PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 and Quake 4 surround sound issue

Lazaredz
03-15-09, 05:03 PM
Decided to reinstall D3 and Q4 for old times sake and give them a run through again. However, I am unable to get sound from any speakers except the front left and right. Last time I played these two games I did have an X-fi installed and dont recall there being an issue then. Now I only have the onboard (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD) and it has worked just fine for everything else I have done.

I have made sure the settings in windows (Vista 64) is correct (5.1). I have edited the .cfg to set the number of speakers to 4, 5, and 6 with no change. I have isntalled openAL and set the .cfg for it to 1 with no change (although this did allow me to change the ingame audio setting to surround from stereo, where it would not allow me to do that before). Really kind of stumped.

Any thoughts?

Thx

EDIT ( Now that I think of it ..... it was probably on XP back then too ..... that may be the biggest differance as I recall there being some sort of issue with Vista not supporting .... what was it D3D or something? Know it was an audio issue ..... )

LordJuanlo
03-15-09, 05:26 PM
3D sound in Doom 3 engine games is done through OpenAL, SoundMAX integrated HD does not support it so you are out of luck. Modern games support surround with any 5.1 integrated audio chip, but old games relied on DS3D and OpenAL, and under Vista that's only available on Creative and Xonar cards

Lazaredz
03-15-09, 05:47 PM
Well, there it is then.

:\

Ah well .... time for the Matrix button on the 5300e

Thx

bob saget
03-15-09, 07:50 PM
fun games.....

Eliminator
03-15-09, 08:14 PM
why not just buy a real sound card?... an audigy 4 is probably around $30 and would be godly to any integrated sound card

Lazaredz
03-15-09, 11:25 PM
why not just buy a real sound card?... an audigy 4 is probably around $30 and would be godly to any integrated sound card

Actually have a Xfi lying around. Thing is, I had more problems with it than it was worth. Honestly, I cant tell much of a differance between my current onboard (P5B Deluxe W-Fi .... whatever that has) and the Xfi. This is the only issue I have had so far and its really "meh".

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-16-09, 12:08 AM
I had a sound issue with Doom3 on my linux box, but that was easily fixed with the latest patch and using the OSS sound server. :bleh: