PDA

View Full Version : Last Remnant PC activation issues

nekrosoft13
03-20-09, 05:39 PM
WOW what a big screw up.

The PC version of The Last Remnant, which launches today in Europe, cannot be played nor installed as far as we - and a Eurogamer reader with the same problem (and an entire Steam forum with the same problem) - can ascertain.

The problem revolves around Steam, with which the game needs to be activated using a registration code found on the back of the manual.

Any attempt to do so, however, is met by the following message: "The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

Worryingly, The Last Remnant is not due for launch on Steam until 9th April, when it will become the first Square Enix game on the digital distribution service.

Square Enix was unavailable to tell us whether we will have to wait until then to activate and play the game. We'll keep chasing them. It's not like we can sit here playing the game after all.

Thanks to Eurogamer reader John Garbutt for pointing this out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-last-remnant-is-unplayable-on-pc

Will they have to wait till April 9th?

Medion
03-20-09, 05:47 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1961958&postcount=2

From what I've read, and not played, it was an average to above average console RPG with some technical issues. If you prefer console RPGs, there are few on the PC, so it might be worth getting. However, keep in mind that Square has a horrid record with PC ports, even with games that didn't have issues on the consoles. I'd cautiously wait on some reviews for the PC version.

Seriously, NEVER touch a PC game made by Square. FF7 PC was so bad, it actually overshadowed all of the glitches with Sin (they were released within a month of each other). FF8 was so bad, not even the JRPG PC crowd would touch it. FF11 was relatively bug free, but was the most literal PS2 port seen at the time, so it had all kinds of configuration issues, and poor performance.

nekrosoft13
03-20-09, 05:51 PM
ok, But this activation issue is actually Steam fault, it has nothing to do with coding. They can't play the game because steam has it locked down till April 9th.

|MaguS|
03-20-09, 05:59 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1961958&postcount=2

Seriously, NEVER touch a PC game made by Square. FF7 PC was so bad, it actually overshadowed all of the glitches with Sin (they were released within a month of each other). FF8 was so bad, not even the JRPG PC crowd would touch it. FF11 was relatively bug free, but was the most literal PS2 port seen at the time, so it had all kinds of configuration issues, and poor performance.

Actually Square never had anything to do with the Final Fantasy 7 port, both it and 8 were handled by Eidos. Final Fantasy XI was done pretty well on the PC, it really only fails in regards to controls.

Mangler
03-20-09, 06:11 PM
WOW what a big screw up.

The PC version of The Last Remnant, which launches today in Europe, cannot be played nor installed as far as we - and a Eurogamer reader with the same problem (and an entire Steam forum with the same problem) - can ascertain.

The problem revolves around Steam, with which the game needs to be activated using a registration code found on the back of the manual.

Any attempt to do so, however, is met by the following message: "The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

Worryingly, The Last Remnant is not due for launch on Steam until 9th April, when it will become the first Square Enix game on the digital distribution service.

Square Enix was unavailable to tell us whether we will have to wait until then to activate and play the game. We'll keep chasing them. It's not like we can sit here playing the game after all.

Thanks to Eurogamer reader John Garbutt for pointing this out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-last-remnant-is-unplayable-on-pc

Will they have to wait till April 9th?

My copy works, maybe they tried to activate the game too early?

NarcissistZero
03-20-09, 06:24 PM
Yeah, this happened with Empire Total War and Saint's Row 2 and some other games, but was quickly corrected afterward.

Medion
03-20-09, 08:25 PM
Actually Square never had anything to do with the Final Fantasy 7 port, both it and 8 were handled by Eidos. Final Fantasy XI was done pretty well on the PC, it really only fails in regards to controls.

Incorrect. Eidos handled the US publishing of the port, but the port was done in house at Square. However, Square did request help from some people at 3Dfx early in the development, as well as some outside help for DirectX programming.

Eidos wasn't even the publisher for FF8 PC, EA was. That was around the time that Square and EA made a publishing agreement, where EA would publish Square games in the US, and vice versa.

jeffmd
03-20-09, 08:45 PM
The PC version of last remnant is a beautiful game.

crainger
03-20-09, 10:05 PM
Incorrect. Eidos handled the US publishing of the port, but the port was done in house at Square. However, Square did request help from some people at 3Dfx early in the development, as well as some outside help for DirectX programming.

Eidos wasn't even the publisher for FF8 PC, EA was. That was around the time that Square and EA made a publishing agreement, where EA would publish Square games in the US, and vice versa.

They requested help from 3DFX then ditched the Glide support right before launch. ::(: Bad move as the Glide version ran so much much smoother.

Medion
03-21-09, 04:55 AM
They requested help from 3DFX then ditched the Glide support right before launch. ::(: Bad move as the Glide version ran so much much smoother.

Yup. When they released that first playable demo, it was beautiful. When the retail game came out, I was pissed because of all the changes. It was the worst case of demo tweaking I had ever seen. Off the top of my head, here were the things changed for retail, from the first demo.

-Music changed to MIDI
-Direct3D only
-they forgot to include the proper video codec, so many people had issues with FMV (I was one of them)

bardiche
03-21-09, 10:30 AM
hi guys i know this might be a bit off topic but

does this game include any other sort of drm such as SecuROm or limited number of game activations in the retial boxed copy

can someone who has the retail copy confirm this :P

many thanks

NarcissistZero
03-21-09, 12:00 PM
It uses Steam, the most intrusive DRM out there (but people love it).

bardiche
03-21-09, 12:47 PM
so just steam? than you very much

much prefer steam to SecuROM any day

ST:DS9
03-24-09, 10:12 AM
so just steam? than you very much

much prefer steam to SecuROM any day

agreed. I love steam, try to buy all my games through steam.

Toss3
03-24-09, 10:16 AM
Well that's good to know considering I was gonna pick it up tonight! :o Guess I'll wait 'til tomorrow to see if this has been corrected.

EDIT: Didn't notice the date of this thread and the problem has apparently already been solved (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/last-remnant-activation-hiccup-fixed).