PDA

View Full Version : How to play online games with 2 people (from same house)

Dreamweavernoob
03-14-09, 01:41 PM
I want to have a quick game with a friend online. However when we go on CS-S server we will both have a ping of 300+

Can we sort of sync or something so the ping isnt so high?

thanks

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-14-09, 02:30 PM
start a local server, then connect to IP:port directly, add the IP to the favorites... There you go, local LAN game.

compuguy1088
03-14-09, 02:30 PM
I want to have a quick game with a friend online. However when we go on CS-S server we will both have a ping of 300+

Can we sort of sync or something so the ping isnt so high?

thanks

Out of curiosity....what is the speed of your internet connection, and what was the ping of the server before you both connected. I've done something similar to what you have done, with many other games. The only real issues i've seen with multiple players on an internet connection is with RTS's.

bob saget
03-14-09, 03:34 PM
when you go to LAN tab in server browser, you should be able to see the game.

Dreamweavernoob
03-14-09, 06:23 PM
Im sorry if I did not make it clear, I can create a lan game fine with no lag, but I wish to join online server (playing only one person whose ass I can kick gets boring :lol:).

My ping is usually 40-60, 30 or so when im on a server near me. I get download speed of 128kbps (1mb line).

compuguy1088
03-14-09, 07:13 PM
Im sorry if I did not make it clear, I can create a lan game fine with no lag, but I wish to join online server (playing only one person whose ass I can kick gets boring :lol:).

My ping is usually 40-60, 30 or so when im on a server near me. I get download speed of 128kbps (1mb line).

Your internet connection....could be the problem.....I've had two playing on the same server on a 5 mbit connection (down), 2mbits up, whats the upload of your connection.

Dreamweavernoob
03-14-09, 07:35 PM
its 128kbps (I get 14kbps)

WeReWoLf
03-14-09, 08:33 PM
The speed of the line shouldn't be the problem too much. The server is local? Are you running the net connection through a router or a hub? Are either of you downloading something at the same time? I know steam likes to do that to me.

Pause the update so I can play TF2. Okay, paused, start TF2. Alt-Tab from TF2, pause the update. Alt-tab back into the game. Join the server. Server Joined. Alt-tab, pause update again. Alt-tab and play. Just as long as I don't change server or load a new map, I don't have to Alt-tab again.

Absolution
03-14-09, 11:02 PM
its 128kbps (I get 14kbps)

kilobytes or kilobits?

If you get 14 kilobytes per second on download, that is really slow like ISDN speeds, not even broadband.

Also, if you have a 1mbit line and you're getting those speeds, either your ISP or router is having major issues. You shouldn't get a 10th of the advertised speed. Finally, if you do have a 1mbit download speed, I suppose your upload speed is significantly slower (as it almost always is). What is your upload speed? Upload speed can be a limiting factor in lan gaming due to it being usually a fraction of the download speed.

WeReWoLf
03-15-09, 05:02 AM
His download speed is 128 Kilobytes per second, and his upload speed is 14 kilobytes per second.

K007
03-15-09, 05:11 AM
his upload blows, so its not going to work too well for double connection.