PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind thread

Pages : [1] 2

Kruno
07-27-02, 10:32 PM
I just ran it now with max aniso and -3.0 LOD and 8x aniso and it runs perfect in towns at 1152x864. No slowdown. As soon as you enable AA it kills the framerate lolz to unplayable levels in towns.
I'll stick to high res and sharpest quality with NO AA for now. :)
I will update my homepage with pics (doing it now as I type). Framerate never once diped below 35fps with my current settings which actually is amazing. This game runs damn good. Also I have my viewing range half way.

Just updated my site with a pic. :D

druga runda
07-28-02, 01:23 AM
It surely deserves another thread.

But you are running at what 2.7ghz?

My poor XP 1500+ always keeps over 20 FPS in towns with view at ~1/3 But hey, it is still bearable for a great game.

And why don't you run at 1600x1200, not much of a difference to me. 1-2 FPS. Even though i went down to 1024x768 as I am normally around 26, 27 fps so those 1-2 mean something to me. But 1600x1200 looks much better.

GFti200 220/500
256mb ram

Kruno
07-28-02, 01:45 AM
Err Dude! I am running roughly around 1.8gig. You know 1 way of ganing framrate is to close of al things in bg like explorer and other services in XP and overclock your video card to extremes. Unless it is going 20fps on my system but feels like it's moving at 30fps+.

DIMA
07-28-02, 07:59 AM
The game is really a system hog!!!! :mad:

:)

Kruno
07-28-02, 08:33 AM
Hence my tweak works brilliantly. I made a post before the NvNews cataclysm about how to maximise performance through leaving the most minimum things running. I'm pretty sure not many if anyone had followed my advice. People wonder how I get better frame rate then them when their system is above mine is pretty obvious. Tweak the living crip out of your system. Also enable quadratic lighting in the Morrowind ini file.

Best tweak sites:

www.tweak3d.net
www.3dspotlight.com
www.majorgeeks.com

vampireuk
07-28-02, 08:48 AM
The background on your site is pretty cool:cool:

Kruno
07-28-02, 08:58 AM
:eek:
You seen my site. YAY! People look at my site. :cool: thanks :)

Starscream
07-28-02, 11:27 AM
I played morrow wind a little yesterday but didn't get into that much. Maybe because it seems to be running a little slow on my video card (voltage modded Kyro 2 running at 190mhz). Is there a way to show the fps in game?

edit - about 5 seconds after I posted this I saw the showfps line in the morrowind ini file. heh.

PCarr78
07-28-02, 11:30 AM
KILER, can you post a pic of MW running at those settings?

prydah
07-28-02, 12:35 PM
with the new (well not-so-new) first official patch, morrowind runs great

and that was patched and tested before i upgraded to my ti 4200.

but with the ti 4200, i finally got to see the water and water reflections correctly and its awesome!

PCarr78
07-28-02, 12:54 PM
prydah what's ur comp?

prydah
07-28-02, 02:17 PM
cpu: duron 1.2ghz
mobo: a7v
ram: 512mb
gpu: siluro ti4200
gpu drivers: 28.32
sound: sblive value
directx: 8.1b

morrowind version: 1.1.0605
settings: high-quality (everthing i can think of maxed within the .ini and in-game settings menus)

morrowind is much more playable now since the official patch even before i upgraded my graphics card.

i wanna try all the new mods they got out for the game now like the jedi mod and the beast of burden mod where u can have all your loot lugged around by that one semi-domestic beast (forgot its name already lol!) like in dungeon siege u can buy a pack mule to carry your extra things

PCarr78
07-28-02, 03:11 PM
What's the perf like on that setup?

Kruno
07-28-02, 05:15 PM
CD check out my website :)

DaveW
07-28-02, 06:21 PM
Morrowind runs as fast in 1024x768 / Quincunx as it does in 800x600 / no FSAA on my system. I have a P3 800 / Gf4 ti4200. It is definately CPU limited for me. It runs ok, but frame rate dies when I enable shadows.... this is scary, because if my PC can't handle realtime shadows on a few characters, it doesn't stand a chance at running Doom 3 where the whole scene generates realtime shadows.

BTW, the pixel shaded water effect is cool, but it doesn't always accurately reflect the scenery around it.

gravioli
07-28-02, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
It runs ok, but frame rate dies when I enable shadows.... this is scary, because if my PC can't handle realtime shadows on a few characters, it doesn't stand a chance at running Doom 3 where the whole scene generates realtime shadows.

Doesn't Neverwinter Nights generate realtime shadows for every object on the screen? It uses OpenGL and runs darn smooth with shadows enabled compared to Morrowind, so maybe the shadows in Doom 3 won't totally destroy your rig.

Kruno
07-28-02, 11:08 PM
How many lights are used in MW, NWN and Doom 3? Remember JC optimises his games for best performance as well. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if D3's shadows take less of a hit than NWN or MW. I don't play with Shadows enabled in MW. Also the amount of objects casting a shadow will also vary so hence will the performance.

PCarr78
07-29-02, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
How many lights are used in MW, NWN and Doom 3? Remember JC optimises his games for best performance as well. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if D3's shadows take less of a hit than NWN or MW. I don't play with Shadows enabled in MW. Also the amount of objects casting a shadow will also vary so hence will the performance.

Doesnt D3 only support one lightsource?

Kruno
07-29-02, 08:09 AM
If so then it would obviously take less of a hit lolz. I really think it would support around 4.

The Baron
07-30-02, 02:05 PM
The game's cool... but it's too easy. WAY too easy.

I'm only level 36 or 37 or so and nothing can come close to killing me.

Oh well. :P

Kruno
07-31-02, 03:39 AM
Wheres your difficulty slider set to? :)

koslov
07-31-02, 03:03 PM
My main complaint is that there is nothing to do after you beat Dagoth Ur. Sure, there are plenty of quests left, but they are all very simple and dull. Also, just getting to Dagoth Ur was very simple... I bet I had only explored a quarter of the map. I think if you play the game very well, then beating it is way too easy... there should be an automatic difficulty adjuster. I think I was around level 15 when I beat the game. Also, enchanting makes weaps way too strong. With enchanting, I was able to create a "flying" ring and a "walk-on-water" ring. I guess that made it a little too easy for me, since I could fly all the way up Red Mountain. But it was still kinda neat hovering over the heads of the enemies and seeing all the architecture from above.

That's what I think I loved the most... the architecture. It was so varied and imaginative that I just fell in love with it.

I think when I forget the storyline enough, I'll start a new character and try to play through it again, maybe with some of the mods. Are there any good mods out recently besides the pack guar mod?

Kruno
08-01-02, 04:03 AM
There are millions just look aorund :)

druga runda
08-01-02, 08:47 AM
Err Dude! I am running roughly around 1.8gig. You know 1 way of ganing framrate is to close of al things in bg like explorer and other services in XP and overclock your video card to extremes. Unless it is going 20fps on my system but feels like it's moving at 30fps+.

Naah, my card -GF3 ti 200 is OC'd to 220/500 and most of the things are shut -ok zonealarm is not. But hey.

I think that quadratic lightning and lack of shadows improve the performance for you.

What is quadratic lightning like?

You said ur having 35 FPS + all the time... and that is impressive for P4 1.8 I'd think.

Mine is usually around 25-27 in towns, sometimes dips to 20-21, and outside the towns 30-40. Still no problems but I have to keep the view slider at @ 1/3 in the towns - sometimes outside I slilde it all way trough to enjoy the view but I have to change it when I arrive to the cities.

edit: I took a look at your website :eek: here from work, but I can't see much (perhaps because I don't have digital vibrance option here) but can you post some downsized image in a city during the day, for us to see that quadratic lightning effect (while wea re at work and can't play with the settings :( )

- and yes - for those who say it is too easy - go for next charachter who doesn't use magic - or is really bad at it, and try again at most difficult setting. I hope it should be fun again espec as you have not done many minor quests most likely at the first try.

PacNW CE
08-15-02, 10:13 PM
CD check out my website :)

Damn that is pretty. I is gonna have to set me self up like that! :D

I have only one complaint about Morrowind, that being I felt the need to purchace a Ti4400 to make it playable. :p

I hope I graduate this year, because I should still be playing this as June rolls around. :p