PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5 : What gun are you upgrading first?

Tygerwoody
03-23-09, 12:32 PM
I'm playing the game with my soon to be wifey. She's actually really good at it.

We were trying to decide what gun to upgrade to full first. We eventually decided on the starter pistol because we pick up so much ammo and the upgraded gun(Samurai Edge) will be great.

We are debating on the hydra shotgun or the gatling gun to go for after the pistol. What do you think? What are you going for/have you done?

S.I.N
03-23-09, 01:26 PM
I played nearly the whole game without upgrading and when I look back I think it was a bad move even though you eventually pick up better incarnations of of some of the guns. Going through it again I would stick to upgrading the pistol and the shotty power as you could always find bullets for them and 1 shot kills come in handy.

JaylumX
03-23-09, 01:32 PM
I mainly prioritised upgrades on the Hand Guns and Rifles first and minor upgrades on Machine Guns and then the Shotgun until i have reached full power for the first two. After that i delegate as a see fit depending on how i am gonna play the level.

EDIT: On my second run, i didn't think that all the upgrades one made on the first run would carry over on a higher difficulty. As i remember in RE4 (and Dead Space) upgrades carryed over for the same difficulty so i guess in RE5 it is a hugh bonus on Veteren mode :D

Mr. Hunt
03-23-09, 02:50 PM
I started with the S75 and the shotgun, because I wanted the bow and hydra... I now have every weapon and have them all fully maxed out, and I will say the chaingun is kind of fun, but there will be a HUGE ammo pack on your back that will give you terrible vision, but the backpack acts as a shield.

Also, upgrading the M92F DOES NOT give you the Samurai Edge, as far as everybody knows, the Samurai Edge CANNOT be unlocked in the campaign mode, only for Wesker (STARS) in Mercenaries. The M92F upgraded will unlock the M93r.

Tygerwoody
03-23-09, 04:37 PM
I started with the S75 and the shotgun, because I wanted the bow and hydra... I now have every weapon and have them all fully maxed out, and I will say the chaingun is kind of fun, but there will be a HUGE ammo pack on your back that will give you terrible vision, but the backpack acts as a shield.

Also, upgrading the M92F DOES NOT give you the Samurai Edge, as far as everybody knows, the Samurai Edge CANNOT be unlocked in the campaign mode, only for Wesker (STARS) in Mercenaries. The M92F upgraded will unlock the M93r.

What gun do you recommend upgrading first?

LORD-eX-Bu
03-23-09, 04:47 PM
my "go-to" gun so far is the M92F. I took away Sheva's pistol and gave her a HK MP5 and M3 shotgun. That way we aren't using up the same ammo. From time to time I end up taking the shotgun and giving her the S75 but I usually keep it. The magnum stays with me as well :bleh:

Definately upgrade the M92F first and shotty second, focus on firepower and capacity. I usually wait till I am really low on ammo to up the capacity tho since it gives you free ammo.

Mr. Hunt
03-23-09, 05:00 PM
What gun do you recommend upgrading first?

Other than the pistol? Probably the first shotgun you get (can't remember the name right now for some reason)... that way you can get the Hydra which is a beast, and the first shotgun is also pretty good by itself. Also you may want to wait to upgrade the Lightning Hawk... it is a pretty awesome gun, also.

Tygerwoody
03-24-09, 10:14 AM
trying to decide between upgrading the M3 to max or the beginner shotgun to max(for hydra)

Mr. Hunt
03-24-09, 11:24 AM
The M3 is pretty awesome, but the Hydra is better, so you should unlock that one first.

Tygerwoody
03-24-09, 11:58 AM
The M3 is pretty awesome, but the Hydra is better, so you should unlock that one first.

What is the M3 better at and what is the Hydra better at?

Chris holds the hydra gun like a homo. Its not even really a shotgun. The M3 still keeps its manliness. :D

Mr. Hunt
03-24-09, 12:46 PM
M3 has a higher damage, but the Hydra has a decent range, and doesn't need to be pumped, so it has faster firing.

I think the way Chris holds the Hydra is a nod to the DMC games.

Crow_Nest
03-24-09, 12:53 PM
I upgraded the starting pistol till near its max. Its my most upgraded gun in the entire game. I used the starting pistol from start till end of the game. I bought the better pistols later in the game and upgraded it for sheva. I wouldnt upgrade the first SMG you pick up because the MP5 will come in soon enough, and the SMG isnt so essential during the early course of the game. Go ahead and upgrade the MP5 because your next machine gun weapon (AK74) will not be acquired until half way into the game. Do upgrade your shotgun's firepower, ammo and reload speed a little though cos you'll need it for sometime until you get the M3. Just avoid upgrading all magnum weapons too much. Ammo is scarce and using it on anything other than a mini boss is a waste of ammo. Besides, an upgraded sniper rifle with damage 1000 or higher is equal to a magnum, except this one has zoom and is a lot more useful.:)

But if i were you, i'd look for the most upgraded gun i have and upgrade that one to its fullest first. This way you unlock a new weapon faster.

Mr. Hunt
03-24-09, 03:31 PM
I upgraded the starting pistol till near its max. Its my most upgraded gun in the entire game. I used the starting pistol from start till end of the game. I bought the better pistols later in the game and upgraded it for sheva. I wouldnt upgrade the first SMG you pick up because the MP5 will come in soon enough, and the SMG isnt so essential during the early course of the game. Go ahead and upgrade the MP5 because your next machine gun weapon (AK74) will not be acquired until half way into the game. Do upgrade your shotgun's firepower, ammo and reload speed a little though cos you'll need it for sometime until you get the M3. Just avoid upgrading all magnum weapons too much. Ammo is scarce and using it on anything other than a mini boss is a waste of ammo. Besides, an upgraded sniper rifle with damage 1000 or higher is equal to a magnum, except this one has zoom and is a lot more useful.:)

But if i were you, i'd look for the most upgraded gun i have and upgrade that one to its fullest first. This way you unlock a new weapon faster.

Uhmm... on the sniper = magnum part... you couldn't be more wrong... the S75 (bolt action) rifle damage maxes out at 2000 if I remember right, which is the highest damage for a sniper rifle. The highest damage magnum, the Smith and Wesson M500, does 5000 damage per hit, more than any other gun in the game, outside of the rocket launcher.

Crow_Nest
03-25-09, 12:28 PM
Uhmm... on the sniper = magnum part... you couldn't be more wrong... the S75 (bolt action) rifle damage maxes out at 2000 if I remember right, which is the highest damage for a sniper rifle. The highest damage magnum, the Smith and Wesson M500, does 5000 damage per hit, more than any other gun in the game, outside of the rocket launcher.

But you hardly use the magnum. The sniper rifle is more efficient and more useful imo, which is why i didnt bother upgrading the magnum much. And to get to 5000 damage for the magnum you're gonna have to be richer than bill gates, all that for an under used weapon, i dont think its worth it. Thats why i prefer to upgrade the sniper instead. Just my opinion... :o

Mr. Hunt
03-25-09, 03:46 PM
But you hardly use the magnum. The sniper rifle is more efficient and more useful imo, which is why i didnt bother upgrading the magnum much. And to get to 5000 damage for the magnum you're gonna have to be richer than bill gates, all that for an under used weapon, i dont think its worth it. Thats why i prefer to upgrade the sniper instead. Just my opinion... :o

Bah... my layout for my first playthrough was the S75, M92F, S&W M500, and Hydra... I kept the M500 in there because, although I didn't use it much, it got me out of a jam sometimes when there was a mini boss and I was nearly dead or low on ammo for other stuff. Can pretty much 1 shot most things on anything less than Pro.

Tygerwoody
03-26-09, 10:32 PM
Bah... my layout for my first playthrough was the S75, M92F, S&W M500, and Hydra... I kept the M500 in there because, although I didn't use it much, it got me out of a jam sometimes when there was a mini boss and I was nearly dead or low on ammo for other stuff. Can pretty much 1 shot most things on anything less than Pro.

how did you have the hydra for the first playthrough? you have to beat the game before you can unlock it...

Crow_Nest
03-26-09, 11:19 PM

Hehe, i guess i took the longer path then. My aresenal during my first playthrough kept changing. But the one gun that stuck with me from start to finish was the M92F. Everytime i found a better weapon i always gave the old one to sheva. But since she loves to hog the pistol, i buy and upgrade the newer pistols that get unlocked.

Mr. Hunt
03-26-09, 11:20 PM
No you don't. Unless my game was bugged... because I had the M500 and the Hydra my first playthrough, which are both achieved by upgrading guns.

Crow_Nest
03-26-09, 11:30 PM
No you don't. Unless my game was bugged... because I had the M500 and the Hydra my first playthrough, which are both achieved by upgrading guns.

I dont see how all that could mean your game is bugged. Unless there are small gameplay differences between the asian and US versions of the game.

Mr. Hunt
03-27-09, 12:41 AM
Lol I don't think it was a bug either... but I am 99% sure I had the Hydra on my first playthrough... I think the only things you can't have on your first playthrough is infinite ammo and infinite rocket launcher.

Tygerwoody
03-27-09, 08:31 AM
Lol I don't think it was a bug either... but I am 99% sure I had the Hydra on my first playthrough... I think the only things you can't have on your first playthrough is infinite ammo and infinite rocket launcher.

If you look at the unlocks, it requires that you finish all chapters. I have 4 fully upgraded weapons and I can't even upgrade to infinite ammo for any. I want to give my M3 infinite ammo, but it won't work. My Ithaca also has full upgrades, but there is no unlock. Same for the starter sniper.

Right now we are having a problem defeating Wesker because we are COMPLETELY out of ammo. We are in the volcano and simply do not have enough bullets to take him out.

Mr. Hunt
03-27-09, 03:30 PM
Yeah, you have to beat the game to get infinite ammo, but not the weapons.

Mr. Hunt
03-27-09, 03:41 PM
Oh yeah on the lack of ammo thing, what weapons are you using? If you have enough money to upgrade the capacity, do it... that gives you free ammo.

Tygerwoody
03-29-09, 01:40 AM
Oh yeah on the lack of ammo thing, what weapons are you using? If you have enough money to upgrade the capacity, do it... that gives you free ammo.

That was the problem... all my guns that I use already had full capacity. I know of that trick.

I ended up just having to buy stock guns with ammo and selling them with the ammo left over. It worked and I beat the game. (nana2)

Mr. Hunt
03-29-09, 07:46 AM
Awesome... now get to work on unlocking everything in Mercs and stuff. Oh and if you value your relationship with your fiance, DO NOT ask her to play through Pro with you. You might try to beat her on 2-3.