PDA

View Full Version : Is a ps3 worth it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jkmetal
03-21-09, 11:33 PM
My friend has a ps3. And I've been eying it up lately. MGS4, condemned 2, the darkness, team ico project..... plus I'm looking for one with backwards compatibility, is it worth it? I'm a broke loser as of this post, but I might have the funds 6 months down the road.

jeffmd
03-21-09, 11:38 PM
I believe all the box's on the store shelves now have ditched the Ps2 support?

I dont think its us who should be convincing you to get a Ps3. ^^ If it has the games you want..then get it. I'm on the fence untill FF13 comes out.

Tygerwoody
03-21-09, 11:41 PM
for blu ray player, yes.

Sazar
03-22-09, 12:09 AM
I think it is a pretty good media player :)

And, I can't wait for this to come out :D

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/20/logitech-harmony-adapter-for-playstation-3-get-official/

That would make my entire entertainment system a 1 remote affair with my Harmony 890 :D

WCG
03-22-09, 12:30 AM
I find my PS3 great for blu-ray playin,MGS4 is quite fun, GTA4 is fun, I'm guessing it comes down to your favorite games as said above.

Finally got another optical cable and hooked the audio up to my surround receiver, I fired up transporter 3 bluray and had to turn it down when the sub rattled a picture off the wall.

I don't think a PS3 would be worth having without a nice HDTV.

crainger
03-22-09, 01:52 AM
I love my PS3, Blu Ray, the PSN games like fl0w and SSF2THDR the could noise it makes during start up, cyber sex with |MagNuS| behind the bowling alley in Home, the great controller with clip on beefy triggers and keyboard. I ::wonder:: everytime i use it.

Also plays PS3 games too. They are pretty cool.

jkmetal
03-22-09, 04:34 AM
I believe all the box's on the store shelves now have ditched the Ps2 support?

I dont think its us who should be convincing you to get a Ps3. ^^ If it has the games you want..then get it. I'm on the fence untill FF13 comes out.

i know i could find a 60 or 20 gig online.

ATOJAR
03-22-09, 05:11 PM
I payed 260 for my 80GB version, not only is it a great game console but we watch blu-ray's as well, its great being able to play games relaxing on the big sofa in the living room on my wall mounted 1080p tv, the graphics are stunning .... not as sharp as my pc but still pretty damn impressive and noting to turn your nose up at.

Also there are afew great titles that are just not available on the pc, fight night round 3, metal gear solid 4 & the up comming UFC 2009 Undisputed that im really looking forward to being a huge UFC fan, having a PS3 & a pretty decent gaming pc i have the best of both worlds. :p

nrdstrm
03-22-09, 05:47 PM
I love my PS3, but TBH, I don't game on it much. My nephew uses it more for that. I use it more for media center abilities (stream xvids from PC, blu ray, etc)...It really has become my media player of choice.

NarcissistZero
03-22-09, 06:26 PM
It's a damn good BD player and there are many console exclusive games it allows me to play. Definately happy I have one.

|MaguS|
03-22-09, 06:29 PM
Not worth it at all, Don't even bother. Worse console ever!

NarcissistZero
03-22-09, 06:30 PM
Ignore Magus, he's a huuuuuuuge Xbox fanboy.

|MaguS|
03-22-09, 06:36 PM
Ignore Magus, he's a huuuuuuuge Xbox fanboy.

Consoles SUCK! PC Gaming 4 Life DAWG!

NarcissistZero
03-22-09, 06:44 PM

CONTROWLERS ARE FOR KIDDIIIES LOL HAHA (nana2)

Retrolock
03-22-09, 07:50 PM

now you'll become buttbrothers with maxfx and noriega! this is such a glorious moment!

:captnkill:

Lyme
03-23-09, 12:13 AM
Things I do on my PS3, check as many as apply:
X - Watch Blu-Ray movies.
X - Play PS3 games.
X - Folding @ Home.
X - PS3 Home.
X - Stream media from my PC.
X - Download and play PlayStation Network games.
X - Rent and watch movies from PSN.
* - Do the dirty nasty.

Is the PS3 worth it? Maybe, it really depends how much $400 is worth to you, and what you would use it for. Over generalizing, the only feature that the PS3 has that the others don't is Blu-ray. Everything else, while not completely equal, is the same: plays games, only comes with one controller, streams media, etc. When it comes down to it, it is your money, and your choice. Do some research, find out what you want, then buy to suit your wants.

MaxFX
03-23-09, 06:03 AM
Of course it's worth it as the crappy 360 gives you nothing, No BD no exclusives as everything comes to the Pc, so PS3 is the only way to go. hey will you bye mine ??? :D

Logical
03-23-09, 09:06 AM
If you already have a Blu Ray player and you have never been much of a metal gear solid fan then get an xbox360.

From what i have seen games seem to run/look better on the 360.

If you want your friends to come round and there jaws drop in awe then dont bother with any console and upgrade your PC to the ultimate gaming/blu ray/media center. :)

S.I.N
03-23-09, 11:08 AM
More than worth it especially for games like Uncharted, Killzone 2 and MG4 alone. Plus if you get one that's backwards compatible you get all those great games from PS2 you missed out on.

More than that though is the features of the PS3 like the Blu-ray, folding, web surfing, free online gaming etc. Also gives me peace of mind knowing if my PC goes down I can use the PS3 for a few days without any trouble.

evilchris
03-23-09, 11:49 AM
If my PC went down for a few days I'd go outside.

If you're a gamer, get a 360 first. If you want a stripped down PC that can play BD, get a PS3.

jkmetal
03-23-09, 12:47 PM

If you're a gamer, get a 360 first. If you want a stripped down PC that can play BD, get a PS3.

I had a 360, twice. Thing sounded like a hurricane. Plus 360 and P.C have tons of overlap when it comes to titles.

I like BD.

H3avyM3tal
03-23-09, 01:29 PM
If you are a gamer, that is you love playing games (not like someone here), than first check to see what games the PS3 has to offer. If you like the current selection and future ones, then you should obviously buy a PS3.

Now, I really don't understand these question. What is 'worth it'? You should ask more specific questions imho. The PS3 is reliable, has an awesome array of games (opinion), is an awesome BD player. Plus as you said yourself, has much less overlap of games with the PC.

The answer is quite simple when you look at the games and you like/dislike what you see.

If you want a stripped down PC, get a 360 first. If you want a stripped down PC that can play BD, get a PS3.

Fixed. Game choices means nothing to you eh?

abcgamer
03-23-09, 02:11 PM
Definitely get the PS3. They have best games which you will never get on a PC

Best anime style game: Naruto: ultimate ninja storm
Best fantasy action game: GOW3
Best and most accurate car models, racer: GT5
Probably best looking console game: Uncharted2
Top RPG games: 2 FF games, Valkyria chronicles, Eternal sonata(late release but better) and many more Japanese games etc...
Platform game: LBP, Ratchet & clank , Jak4 (rumor)

and of course fighting games, shooters too. More quality exclusive games like MGS, super-hero game called infamous etc ...

Gamespy top 25 360 games

25. FIFA Soccer 08
24. Forza Motorsport 2
23. Earth Defense Force 2017
22. Burnout Paradise
21. Soulcalibur I
20. Dead Rising
19. Prince of Persia
18. Guitar Hero II
17. Street Fighter IV
16. Fable II
15. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
14. Halo 3
13. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
12. Fight Night Round 3
11. Dead Space
10. Left 4 Dead
9. Rock Band 2
8. The Orange Box
7. Gears of War 2
6. Crackdown
5. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Mass Effect
3. BioShock
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
1. Fallout 3

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/articles/958/958192p1.html

I don't think you will miss too much. 360 is nothing special, it is just an affordable mid-range PC :wonder:

also PS3 games are region free you can play any format games. PAL, NTSC, Japanese etc only Blu-ray disc are region locked

NarcissistZero
03-23-09, 02:40 PM

The Xbox 360 is muuuuuch more a "stripped down PC" than the PS3 is. A PC gamer has very little incentive to have a 360, but a ton of incentive to have a PS3.

Tyr-Sog
03-23-09, 03:17 PM
$320 at dell with free shipping. enjoy :)

code: Z0WPL1J0CC3W47

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=6673