PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a TF2 game server?

Albo
03-16-09, 04:12 PM
I'm wondering... what do you need to make a game server?? I heard that you can make one on a regular computer, but it has to be on 24/7. ( I have tons of computers that are just covered in dust)
But the most important question I have i what software do I need to make a TF2 server for other people in the other side of the world to play at. Is it dedicated server? WHAT DO I NEED???

thx

plz don't call me a noob, I know that you can just get hosting online and all that crap, and I know that you need a server. But lets say I have that server, what kind of software would I need?

nekrosoft13
03-16-09, 04:15 PM
all you need is a computer, decent internet connection, and steam running.

in steam under tools you will find all servers available to games that you own.

Install TF2 dedicated server, set up game type maps etc.. and thats all.

bacon12
03-16-09, 04:21 PM
http://www.srcds.com/

Albo
03-16-09, 05:29 PM
im wondering... Can I have a dedicated Server running on one computer and play it on another computer, same steam name, account name, same IP etc..?

What I mean is
Do I need to have two different accounts and buy this game twice in order to play my server?

also, would a 3mbps be okay?

ViN86
03-16-09, 06:41 PM
im wondering... Can I have a dedicated Server running on one computer and play it on another computer, same steam name, account name, same IP etc..?

What I mean is
Do I need to have two different accounts and buy this game twice in order to play my server?

also, would a 3mbps be okay?
3Mbps up you mean?

that should be ok for 24 players at 33 tick rate or 16 at 66 tick rate. probably about 12 at 100 tick rate.

these are rough bandwidth estimations. google it to find out more. (tbh i found a person on another forum that recommended these sizes for a 2Mbit connection, so you should have more flexibility. you could probably do close to 16 players at 100 tick.)

please dont ask me about the tick and bandwidth, i am not an expert and will only refer you to google lol
http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/6054

Albo
03-16-09, 08:37 PM
3Mbps up you mean?

that should be ok for 24 players at 33 tick rate or 16 at 66 tick rate. probably about 12 at 100 tick rate.

these are rough bandwidth estimations. google it to find out more. (tbh i found a person on another forum that recommended these sizes for a 2Mbit connection, so you should have more flexibility. you could probably do close to 16 players at 100 tick.)

please dont ask me about the tick and bandwidth, i am not an expert and will only refer you to google lol
http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/6054

lolololol I meant 3MBPS download... (Only actually 300kbps though)
I'm screwed

once I can work Im investing in a 15MBPS download, hopefully that will be 3MBPS or so :V

But anyways, I've been looking at SRCDS and it tells me to enter all this stuff into a console, and I have no idea where to. :lol:

222 POST!!! eerie

evox
03-16-09, 10:46 PM
Srcds is too complex for starters. Although its much better than the DS Steam provides in tools menu. You can't login from one Steam account on two PCs simultaneously.

Also, you're confusing the bandwidth matters by mixing in Mb/MB/kbps. Most 24-player servers run on 12/12Mbit (mega bit per second, 30 tick rate) connections. It can vary depending on the game, in TF2's case, Source's netcode is pretty good so you can manage even with single digit connections. Again, largely depends on the tickrate and player cap. 30000 rate is quite good and standard but requires a significant amount of both downsteam and upstream bandwidth.

bacon12
03-17-09, 06:08 AM
Yes it is much better, but the reason I suggested it is the DS from steam is broken right now from what I have been reading, and I don't think it has been fixed yet.

I can hook you up with $1 slots and free fast redirect, over 60 custom maps on there and counting. PM me if you are interested, or have questions.

evox
03-17-09, 08:04 PM
Yes it is much better, but the reason I suggested it is the DS from steam is broken right now from what I have been reading, and I don't think it has been fixed yet.

I can hook you up with $1 slots and free fast redirect, over 60 custom maps on there and counting. PM me if you are interested, or have questions.
Oh, you mean the "Steam Validation Rejected" error? For many people (myself included) you can fix it by creating a text file, name it "steam_appid" and enter "440" in it. Then paste them in bin, cfg and root folder of Source Dedicated Server 2007 folder.

Albo
03-18-09, 02:33 PM
Oka, so I have a pretty old PC that has 10GB of free space, about 2.0 GHz of CPU speed. And like 1GB of RAM, maybe more. And it has Windows 2000 on it.

CaptNKILL
03-18-09, 02:53 PM
What kind of CPU is it? :o

Albo
03-19-09, 04:51 PM
I got the server up and running, but no one can play on it cause it won't show up?
Any one can help?

IDK wat kind of CPU it is, sorry. Old though

nvm, instead of TCP, the ports needed to be UDP

did that and they worked like a charm