PDA

View Full Version : AHCI should I use it or not

mcolbourn
03-15-09, 10:25 AM
Guys

I neeed to re-install Windows and want to know If I should set my bios to use AHCI or IDE mode. ATM I am using IDE mode but have read up on AHCI and find that it supports features thats may increase preformance of my drive etc

So does anyone have any experiance of AHCI and would you recomend it or not?

walterman
03-15-09, 10:36 AM
Sometimes, the drive performs slower, or there are some compatibility issues. You should try in your system yourself. In my system, i noticed about better sustained disc transfer speeds when using several seeks (writting & reading several files at the same time).

nekrosoft13
03-15-09, 12:01 PM
like walterman, sometimes it works better sometimes not. AHCI particularly doesn't like older optical drives.

OldOfEvil
03-15-09, 12:35 PM
Its handy to use if you have newer HD, you get support for hot swap-ability and such.

logan
03-16-09, 10:00 AM
I have two external enclosures used for backups and the only way I could use eSATA without having them an all the time was by enabling AHCI on ICH9R. My SATA DVD won't reliably boot or burn in AHCI, fortunately I have a Marvell SATA controller on my motherboard and just use that. I've since bought an internal 4 bay hot-swap enclosure and it works well. My system was almost completely unusable during the first software mdadm raid5 rebuild/verify, but disabling NCQ helped.