PDA

View Full Version : PC Gaming Over?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bearclaw
03-18-09, 12:18 PM
My friend recently got into this debate with me.

"NVIDIA licenses PhysX technology for Sony's PlayStation 3 (It's over for PC's)."

What would you say to combat that statement?

jAkUp
03-18-09, 12:23 PM
That would detract from the other graphical features in the game.

It is not like, hey you can now add a PhysX card to your PS3, or hey you can upgrade the GPU on your PS3 now. Adding PhysX to a PS3 is equivalent to enabling PhysX effects on a 7900GTX, sure it may now have PhysX, but it is just going to slow things down meaning that you will need to sacrifice in other areas.

Hex
03-18-09, 12:27 PM
My only gripe is that so many pc games are being dumbed down for consoles, but what can you do.

LordJuanlo
03-18-09, 12:30 PM
A PhysX license for PS3 does not mean it's over for PC, your friend's debate has no sense, nothing has changed

Bearclaw
03-18-09, 12:32 PM
A PhysX license for PS3 does not mean it's over for PC, your friend's debate has no sense, nothing has changed

That's what I said. ;)

nekrosoft13
03-18-09, 12:37 PM
all that means is possible better chance of Physx succeeding, more games supporting it.

Quick420
03-18-09, 12:55 PM
+1 What Nekro said rings true,it seems physx is more than a gimmick now:D

zoomy942
03-18-09, 01:01 PM
i LOL at everyone who says gaming is dead. When i first got her on nvnews, i have a GeForce 6200 (yeah thats how long ago it was) and people were debating even than about the death of PC gaming. and look - we are still here.

methimpikehoses
03-18-09, 01:05 PM
PC gaming is great right now.

Noriega
03-18-09, 01:35 PM
PhysX is BS my friends checked Mirrors Edge and they were doing this game with physic for CPU what's interesting somone unlocked it and this game was running faster then with Physic on GPU. So there really is no need to have NV GPU cuase this game has physic writed for CPU and NV deosn't recode this properly for GPU some polish coder unlocked this and run the game on 4870 result was that PHysic was better working on CPU and GPU had more power for graphic render so there was more FPS.

PhysX= fiction

ATi
03-18-09, 02:04 PM
PC gaming is great right now.

+1:) Stalker 3:D

MaxFX
03-18-09, 02:14 PM
Yeah nothing has changed at all, it's the opposite as even more games will get physx by default and nVidia have allready stated that the console have physx driven games so it's nothing we allready dident know!

MaxFX
03-18-09, 02:22 PM
PhysX is BS my friends checked Mirrors Edge and they were doing this game with physic for CPU what's interesting somone unlocked it and this game was running faster then with Physic on GPU. So there really is no need to have NV GPU cuase this game has physic writed for CPU and NV deosn't recode this properly for GPU some polish coder unlocked this and run the game on 4870 result was that PHysic was better working on CPU and GPU had more power for graphic render so there was more FPS.

PhysX= fiction

WTF and you are the pc gaming biggest fanBOI here.
you are talking BS, have you been living under a rock or what (nana2)

EA / UBI SOFT and other big names have gone out saying they support physx totaly and they will use it in the upcoming games so one thing is sure nVidia have allready succeeded!

Mirrors Edge is one of the first game to use physx you do know that dont ya.
How come dev jumps all over it and prasie it, it's obviously the real deal and will take gaming to the next level.

I say take of your blindfall off and stop talking out of your ass as you dont know jack!

Skinner
03-18-09, 02:27 PM
all that means is possible better chance of Physx succeeding, more games supporting it.

And getting it back to the PC on multiplatforms.
The sooner consoles are getting (more) advanced, the better for us, PC-gamers, it will be. Hell, I would gladly see the memory is getting increased to 1 or 2 GB, maybe they start making quality textures again.

This is from a game from 2003:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,639962/PCGH-Special-The-most-beautiful-textures-in-games/Spiele/Wissen/&menu=browser&image_id=806983&article_id=639962&page=1&show=original
After the engine got modified for the consoles, most of the texturequality went downhill (not all of them).

saturnotaku
03-18-09, 02:32 PM

PhysX= fiction

WTF and you are the pc gaming biggest fanBOI here.
you are talking BS, have you been living under a rock or what (nana2)

EA / UBI SOFT and other big names have gone out saying they support physx totaly and they will use it in the upcoming games so one thing is sure nVidia have allready succeeded!

Mirrors Edge is one of the first game to use physx you do know that dont ya.
How come dev jumps all over it and prasie it, it's obviously the real deal and will take gaming to the next level.

I say take of your blindfall off and stop talking out of your ass as you dont know jack!

Didn't think I'd see the day when these two chimps would start flinging their poo at each other. :crosseye:

Back on topic, PC gaming has been in the midst of quite the renaissance of late both because, and in spite of, consoles. Quality big-name and indie titles have been coming in bunches, and quite a few ports are well worth picking up. That's not to say there haven't been any stinkers, but that's the way it's going to be from now on.

Noriega
03-18-09, 02:49 PM
I think making PhysX avaible on PS3 is another prove of that Physx can work on CPU or somebody thinks that 7800GT that is in PS3 is good GPU for Physx? Maybe in future NV will really improve CUDA and Physx so it will be really needed to depend on GPU.

Kaguya
03-18-09, 02:54 PM

Exactly :)

"Oh no, you can program for PhysX on the PS3 now!? Definitely the end of PC gaming since PhysX is the ONLY reason people game on PCs... and all PhysX games have been highly successful... guess I have to buy a PS3 for PhysX."

I could probably go on and on... just don't see the logic in this one, sorry.

Tho Jo Smale
03-18-09, 03:00 PM
Didn't think I'd see the day when these two chimps would start flinging their poo at each other. :crosseye:

Back on topic, PC gaming has been in the midst of quite the renaissance of late both because, and in spite of, consoles. Quality big-name and indie titles have been coming in bunches, and quite a few ports are well worth picking up. That's not to say there haven't been any stinkers, but that's the way it's going to be from now on.

Well put....I agree....PC Gaming is really getting some excellent titles.....and some decent ports.

Ancient76
03-18-09, 03:09 PM
PC gaming is worst then ever. So many PC exclusives is destroyed, or doesn't exist anymore.

grey_1
03-18-09, 03:15 PM
PC gaming is worst then ever. So many PC exclusives is destroyed, or doesn't exist anymore.

A game doesn't have to be exclusive to be a top notch title.

FEAR 2
The Witcher
Fallout 3
Dead Space

There's more..but any sacrifices made to tailor them to console are usually small and not seriously detrimental to the game on PC.

jolle
03-18-09, 03:21 PM
I think making PhysX avaible on PS3 is another prove of that Physx can work on CPU or somebody thinks that 7800GT that is in PS3 is good GPU for Physx? Maybe in future NV will really improve CUDA and Physx so it will be really needed to depend on GPU.

Well PhysX has been software (CPU) driven for ages, since when it was called Novodex and well before they started looking into HW solutions.
You just dont make much splash with a standard physics implemention as you do when you put in alot of extra bells and whistles in an additional implementation targeting offloading dedicated hardware, previously the PPU, now the GPU.

but you can definatly use the PhysX API as a physics engine without putting in enough load to warrant any special HW paths.
Its just that when you start piling on tons of particles and physics effects your gonna push alot of CPUs to their knees, modern highend quads could prolly perform passably in alot cases, but you dont that as a CPU requirement due to sales.
So preferably you make a heavy implementation that relies on HW offload, then add stuff and raise the CPU requirements really high.

so yeah, whoever claims the PhysX API cant be used without adding a over the top HW accelerated implementation prolly dont know what they´re talking about.
Wouldnt be very useful if it only ran on GPU/PPU.

Its prolly less attractive for a software implementation then Havok due to the tools that havok comes with that tie into alot of different pipelines.
But then again its prolly WAY cheaper to license then the more established Havok engine is.

methimpikehoses
03-18-09, 03:21 PM
Burnout, Dirt, Grid, COD's, mass effect, civilization, Total Wars, Fallout 3, WIC, etc etc.

MaxFX
03-18-09, 03:22 PM
Well put....I agree....PC Gaming is really getting some excellent titles.....and some decent ports.

+1 as lately it have been better then ever and I can only see it continue!

@saturnotaku I knew you would say that, that was a shock for you I know LOL

Noriega
03-18-09, 03:24 PM
@jolle it is true that you can run physx on ATI cards it is based on software there is no magic chip on Nvidias graphic crads that calculate physx ;)

v3rninater
03-18-09, 03:28 PM
If anyone has been reading threads in here, have you noticed the "It's all about Greed!" thread?

Companies are finding it harder and harder to make a profit and justify the cost of production in a triple A title, vs. profit. So what they are doing is using some BS justification (piracy) as a means to dumb down things. (making it easier on the companies to produce games) While upping the chance of control over their products which in turn, makes them more money = profit.

It's all about greed folks, nothing more or less, PC games will always be better looking and playing, it's just that the means aren't justified like I said above.

The only way things on the PC could be this way, is if they had a log-in system like WOW and payed a monthly price like WOW. Really the only way to have a large profit on the PC now is to have that control over it like an MMORPG, and/or downloadable content.

This is realistically the only way to keep PC gaming alive and fresh while still making the companies happy. I dont' get why people are so pissy about DLC, because this is pretty much inevidable now days. And plus you guys that have consoles pay for the same bs on your console, but whine when it's on PC. :retard:

I don't get it, PC should be like the old days, where people felt like they had ownership of and through the games they played. Now it's just more expensive, and that's okay with me because I know that gaming is wayyy more complicated and expensive then it's ever been.

Do you all get that?