PDA

View Full Version : Steam offers gamers in-game downloadable content

Pages : [1] 2

evox
03-16-09, 10:51 PM
Valve, creators of best-selling entertainment products and advanced technologies, today announced the arrival of in-game downloadable content to Steam, their massively popular PC gaming platform. In-game DLC allows developers and publishers to use their own games as a platform for selling additional content to gamers.

The first game to take advantage of this new in-game DLC capability is The Maw, by Twisted Pixel Games. Their first DLC releases are levels entitled The Maw: Brute Force and The Maw: River Redirect. Each DLC level expands The Maw storyline by fitting in-between the original levels as "deleted scenes."

Twisted Pixel CEO, Michael Wilford, says "We're happy that we can now offer Steam customers significant expansions to the Maw story, delivering more Maw directly to gamers while they're still playing the game."

DLC can now be added to any game on Steam, regardless of whether it was originally purchased via Steam, at retail, or via other digital outlets. It is also a feature of Steamworks, the suite of free tools and services available to game developers and publishers.

For more information about The Maw or Steam, please visit www.steamgames.com.

Interesting. I guess many are riled up that Steam is going the EA/Horrible Cop X way but its a pretty nifty idea. Assuming ofcourse, they don't start it on their products themselves. Valve has spoiled its customers with free content, it'd be a shame if it changed now.

So yeah, did anyone actually buy The Maw?

JasonPC
03-16-09, 10:57 PM
Yeah I noticed Empire Total War uses this for the special forces units and potentially future downloadable content.

NarcissistZero
03-16-09, 11:17 PM
I am for it, DLC is coming out whether we like it or not due to consoles, and many times we don't get it as there is no streamlined way for developers to deliver it. At least now we can have the option of buying or not buying.

Also, better than Games for Windos Live.

Kaguya
03-16-09, 11:47 PM
I am for it, DLC is coming out whether we like it or not due to consoles, and many times we don't get it as there is no streamlined way for developers to deliver it. At least now we can have the option of buying or not buying.

Also, better than Games for Windos Live.

Agreed. If only this was available before Bethesda decided to go with GFWL for Fallout 3.

Too bad this will still probably leave PC out of Prince of Persia DLC, although the infrastructure is there now, I doubt Ubisoft will opt in just for that game.

NarcissistZero
03-17-09, 12:11 AM
Agreed. If only this was available before Bethesda decided to go with GFWL for Fallout 3.

Too bad this will still probably leave PC out of Prince of Persia DLC, although the infrastructure is there now, I doubt Ubisoft will opt in just for that game.

They also had some Farcry 2 content, as I recall... and with new Ubi games coming, they could be persuaded.

raystorm
03-17-09, 08:24 AM
Figured this was coming sooner or later. The DLC market on consoles is a massive one so its easy to see that pc devs would try it. Whether this means quality downloadables or devs "nickel and diming" with stuff that should have been in the game originally is another thing. I hope they don't try some crap like selling 3 maps for a shooter for 10 bucks or something. Console gamers may lap that up like hotcakes but I dont see pc gamers doing that. We're pretty used to proper expansion packs and the occasional free map pack to keep us playing and interested in a particular series.

The folks at Neogaf love finding out whether a particular games DLC is actually on the game disc by way of the file's size. If its some 108kb sized download then its just some key that you use to unlock stuff that is already on the game disc. Namco is notorious for this and Capcom is following this road now with all the Street Fighter 4 costumes (that are already on the disc and in the arcade game for all to use!). I dunno..lets see where this goes. As usual, just let your money do the talking.

Q
03-17-09, 08:59 AM
When I hear "in-game downloadable content" I shiver just a little bit. Just imagine playing through Final Fantasy 7 for 40 some odd hours, getting all the way to the final battle with Sephiroth, and then screen fades to black followed by an "opportunity" to fight him for like $10.

Awesome. I can't wait.

LurkerLito
03-17-09, 10:41 AM
It's kind of a double edge sword for me. I do think it is a necessary thing to add to steam but at the same time I would hate for the DLC feature to destroy PC gaming. With DLC one of the most important features of PC gaming (mods) might become a thing of the past. No company will want you to be able to mod and make your own content when they can do it and charge you for it. And imagine the kind of C&D and threats of lawsuits that will occur if you make something that is too "similar" to their paid DLC even if you released it first for free.

v3rninater
03-17-09, 11:41 AM
I beg to differ, this is an excellent way to keep pc gaming going, and still give the developers the $$$ they want. I know it's a give and take, but at the same time, don't you see that Steam is doing something really great here!?

We'll see eventually but from what I can see, it looks to keep pc gaming going for a long time.

ViN86
03-17-09, 12:24 PM
ahh **** does this mean i have to pay for every extra like on XBL? i hate that **** lol.

i cant complain though, since i rarely ever buy it. besides, most devs put it out for free (ie GOW map packs on XBL) if you wait long enough :D

Bman212121
03-17-09, 01:10 PM
IMO it depends upon how they do it. One of the advantages with DLC is that you can decide what you want to buy. I've played a few F2P (Free to play) games and you can play the game like normal without having to buy anything. If you like the game and want to spend money on getting better items then you have the option to.

I could see the model working if the base of the game is say $30 and then you can buy the extras. Now where I have the issue is that you pay full price for a game ($50 - $60) and you have to spend even more money to be able to play it.

For an FPS game it could really hinder the game if maps were extra. Imagine playing a round on one map then half of the people on the server couldn't play the next because they didn't buy it. It would be a pretty tough sell to even get server admins to load those maps because it would make their servers unpopular.

Kaguya
03-17-09, 01:16 PM
ahh **** does this mean i have to pay for every extra like on XBL? i hate that **** lol.

i cant complain though, since i rarely ever buy it. besides, most devs put it out for free (ie GOW map packs on XBL) if you wait long enough :D

Exactly, you're never forced to buy DLC :)

With this being on Steam, though, it gives devs fewer reasons to opt for a different distribution channel, so I think this is extremely beneficial. Too many times we're losing DLC or Steam availability because devs want to offer DLC up for a fee. Chances are Valve and others will still offer up free add-ons, but DLC is here and it's here to stay.

JohnDio
03-17-09, 01:52 PM
DLC is basically Mods charged. Now imagine what will happen when the devs decide to "use" this DLC and make their PC games unmoddable. Waaaaaaay to go, this is how you can kill the PC gaming industry to make more money (yeah among the funny release delays, the sh!ty protections, etc). Thnx but no thnx

LordJuanlo
03-18-09, 06:23 AM
Prince of Persia is a sad example of bad DLC, because it continues the story just after the game finished, and we PC gamers won't know the real end. DLC should add different, parallel adventures but shouldn't be used to put a real end to a game.

Badboy_12345
03-18-09, 10:24 AM
Who else on valve has sold his soul? :confused:
I know Gabe has already sold his to satan... so they must have found someone else

bacon12
03-18-09, 11:11 AM
WTF are you talking about? Valve is the best pc dev out there, and they are the only one that actually listens to their customers and gives them what they want.

TF2 has been updated 20 times since release. How many other games can you say that about? None, because the devs got their money and moved on to the next cash cow.

NarcissistZero
03-18-09, 06:12 PM
Who else on valve has sold his soul? :confused:
I know Gabe has already sold his to satan... so they must have found someone else

If this move allows me access to DLC that we PC gamers usually lose out on, it's Valve doing PC gamers a favor!

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

evox
03-18-09, 08:59 PM
WTF are you talking about? Valve is the best pc dev out there, and they are the only one that actually listens to their customers and gives them what they want.

TF2 has been updated 20 times since release. How many other games can you say that about? None, because the devs got their money and moved on to the next cash cow.

Actually around 65 times. :p

raystorm
03-19-09, 12:19 PM
The Maw had the first 2 DLCs on steam but there is now the first DLC for a major game on Steam and its for Far Cry 2 called the Fortunes Pack. Its 5 bucks for 3 new weapons, 5 maps and 2 vehicles. It begins...

NarcissistZero
03-19-09, 06:50 PM
The Maw had the first 2 DLCs on steam but there is now the first DLC for a major game on Steam and its for Far Cry 2 called the Fortunes Pack. Its 5 bucks for 3 new weapons, 5 maps and 2 vehicles. It begins...

Came out on console a long time ago... now Ubi has a way to deliver it on PC. This is exactly what I hoped for, that publishers would use this to give us content we have been denied for a long time now.

Interestingly it requires the Steam version of Farcry 2, which goes against the stated press release goal of DLC being used for all games.

raystorm
03-19-09, 08:02 PM
Came out on console a long time ago... now Ubi has a way to deliver it on PC. This is exactly what I hoped for, that publishers would use this to give us content we have been denied for a long time now.

Interestingly it requires the Steam version of Farcry 2, which goes against the stated press release goal of DLC being used for all games.

Yea, only steam versions (I have the retail) and it is 5 bucks less than the console DLC if anyone cares. I'm not against DLC like some folks but I don't see the value in many of them (granted that is a very subjective thing) since I'm so used to proper pc expansion packs that have keep many pc games and franchises rolling for years and years. I have yet to purchase DLC of any form but am tempted to pick up the Fallout 3 DLC. I'll probably wait until the 3 planned DLC's for the game is released and then buy 'em during summer or something.

NarcissistZero
03-19-09, 08:21 PM
I don't think this Farcry 2 DLC is worth it either, but I agree some DLC is.

The upcoming Fallout 3 DLC "The Pitt" looks really great, and "Operation: Anchorage" was a fun little "what if Fallout was an FPS?" experience.

WeReWoLf
03-19-09, 09:11 PM
Farcry 2 DLC is for Steam users only. If you had the misfortune of purchasing it from a store, then no DLC for you.

Badboy_12345
03-20-09, 05:06 AM

3 weapons 5 maps and 2 vehicles!
MUST BUY!

Crappy DLC for a crappy game

Youll see soon it will come to multiplayer games.. And if you havent bought it you can play with anyone else who has. And they will sell 1 new weapon for $10 and change the server version