PDA

View Full Version : Switch boards but leave windows intact?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
03-13-09, 09:35 PM
anyone succesfully changed motherboards and left windows intact?

nekrosoft13
03-13-09, 09:43 PM
anyone tried this with vista?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Upgrade an existing motherboard
This scenario assumes that your existing motherboard works and that you can start the existing Windows installation on the hard disk.

To replace a working motherboard with an updated motherboard and to then reconfigure Windows to work with the new motherboard, follow these steps:
Start Windows, and then log on as an administrator.
Insert your Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive, and then let Autorun start.
Do one of the following:
For Windows Server 2003:
Click Install Windows Server 2003.
In the Windows Setup window, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type list, and then click Next.
Follow the instructions on the screen until the computer begins to restart.
For Windows XP:
Click Install Windows XP.
In the Windows Setup window, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type list, and then click Next.
For Windows 2000:
Click Install Windows 2000.
In the Windows 2000 Setup window, click Upgrade to Windows 2000 (Recommended), and then click Next.
Just as the computer begins to restart, turn off the computer.
Replace the existing motherboard with the new motherboard.
Turn on the computer, and then allow the upgrade to continue.

Setup installs the HAL, the IDE controller drivers, and any other drivers that the new motherboard must have.
After the upgrade is completed, reinstall any service packs or hotfixes that you had previously installed.

nekrosoft13
03-13-09, 10:29 PM
very helpful, any tips if brand and chipset are different?

Bman212121
03-13-09, 11:20 PM
very helpful, any tips if brand and chipset are different?

Yup, uninstall the chipset drivers and the IDE controller drivers. Make sure to install any new storage drivers and chipset drivers as well. Turn the pc off without rebooting it. Move the drive to the new pc. Boot it up and it should revert back to generic hardware until it can load the new drivers. Sometimes it works great, other times it does not.

nekrosoft13
03-13-09, 11:30 PM
no one tried the MS method from post 2?

crainger
03-14-09, 12:14 AM
Acronis True Image with Universal Restore works like a charm. It basically does what MS says, just automated.

nekrosoft13
03-14-09, 12:25 AM
Acronis True Image with Universal Restore works like a charm. It basically does what MS says, just automated.

hmm, have you done that yourself?

edit, reading up about it

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/universal-restore.html

sounds like i have to create entire computer backup, for it to work

methimpikehoses
03-14-09, 12:28 AM
I just switched out my p35 for the x58. No trouble so far.

nekrosoft13
03-14-09, 12:44 AM
both intel boards, going from nvidia to intel will be a bit more challenging.

nekrosoft13
03-14-09, 12:55 AM
hmm, have you done that yourself?

edit, reading up about it

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/universal-restore.html

sounds like i have to create entire computer backup, for it to work

just wanted to add to it

if you done this before,

Preparation
Step 1:Install the Acronis® Universal Restore option. Please note that Acronis® True Image Echo must be licensed and installed for Acronis® True Image Universal Restore to function.
Step 2:Create bootable media with the Universal Restore option selected.

You can restore an image to a new system in 5 easy steps.

Step 1:Boot your replacement system with the bootable media you created and select recovery in the Acronis® True Image menu
Step 2:Select the image to restore and the Acronis® Universal Restore option
Step 3:Acronis® Universal Restore initiates the restore process

in preparation part it doesn't mention that you need to have image of the drive first, so do you have to have image of entire computer or c drive?

crainger
03-14-09, 01:16 AM
Yeah. you need to take an image. So that might be a problem if you have a huge amount to backup. Though the compression is usually pretty good.

nekrosoft13
03-14-09, 01:27 AM
Yeah. you need to take an image. So that might be a problem if you have a huge amount to backup. Though the compression is usually pretty good.

do you have to backup all partitions? or just c drive?

trivium nate
03-14-09, 02:05 AM
damnit i got my enw mobo n my new cpu is on its way i guess i have to reinstall windows? ill read this thread alter when i have more time its 3:04am...

crainger
03-14-09, 02:38 AM
Yeah. Lets post and tell us your intention to read this thread.

trivium nate
03-14-09, 03:11 AM
lol

crainger
03-14-09, 03:14 AM
Not funny Mitsubishi boy.

Tr1cK
03-14-09, 10:56 AM
The key is in thoroughly removing any chipset drivers if going from one brand to another especially. Intel to Intel is OK. Intel to Nvidia chipset will cause a crash and you definitely need to clean all the NV drivers out and then perform the swap.

I've done this a hundred times. I used to keep my OS on a PCI RAID card for this very reason. It went through about 6 systems all with different chipsets (NV, Intel, Via) before I quit using it.

mullet
03-14-09, 11:24 AM
Format.

or this?

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2006/12/05/hardware-profiles-in-vista/

Windows XP allows you to create multiple hardware profiles. When you start working in Vista, you may notice that this option is no longer available. It appears that Vista will automatically create hardware profiles depending on the type of computer you are using. For example, if you are using a laptop, Vista will automatically create a profile called “Undocked.”

You can still work with these hardware profiles as you could in Windows XP. For example, you can disable specific services for a specific hardware profile. This can be accomplished using the steps listed below.

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories then Administrative Tools.
2. Click the Services option.
3. Right click a service that you want to disable and click Properties.
4. Click the Log On tab.
5. The available hardware profiles will be listed at the bottom of the window.
6. Select the appropriate profile from the list and click the Disable button.
7. Click OK.

Now when Vista starts using the hardware profile, the specific service you selected above will not be started.

trivium nate
03-15-09, 08:29 PM
i really don't feel like reinstalling vista n all my crap :'( when i get my cpu tomorrow n put it in my new board

nekrosoft13
03-15-09, 09:19 PM
some good news, i called my friend (regional IT manager) from my previous job, they have this Acronis True Image with universal restore software.

I can use it!, just need to drive about 40 minutes to regional office.

so will give it a go, hope it works, don't feel like reinstalling.

Mr Bigman
03-15-09, 10:27 PM
Done this mahny of times too.

Make sure your ide filter drivers are set to stanard ide or sata controller before changing boards than change it to your desired chipset maker.

Like via chipsets and intel chipsets, now with raid its different you have to match up the controller wtih new ones.

I did this going from nforce 4 to 5 same raid controller with the 99.9 raid drivers from unknown user who fixed the nvidia drivers.

Safe mode should be used with this too folks.

HAL is an issue aswhell but most of us use 2 or 4 or even 8 cores but ACPI multi is the norm now.

Vista might be issues but who knows it might work though.

I went from an x38 to x58 fine with vista 64 oem but had to reactivate os which was a breeze anyway.

Good luck doing this cuz its hit and miss sometimes.

nekrosoft13
03-17-09, 01:03 AM
will see how things will go

i have done two back-ups, one pre-removal of system drivers, one after removal of system drivers.

trivium nate
03-17-09, 06:05 AM
I said to heck with it and just formatted my harddrive and now i have to spend forever reinstalling everything and all the windows updates

nekrosoft13
03-17-09, 04:36 PM
hey it worked !
kempt my OS, no reinstall.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-17-09, 09:04 PM
I've went from mobo to mobo and didnt have much trouble.

Any drivers I had installed, I removed and took out any previously installed drivers and old instances of hardware installations in device manager. You have to set the environment variable DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES first in system properties though.