PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the Super High Detail Mode for UT2K3

prodikal
06-07-03, 11:26 PM
I hear there is a super high detail mode for UT2k3 that can be enabled in the system files. is this true? and how do you enable it? Thanx

Hellbinder
06-08-03, 01:53 AM
This is a Tough one.

Daniel Vogel Claimed a while back when i Questioned him about this (back in the day in reference to some stuff that ticked me off). That it was really not anything special for a True HQ mode. But simply an issue with Default Level of detail with certain textures. You see there is an engine switch that is set for each texture as it is pulled out of their Pak files. The Unreal engine knows how much Ram a card has and internally sets certain limits on what the default lod is for some of the really large textures. Apparently there are some in there so huge that they would only be allowed to be at full detail once 256mb cards hit the shelf.

However, I have yet to see any proof of this. Once more 256mb cards hit the shelf perhaps we will be able to test this.

(actually its more of an internal property set in the texture File that the engine reads, than the engine itself)

bkswaney
06-08-03, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
This is a Tough one.

Daniel Vogel Claimed a while back when i Questioned him about this (back in the day in reference to some stuff that ticked me off). That it was really not anything special for a True HQ mode. But simply an issue with Default Level of detail with certain textures. You see there is an engine switch that is set for each texture as it is pulled out of their Pak files. The Unreal engine knows how much Ram a card has and internally sets certain limits on what the default lod is for some of the really large textures. Apparently there are some in there so huge that they would only be allowed to be at full detail once 256mb cards hit the shelf.

However, I have yet to see any proof of this. Once more 256mb cards hit the shelf perhaps we will be able to test this.

(actually its more of an internal property set in the texture File that the engine reads, than the engine itself)

I was wondering this myself.

Thanx for the post HB. Great info. :D