PDA

View Full Version : How can I unpartition my Harddrive?

Albo
03-14-09, 11:31 AM
Well I decided to partition my 160 hard drive for 25GB for Xp and the rest for Vista Ultimate. I installed Vista Ultimate but after a long search I couldn't find my XP installation disc anywhere, so I thought whatever. (So I have 25GB free that I want to Combine with Vista) Now when I try and go to Manage comput. Disk Managment, I try to combine them but Its not possible, how can I do this. I'm running out of space.
Is there any way I can do this without having to do a full system reinstall?
That would be the biggest pain the arse ever.

Zapablast05
03-14-09, 11:42 AM
I have the same question with my laptop. The drive is partitioned in half for the OS and th other half for backup. I hope someone knows how to do this.

grey_1
03-14-09, 12:01 PM
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

back up your data before using, obviously.

EDIT: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

Albo
03-14-09, 01:46 PM
Is that the only way, it sounds risky :/
I really don't want to lose all my files

mojoman0
03-14-09, 02:53 PM
its risky no matter what you are doing when playing with live partitions. Partition Magic works as well.

saturnotaku
03-14-09, 03:45 PM
Is that the only way, it sounds risky :/
I really don't want to lose all my files

Then invest in a spindle of DVDs and spend some time backing them up. If something you should happen to go wrong, you'll be covered.

Albo
03-15-09, 08:51 AM
Then invest in a spindle of DVDs and spend some time backing them up. If something you should happen to go wrong, you'll be covered.

yea, thats what I did last time
bought 200 of them

Tr1cK
03-15-09, 09:00 AM
Just buy a new drive. They are so cheap right now.

UberRN69
03-15-09, 02:22 PM
Is Vista on your first partition or second? If Vista is on the first, you can just delete the XP partion and expand the primary partion to take the full space of the drive using Computer management in administrative tools. and then edit the boot.cfg file remove the XP boot option.

If XP is on the first partion, then this is you boot partion, and cannot be altered (short of the complicated outline as posted above). Backing everything up to DVD takes forever.

It would almost be as easier (at least by my standards) to reinstall Vista, and just make the drive one partition durning the Vista setup.