PDA

View Full Version : Crytek Announces CryENGINE 3

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
03-11-09, 02:49 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/45388/Crytek-Announces-CryENGINE-3

Dreamweavernoob
03-11-09, 02:57 PM
Hmm, they seem to be highly influenced by consoles....

Hopefully it will be truly scalable. (eg they make top then click "compress or whatever" :lol: and it goes back to crappy quality

methimpikehoses
03-11-09, 03:21 PM
cryengine FTW

Section-9
03-11-09, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the link. :)

Feyy
03-11-09, 03:47 PM
The cryengine makes me cry

SH64
03-11-09, 03:56 PM
cryengine FTW
Indeed :cool:

JohnDio
03-11-09, 04:22 PM
Seeley from Crytek said in the past that the CryEngine2 console version was almost as good as the "high" settings of the CryEngine2 for the PCs.

I don't want to draw early conclusions, but it seems that Crytek decided to not push the limits this time. Frankly speaking, i don't think that CryEngine3 will be able to match the Modded screenies of Crysis. I'd love to be proven wrong but i can't see possible a multiplatform engine (with the limitations of this gen consoles) surpassing Crysis (especially after the statements that the consoles could run CryEngine2 at almost "high" settings)

At least it will be good for them as the engine might attract more devs now that it is multiplatform

NarcissistZero
03-11-09, 04:54 PM
We'll have to see what they have planned... an engine made to run on a 360, plus the next Xbox, plus be scalable on a PC, is a LOT to ask... Unreal Engine 3 made millions this gen by being made exactly to fit the needs of current consoles, and still be easy to port to the PC. Crytek going for lofty goals might hurt them in the end.

If I were them I would put Free Radical in charge of porting Crysis to the current consoles in some form for a money boost and spend the rest of my resources on building an engine specifically designed for the PS4/Xbox 3 and PC.

NaitoSan
03-11-09, 05:37 PM
wow can't wait. i'm glad to see cryengine 3 is possible for 360 and ps3, not just pc. i'm sick of developers abusing UE3 so much that almost all games looks/feels the same.

theox2g6
03-11-09, 06:27 PM
We'll have to see what they have planned... an engine made to run on a 360, plus the next Xbox, plus be scalable on a PC, is a LOT to ask... Unreal Engine 3 made millions this gen by being made exactly to fit the needs of current consoles, and still be easy to port to the PC. Crytek going for lofty goals might hurt them in the end.

If I were them I would put Free Radical in charge of porting Crysis to the current consoles in some form for a money boost and spend the rest of my resources on building an engine specifically designed for the PS4/Xbox 3 and PC.Crysis doesn't have to be ported, it sold more than 2 million copies, and that's pure revenue without heavy royalties and licensing paid to Sony or Microsoft, It clearly generated a lot of profit for them, It's apparent since they had spare change to bail out Free Radical, Sure they made some money from selling a couple of Cryengine 2 licenses but the Crysis franchise brought in the most revenue, How well do you think console gamers will receive a 2+ year old pc game that is now old news and will be vastly inferior to the pc version? And on top of that, the budget would balloon once it becomes a console project

Porting Crysis to consoles would be too much of a hassle, it would unneeded, Crysis is at heart pc game at its foundation, It was built to utilize the RAM advantage pcs have over consoles, They'd have to restructure the whole game to the point where it wouldn't be Crysis anymore but a mere spinoff, So they might as well just go ahead and make a seperate franchise rather than pushing out a vastly inferior downgraded port of a 2007 game in such recent times when newer games like Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 are coming out

I quote Cevat Yerli's statement on the subject
Yerli: What I said was that Crysis could run on consoles. I ruled out any development whatsoever because there is no development on consoles. But what’s happening is, is people are asking me if it’s possible. Of course. You can get Crysis even on the Nintendo DS. But not that Crysis - you cannot get Crysis as it is on PC on any console. What you would have to do is compromise the design and the level design – in order of the PS3 and Xbox 360 regards you have to fulfill the memory constraints. Even if you stream you would have to consider the constraints. You could stream, you could do that, we know that. I tell them, “we’re already streaming on PC.” If you sum up all the memory we need with all the streaming in the background you’re talking about 10 gigs or something. You’d load everything up front. So from that angle, the consoles just offer a memory difference which is the most important statement here – the memory difference in the PS3 and Xbox 360 doesn’t allow Crysis – the same on console as it is on PC

MaxFX
03-11-09, 06:38 PM
Great :)

MaxFX
03-11-09, 06:45 PM
Crysis doesn't have to be ported, it sold more than 2 million copies, and that's pure revenue without heavy royalties and licensing paid to Sony or Microsoft, It clearly generated a lot of profit for them, It's apparent since they had spare change to bail out Free Radical, Sure they made some money from selling a couple of Cryengine 2 licenses but the Crysis franchise brought in the most revenue, How well do you think console gamers will receive a 2+ year old pc game that is now old news and will be vastly inferior to the pc version? And on top of that, the budget would balloon once it becomes a console project

Porting Crysis to consoles would be too much of a hassle, it would unneeded, Crysis is at heart pc game at its foundation, It was built to utilize the RAM advantage pcs have over consoles, They'd have to restructure the whole game to the point where it wouldn't be Crysis anymore but a mere spinoff, So they might as well just go ahead and make a seperate franchise rather than pushing out a vastly inferior downgraded port of a 2007 game in such recent times when newer games like Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 are coming out

I quote Cevat Yerli's statement on the subject

Well said and one just have to take a look at FarCry when it hit Xbo360 it was allready a few years old Pc Game and it's just that, it looked like crap on the 360 so why then even think about porting Crysis. as they said it could very well run on the wii to but how would it look and play :D

Buio
03-11-09, 07:00 PM
With that time frame it looks like the are aiming for an engine to sell for next-gen consoles.

Destroy
03-11-09, 07:23 PM
Like Epic, say goodbye to another quality PC developer.

Then get ready to say hello to a CryEngine2 revamped and scaled way back to do less in order to run at the lowest common denominator while calling it CryEngine3.

Soetdjuret
03-11-09, 07:45 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOHO!!!! This is great news... Can't wait to spam the "Screenshot Thread 2012" with cryengine 3 pics! Is gonna be epic, kids are going to cry over bad performance and bad optimized engine/game all over again! What lovelyness!

jeffmd
03-11-09, 11:12 PM
Epics PC ports have been pretty steller no? that is NOT including ut3 games made by other developers.

Multi platform is where the money is... they would be stupid not to make a multi platform engine. And frankly today, I would LOVE to see PC churn out as many good looking games as just ONE of the console systems. PC's track record has allways been 1 good looking game to 20 crappy 8-bit looking games. I mean atleast bad console games still look good.

jkmetal
03-11-09, 11:41 PM
The cryengine makes me cry

Cryengine makes my computer cry. :thumbdwn:

Retrolock
03-12-09, 02:49 AM
My expectations dropped significantly upon hearing the engine would cater for the konsole kiddies.

It's all about the money especially during these trying times.

But Crytek should not abandon PC gaming altogether and just be satisfied with console to PC ports.

Cryengine 3 should have a special PC mode: Cryengine 3: Maximum Power

K007
03-12-09, 02:57 AM
i didn't notice any mention of the word PC in the article...could it just be cryengine2 modified for the consoles only?

H3avyM3tal
03-12-09, 03:53 AM
So they don't care about making games after farcay (good games), and are becoming an engine making company. Good for them, now lets see some good games.

Noriega
03-12-09, 04:16 AM
consoles? GTFO :lol:

MaxFX
03-12-09, 06:08 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOHO!!!! This is great news... Can't wait to spam the "Screenshot Thread 2012" with cryengine 3 pics! Is gonna be epic, kids are going to cry over bad performance and bad optimized engine/game all over again! What lovelyness!

Amen to that brother, cant wait for it :D

LordJuanlo
03-12-09, 07:59 AM
Today's market works this way: multiplatform, or no PC version at all. And being honest, the quality of console to PC ports is much higher today than just a couple of years ago. There are exceptions of course, but in general I don't think we have much to complain about.

Console hits like Grid, Mirror's Edge, Devil May Cry, Dead Space or Burnout (just to name a few) have superb PC versions. And usually bad ports come from already bad console games (Saints Row 2 comes to mind).

BioHazZarD
03-12-09, 08:29 AM
So no more games on cryengine 2 or what?

nemecb
03-12-09, 10:15 AM
So in other words they scaled CE2 back for consoles, included the tools work that they were probably already doing, and then called it CE3? Crytek needs to fire their marketing department.:p