista.

Stop drinking the haterade for something you apparently haven't even given a chance. Or, be a lemming and keep on the anti-Vista/DX10 brigade :)

Noriega
03-05-09, 06:30 PM

I've hit one year on this Vista install and it's working just like it did day 1.

So it works still like shi* ^ ^

nekrosoft13
03-05-09, 06:31 PM

that is also something that i noticed, XP used to slow down A LOT! after extended use. Vista doesn't suffer from this issue.

ChAsM
03-05-09, 06:59 PM
Somebody in their marketing department needs their head examined.

JohnDio
03-05-09, 07:12 PM
The point is that we, PC gamers, right now have to choose from A LOT of RTS games. World In Conflict, Dawn Of War2, Men Of War, Empire: Total War, EndWar to name a few and Demigod is just around the corner. By limiting their customers (i've said it and before and i'll say it again. If you gonna USE the damn DX10 then provide visuals that surpass what we've seen in DX9, yeah give us visuals even better than the DX9 mode of Crysis. Then and only then i'll justify a DX10 only title) they are shooting their own legs. Just don't blame piracy when your sales are soooooooo low compared to the other RTS games

Buio
03-05-09, 07:14 PM
Looking forward to this, if they can deliver on the PC product side (i.e. controls and gameplay without gamepad). The game looks somewhat interesting with a sort of FPS/RTS gameplay style. And CA has delivered good games before.

NarcissistZero
03-05-09, 07:45 PM
It's designed as a console RTS first though, another attempt along the same lines as Endwar and Halo Wars to convert console gamers to RTS fans.

I assume it will fail, and then not appeal to PC gamers either because of its roots.

ahheadlock
03-05-09, 07:51 PM
they are definitely going to hurt themselves in terms of sales, but I like the idea that they are trying to make the best use of DX10 without having to limit themselves in terms of backwards compatibility. Be interesting to see how it runs and what it looks like.

and yeah, i like Vista. Would never go back to XP now, I would only install that on something old that doesn't have the grunt to run Vista. That's where XP shines. I have no problems with drivers or games and the general OS runs a LOT better than XP does. So much more stable and smooth. I've never had to re-image a vista machine. Only time i've formatted was to go from 32 to 64.

dikinher
03-05-09, 08:26 PM
It's designed as a console RTS first though, another attempt along the same lines as Endwar and Halo Wars to convert console gamers to RTS fans.

I assume it will fail, and then not appeal to PC gamers either because of its roots.

My question is, does this mean the consoles are going to be utilizing DX10? PS3 uses Open GL while Xbox 360 uses a custom DX api. Technically, if the game can run on the PS3/Xbox 360, there should be no reason why it wouldn't run on Windows XP machines with DX9/DX10 cards.

NarcissistZero
03-05-09, 09:16 PM
My question is, does this mean the consoles are going to be utilizing DX10? PS3 uses Open GL while Xbox 360 uses a custom DX api. Technically, if the game can run on the PS3/Xbox 360, there should be no reason why it wouldn't run on Windows XP machines with DX9/DX10 cards.

The 360 and PS3 do some DX10 effects, as I understand it. One of the reasons some games are releasing without AA options on the PC that had AA on the consoles is because of this, again, as I understand it.

Since it is Creative Assembly I would bet they will use PC hardware quite a bit and make for a beautiful game, but I worry more about the core mechanics due to its console roots.

Buio
03-05-09, 09:20 PM
I wish CA would have made Viking for PC.