PDA

View Full Version : Publishers Unhappy With PlayStation Network Bandwidth Fees

NaitoSan
03-20-09, 12:29 PM
This is interesting. No wonder there's not much stuff on PSN lately.

According to MTV Multiplayer, the PlayStation Network Bandwidth Fee Sony charges for content downloads could have publishers thinking twice about what downloadable content they offer on the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation Network Bandwidth Fee, instituted on October 1st of last year, charges game publishers 16 cents per gigabyte of free and paid content download via the PlayStation Network, which presumably helps Sony cover the cost of the bandwidth. The fee only covers the first 60 days of downloads for free content, while paid content accrues fees until the content is removed from the service.

While 16 cents may not sound like much, as MTV Multiplayer points out, a one gigabyte demo downloaded one million times equals an additional $160,000 a publisher has to pay Sony, on top of licensing fees to get their games on the PlayStation 3 in the first place. Needless to say, publishers aren't too happy about the fee.

http://kotaku.com/5177036/publishers-unhappy-with-playstation-network-bandwidth-fees

NarcissistZero
03-20-09, 12:38 PM
MS does something similar as well I am sure.

|MaguS|
03-20-09, 12:44 PM
Demo's are advertisements, it's the same when they have to pay for shelf space, promotional posters in stores and commercials. Sony is providing them an outlet and a wider reach at a very cheap price (.16 per GB is cheaper then ISPs charge for bandwidth).

As for lack of content... I don't know what your doing but lately week by week PSN has been having large updates... I can't remember a week where we didn't get a Demo or some great content...

But really, Do we care that publishers are getting charged? Would you rather fit the bill? I prefer it the way it is, I get good content and it's free...

NarcissistZero
03-20-09, 12:49 PM
The only thing PSN is lax on is releasing PS1 classics... the Japan store already has RE2 for god's sake!

Of course, we all can just play them on a PS1 emulator, but that's not the point.

Bman212121
03-20-09, 12:51 PM
So one million demo downloads is...

1,000TB of traffic. :lol: So let's see a 1gbps connection is 10 approx 125MBps. It would take 2,222 hours to transfer all of that data. That's 92 days or about 3 months solid on a 1gbps connection.

Anyone have pricing on 1gbps links? :p

|MaguS|
03-20-09, 12:54 PM
The only thing PSN is lax on is releasing PS1 classics... the Japan store already has RE2 for god's sake!

Of course, we all can just play them on a PS1 emulator, but that's not the point.

Yeah, That's really my biggest complaint. I wish we would get aleast half of what JPN got. They have Square titles, MGS, All the RE's... it's sucks so much. :(

nekrosoft13
03-20-09, 12:57 PM

so sony screws the publishers, and ms screws users and publishers?

|MaguS|
03-20-09, 12:59 PM
so sony screws the publishers, and ms screws users and publishers?

Isn't that how it usually goes?

NaitoSan
03-20-09, 01:27 PM
I'm not alone on PSN lacking content. There's a lot of people around said or thought the same. Actually Microsoft doesn't charge publishers for downloadable contents on Xbox Live, it's their policy. Xbox Live already have so much contents and we get nice deals for gold members on few games like 33% discount on Braid for a week. Almost every week, nothing really interests me, just a bunch of DLC and trailers. I suspense Sony's own in-house developers doesn't have to pay for bandwidth fee. That wouldn't be fair for other publishers.

I rather pay yearly fee for PSN for better speed, more contents. I like free stuff but there's no such as free stuff. I'm all to support Sony but they have been making a lot of bad decisions like Sony cutting employee wages and bonuses in the next 12 months.

http://kotaku.com/5174363/sony-freezing-cutting-employee-wages

|MaguS|
03-20-09, 01:43 PM
I rather pay yearly fee for PSN for better speed, more contents. I like free stuff but there's no such as free stuff. I'm all to support Sony but they have been making a lot of bad decisions like Sony cutting employee wages and bonuses in the next 12 months.

http://kotaku.com/5174363/sony-freezing-cutting-employee-wages

First off, I would rather my pay be cut and/or frozen then be out of work, any employee would. Thats a stupid argument to bring up in our economic times, ask anyone who was laid off. I'm sure they would agree that they would rather still have their jobs with lower pay then where they are now.

As for your complaints about PSN, I will disagree again. Only complaint I find is lack of domestic PSX downloads. They provide many free games, demos and content to users, DLC is plenty on the network as well. I can't see how anyone can find a complaint regarding content. Maybe its lacking in content that YOU find appealing but it's not lacking in content at all (I would say on a week to week basis it provides more updates to content then XBLive).

The PSN also provides more unique titles and full retail quality titles then other networks. The speed isn't an issue as well, I downloads content nice and speedy, your probably running on a wireless network which is usually slower then wired.

"It definitely makes us think about how we view the distribution of content related to our games when it is free for us to do it on the web, on Xbox Live, or any other way - including broadcast - than on Sony's platform,"
EDIT: BTW It's unknown if MS charges publishers... all we have to go by is what an unnamed source states, But then he goes on to say that publishers don't have to pay for broadcast... which we all know is not true.

Bman212121
03-20-09, 01:54 PM
For content I think there is quite a bit of stuff, but I'm not sure how much of it I like to play. I probably downloaded at least 10 demos the last time I sat down, and played about 6 of them. If you goto look for new updates daily then there probably is a lack of content for you.

Mr. Hunt
03-20-09, 02:05 PM

I agree.. there are some truly great classics on PS1, and we get none of them :(. All I ask for is RE2... that is all... it has been years since I last played it, and it is still my favorite RE.

NaitoSan
03-20-09, 02:46 PM
First off, I would rather my pay be cut and/or frozen then be out of work, any employee would. Thats a stupid argument to bring up in our economic times, ask anyone who was laid off. I'm sure they would agree that they would rather still have their jobs with lower pay then where they are now.

As for your complaints about PSN, I will disagree again. Only complaint I find is lack of domestic PSX downloads. They provide many free games, demos and content to users, DLC is plenty on the network as well. I can't see how anyone can find a complaint regarding content. Maybe its lacking in content that YOU find appealing but it's not lacking in content at all (I would say on a week to week basis it provides more updates to content then XBLive).

The PSN also provides more unique titles and full retail quality titles then other networks. The speed isn't an issue as well, I downloads content nice and speedy, your probably running on a wireless network which is usually slower then wired.

EDIT: BTW It's unknown if MS charges publishers... all we have to go by is what an unnamed source states, But then he goes on to say that publishers don't have to pay for broadcast... which we all know is not true.
You do have good points on cutting employee wages and bonus. My complaints about PSN still stands because I don't care about digital distribution for PSX. I rather have hard copy of them. As for contents, yeah probably because mostly are for Buzz, Rock Band, whatever that I don't care about. Or a bunch of videos, themes or wallpapers. I rather get more actual games like Flower but Xbox Live get few per week. Xbox Live do share some unique titles and full retail quality titles too. If wireless connection is fast on Xbox Live, then there's no reason for it to be slow on PSN.

NarcissistZero
03-20-09, 03:57 PM
When I was heavily into both consoles my line of thinking was always "360 has more quantity, PS3 has more quality" when it comes to downloaded games.

I have like 50 XBLA games but barely play any of them, they're all impulse purchases. I have like 12 PSN games and almost all of them are classics and excellent.

NaitoSan
03-20-09, 08:34 PM
When I was heavily into both consoles my line of thinking was always "360 has more quantity, PS3 has more quality" when it comes to downloaded games.

I have like 50 XBLA games but barely play any of them, they're all impulse purchases. I have like 12 PSN games and almost all of them are classics and excellent.
Of course it's my opinion but XBLA has more different kind of genres, remakes and port from older games. PSN doesn't have much of those. I love PSN's unique games like Flower but why don't they get Pac-man Champion Edition, Space Invader Extreme, Castle Crashers, REZ, Braid or even DOOM or Duke Nukem 3D? If PSN get more kind of those, maybe PSN will grow more.

Medion
03-20-09, 08:53 PM

You're right, and there's a reason for it. MS has the quantity because they started doing it sooner, and encouraged indie projects. Sony has the quality because they're trying to release what would otherwise be retail games. They haven't been enforcing file size limits and such.

I own zero download games on my 360, and 3 on my PS3. I'm only looking forward to one more atm, Fat Princess on PS3, if they ever release the damn thing.

NarcissistZero
03-20-09, 09:24 PM
Of course it's my opinion but XBLA has more different kind of genres, remakes and port from older games. PSN doesn't have much of those. I love PSN's unique games like Flower but why don't they get Pac-man Champion Edition, Space Invader Extreme, Castle Crashers, REZ, Braid or even DOOM or Duke Nukem 3D? If PSN get more kind of those, maybe PSN will grow more.

I don't really like arcade classics, and Doom and Duke I would much rather play on PC (Duke looks awesome with mods).

I agree Castle Crashers is awesome though.

Mr. Hunt
03-21-09, 01:57 AM
+1 for Fat Princess... that game looks like it should be a huge amount of simple fun.

Lyme
03-21-09, 02:34 AM

Nope, MS charges for XBL instead. Full article: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/20/sony-now-charging-publishers-for-ps3-downloadable-content/

|MaguS|
03-21-09, 09:40 AM
Nope, MS charges for XBL instead. Full article: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/20/sony-now-charging-publishers-for-ps3-downloadable-content/

And im glad. I have not seen any decline in content on the PSN and it's still free. Way to go MS for justifying charging XBLive users.

Again, I see NOTHING wrong with Sony charging Publishers for bandwidth. They have as many registered users on the PSN network as MS has on XBLive now so to a publisher they are providing a wide audience to advertise with. Thats what demo's are, advertisements, the same with magazine ads, website ads and TV Commercials and they all cost money...

Lyme
03-21-09, 10:38 AM
In the end it all works out to the same end, the customers always end up paying for everything. If it is through the purchase prices, through fees, or any other method.

This is somewhat of a new fee, so the impact may not be felt for a little while yet. Or maybe it will make no difference.. Time will tell.