PDA

View Full Version : btw, should 0x or 1x AF be the default setting in the 40.41 drivers

JamesDax
08-30-02, 08:28 AM
just wondering.

Uttar
08-30-02, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by JamesDax
just wondering.

I'm personally VERY unhappy of nVidia D3D Aniso options!

First, the default is 0x. And that's ridiculous - it SHOULD be 1x because 0x is from pre-Voodoo days.

Second, there's no way to let the application determine it. That's very annoying for 2D in 3D games using 2D sprites ( working on one right now, and icky, is it ugly with 1x! It *needs* 0x )

Uttar

nin_fragile14
08-30-02, 09:38 AM
In most 3dgames, use 1x. 0x looks like garbage, and was just a lame technique used by nvidia to raise 3dmark scores. Or you can just switch back to the 30.82 drivers and not worry about that stuff.

PreservedSwine
08-30-02, 10:18 AM
Oh my Goodness, these drivers are lame!

A setting of "0" and the card does NO tri-linear, or even bi-linear filtering- at all..none..zip,...zero...nada.. It reverts back to old Point Sampling....A huge step backwards.

And what are the benefits of Point Sampling?

You can get Lower Image Quality, while decreasing your framerates in games, all to acheive higher synthetic benchmark scores. What a joke

Ironically, Nvidia is the 1st to take a step backwards in technology. They should be ashamed trying to pass this sh*t off

Check out this link- it's awsome ( althogh in German) it has graphs, and a very cool picture to illustrate the changes, jsut scroll down and "mouse" overe it...

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2002/08-30.php

jsg2021
08-30-02, 11:22 AM
hmm, you know... 0x doesn't look all that bad when pared with QCAA and Texture sharpening.

Uttar
08-30-02, 01:50 PM
That's because "texture sharpening" simply changes that setting that puts that at a higher value. Most likely 1 :P

And, PreservedSwine, please, let's not go TOO far.
This is simply a BUG. I'd personally think that nVidia goal was to make "0x" equivalent to "Determined by application" .
After all, logically, the application default is the performance-quality option that the programmers who MADE the game found best.

Probably a bug, keep in mind this is a BETA.

Uttar

JamesDax
08-30-02, 01:54 PM
I have to agree. Morrowind with QCAA, texture sharpening, and 0x AF looks pretty damn good. And runs smooth to.

Uttar
08-30-02, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by JamesDax
I have to agree. Morrowind with QCAA, texture sharpening, and 0x AF looks pretty damn good. And runs smooth to.

As i said, that's because 0x AF + texture sharpening *is* 1x AF. So it's like if you enabled 1x AF!

Uttar

jsg2021
08-30-02, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Uttar

As i said, that's because 0x AF + texture sharpening *is* 1x AF. So it's like if you enabled 1x AF!

Uttar

I don't think so, i just ran some test and 0x AF + texture sharpening is faster than 1x AF... and, they look a little different. Texture sharpening doesn't necessarily mean Anisotropic flittering.

:)

Nv40
08-30-02, 06:14 PM
i think it will be better for Nvidia than they remove the
0x settings from their tab ,a "bad" choice,and give one more setting
10x or 12x .. ,it will not be smooth at all ,but i would really
like to play with this settings at least the gamer will have
the oportunity to play with some settings to get higher IQ ,
more good choices is always better ... :D

Polyphemus
08-30-02, 09:31 PM
I'm a utter, complete noob. So all the flashing textures in games is caused by this bug?

Thanks in advance,

Gargr
08-30-02, 09:45 PM
why is it called "Texture Anisotropic Setting

0x = Point Sampling
1x = Bilinear/Trilinear app pref.
2x 4x 8x = Aniso filtering

they should make it "AF Setting - off _ _ 2x _ _ 4x _ _ 8x"

jsg2021
08-31-02, 04:12 AM
0x is suppose to be "Application Controlled", the ugly point-sample-like filtering is a bug!

if you want to test it... you can reset the slider to the true 0x value by opening regedit and deleteing this key:

"D3d_74095213"

under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{some 128bit GUID number}\0000

you only need to modify values under the CurrentControlSet... ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 are backups.