PDA

View Full Version : Copying stereo channels with realtek audio?

CaptNKILL
03-09-09, 02:25 AM
I ran into a problem with my HTPC the other day. Its sort of serving the purpose of two different PCs in that I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse set up on a near by desk connected to the HTPC (which is in the entertainment center, hooked up to the TV and floor speakers).

The problem came when I tried to get the PC speakers connected along with the TV. I can't find any way to send analog stereo audio to more than one output. I tried using a mini-jack splitter but that halves the volume which creates all sorts of problems.

There are 5 outputs on the back of my HTPC that are totally unused right now. Is there any kind of software trick I can use to get more than one of them to output the front left\right channels? If the drivers can't do it, are there any programs that can duplicate audio for certain audio channels in Vista?

If this isn't possible is there any cheap external solution that'll allow me to send the same audio to two things without reducing the volume or introducing a ton of noise?

My HTPC's specs are in my sig. The board uses Realtek ALC1200 onboard... which I guess is an Asus-only model. They're all pretty similar though.

CaptNKILL
03-10-09, 10:39 PM
Anyone have any ideas? :o

shilk
03-11-09, 12:51 AM
Are you using the new Realtek drivers? The R18 version came out yesterday, iirc. Assuming those are supported by them, try installing those and use the Stereo Mix output. I had some issues trying to get sound output through them with a single line out/in and that fixed it up for me. It might fix your problem. :)

Also, there are some free ware software that might help as well. Virtual Audio Cable (shareware) might work. The free (trial) version might help boost the signal/passthrough and get it to work. I had to use that after I found out Creative killed "What U Hear" in their new drivers. The trial version of VAC will limit the sound output with an annoying voice saying "Trial" over and over every 5 seconds. But if you do get it to work, then it's easy enough to find, I'm sure.