PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Island...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

K007
03-09-09, 03:53 AM
This game was great. (lee)

I wonder if they have any plans of making the next series in this game...i loved the entire series, 4 was a bit off with its 3d thing, i think the traditional monkey 1-2-3 was the best way to deliver the story in the game...

jolle
03-09-09, 04:18 AM
IŽd love a new one, hopefully after learning something from MI4, controls for that make it really hard to play..
Im acctually trying to play that since last week after beating MI3 again, visually the best of them atleast.

Let them cooldown for a few years between playthroughs, but theyŽre still awesome games.. and there isnt much new in the genre, certainly nothing that comes close to the atmosphere of MI games.

Muppet
03-09-09, 04:56 AM
Agreed. I'd love to see another one in the series. I always enjoy a good adventure game.

crainger
03-09-09, 05:22 AM
I think we'll see a new one once the IP is released. Unlike Sam and Max, which was owned by the comic artist. Lucas Arts owns the IP for MI and I doubt they'll do anything with it.

jolle
03-09-09, 05:27 AM
One wierd decision about MI4 is that there are seemingly pointless "travel screens", cameras where you dont acctually do anything, but are there to tie your movements over from one screen to another (like the wierd semi top down one between the mansion and the town in the begining).
also, being very old in terms of 3d games, it doesnt look very good, even the rendered backdrops are somewhat lacking in detail.

And the controls, again, arenŽt very useful.
IŽd prefer the classic point and click controls. and the old way the screens were setup, over the new multiple camers at wierd angles to cover a room.. I guess grim also used that, but IMO its just a hassle..

jAkUp
03-09-09, 09:56 AM
Deathspank is the next game from the Monkey Island creator.

SH64
03-09-09, 01:56 PM
Hi my name is Guybrush Threepwood and I wanna be a pirate! (lee)

Lfctony
03-09-09, 02:01 PM
If they make a new one it will probably be console-only. The PC doesn't have the hardware to "realise" their vision... :headexplode:

crainger
03-09-09, 02:10 PM
One wierd decision about MI4 is that there are seemingly pointless "travel screens", cameras where you dont acctually do anything, but are there to tie your movements over from one screen to another (like the wierd semi top down one between the mansion and the town in the begining).
also, being very old in terms of 3d games, it doesnt look very good, even the rendered backdrops are somewhat lacking in detail.

And the controls, again, arenŽt very useful.
IŽd prefer the classic point and click controls. and the old way the screens were setup, over the new multiple camers at wierd angles to cover a room.. I guess grim also used that, but IMO its just a hassle..

The travel screens are from using the GRIMM engine I think. Grim Fandango had those in-between screens too, I think it's either so show of the art style or they were in fact masked loading screens. MI4 did quite do them as well as the art wasn't that great, but I loved it anyway.

jolle
03-09-09, 02:48 PM
The travel screens are from using the GRIMM engine I think. Grim Fandango had those in-between screens too, I think it's either so show of the art style or they were in fact masked loading screens. MI4 did quite do them as well as the art wasn't that great, but I loved it anyway.
I think its just to tie together the areas really, as its in (rendered) 3d and have all these camera angles.
the old 2d stuff had that sort of stuff too in a sense, but generally just scrolling with the character at places.
Like when you go down to the town and past the scumm bar in the first one for example.
but it felt more natural like that IMO.

Anyway, I felt both MI4 and Grim to be a hassle to play, great games as they are.
and while the MI1-3 point and click style works so well, it feels like a change for the sake of changing.
Sam and Max 2 went back to it, while also in 3d, and that works a treat.
Though the detail conveyed in such low res 3d doesnt really come close to the atmosphere of the classic 2d adventure games of that era, MI, Simon, BASS, Discworld, Dig, DOTT, Indiana jones etc.

Well, those are my 5 cents.

crainger
03-09-09, 02:55 PM
Yeah 2D easily has the edge. Especially the hand painted back drops from MI2. Still Grim I consider to be the best Adventure game LA produced. Grim and The Dig, both sold poor, but both were brilliant games.

Phyxion
03-09-09, 03:06 PM
This game was great. (lee)

I wonder if they have any plans of making the next series in this game...i loved the entire series, 4 was a bit off with its 3d thing, i think the traditional monkey 1-2-3 was the best way to deliver the story in the game...
Ceville (Google it) is a bit monkey island style.

crainger
03-09-09, 04:08 PM
Downloading demo now!

Zeus666
03-09-09, 05:03 PM
monkey island on a 286
the best game ever!!!

imagination is the secret!!!!

Phyxion
03-10-09, 01:21 AM
Downloading demo now!
I bought the retail a week ago, and I love the game:D

Capt. Picard
03-10-09, 01:32 AM
I would like Monkey Island running on the Cryengine.

K007
03-10-09, 03:42 AM
DeathSpank is an allegedly upcoming episodic Adventure Game by Game Designer Ron Gilbert. It has been in development since 2004; it was announced on January 9th 2008 that Hothead Games would publish the game.[1] The game has been described as "Monkey Island meets Diablo" and will allegedly be released in episodic format.[2] The first episode would supposedly be called "Orphans of Justice". No release date has been given by either Gilbert or Hothead Games, but a piece of artwork released indicates the game is "Coming soonish."[3] As of September 16th, 2008, the website says "Soonerish". Three teaser trailers of DeathSpank have been shown at Penny Arcade Expo 2008, still lacking however any gameplay scene.

episodic.

Don't forget Full throttle :). Lucasarts is more focused on star wars and console only games now..

i am gonna fire up mi3 again, i think mi3 really nailed the graphics/story, mi4 the 3d thing was really...not what monkey island was about..still played it and finished the story with "i wanna be a pirate" =)

alitayyab
06-01-09, 01:10 PM
Episodic Monkey island coming! official *woohoo*

...and coming real soon as well *woohoo* x2

LucasArts announced its plans to return to Monkey Island, the publisher's once popular P&C adventure series, with two new releases. The first is Tales of Monkey Island, a game that's going to be divided into 5 whole episodes, developed (we've seen this coming) by Telltale Games. The episodes will evidently be released "in just a few short weeks" for the PC and WiiWare.

Zeus666
06-01-09, 02:33 PM
video:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_11134_en.html

this is about special edition, looks cool :)

crainger
06-01-09, 03:21 PM
episodic.

Don't forget Full throttle :). Lucasarts is more focused on star wars and console only games now..

i am gonna fire up mi3 again, i think mi3 really nailed the graphics/story, mi4 the 3d thing was really...not what monkey island was about..still played it and finished the story with "i wanna be a pirate" =)

I'm playing CMI right now on my HTPC on teh big screen.

SH64
06-01-09, 06:39 PM
Woohoo awesome news!! i'm getting the special edition fo sho!
its a bummer the episodic will be in 3D though .. :o

CaptNKILL
06-01-09, 10:30 PM
The only bad thing about this is that Telltale recently said that they want to change the point and click style of their games to something more "controller friendly" so they can easily make console versions.

So, if they screw up Sam and Max, Monkey Island will most likely suffer the same fate. :o

I'm hoping for the best though. As a fan of point and click adventure games, "consolizing" a classic series doesn't really get any worse than replacing the "point and click" part with whatever a gamepad is capable of.

NarcissistZero
06-02-09, 02:00 AM
Well it's PC and Wii, which indicates to me it will be point and click... maybe a 360 version is planned though, but couldn't be released as quickly.

I find Telltale games to be boring and not at all as funny or enjoyable as the Lucasarts classics though, so I doubt I care either way.

I love that they're remastering the original game though... I will buy that in a second.

K007
06-02-09, 03:05 AM
I wish they did it more like 3 and not like 4. I was not a fan of the 3d thing, i will still get the game tho..

CaptNKILL
06-02-09, 03:31 AM
I find Telltale games to be boring and not at all as funny or enjoyable as the Lucasarts classics though, so I doubt I care either way.

Yeah, Telltale's Sam & Max games are alright but nowhere near as interesting or memorable as the Lucas Arts games. I really like the Sam and Max characters and all, but the new games seem a bit light on puzzle solving and heavy on dry jokes. They'd probably entertain me more if they were a bit edgier, like the old comics. When Max goes crazy in the game, there is a bonking sound and someone falls over. When he went crazy in the comics, someone would be set on fire, shot or eaten alive. :p

I played all of Season 1 but I haven't gotten Season 2 yet. I have over a dozen brand new games laying here waiting to be played, and nowhere near enough time to play them. :p