PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Devkits Cheaper, PhyreEngine Updated.

|MaguS|
03-23-09, 04:07 PM
Sony has lowered the cost of the newest Devkits for the PS3, It's now cheaper then $3K which is amazing. I think the last report was they were going for around $10K. I guess the excuse of the cost of development being too high is out the window now, eh?

Also Sony has updated the PhyreEngine to support some new features. The PhyreEngine is a free engine for the PS3. It has physics and and lighting with the newest addition of foilage to it.

Since 2008 Sony has really been pushing hard to help developers and multiplatform titles have improved significantly compared to the previous games of the past. Hopefully this will help more developers open up to the PSN, I love having full titles on download only.

http://playstation.joystiq.com/

NarcissistZero
03-23-09, 04:10 PM
Sony has lowered the cost of the newest Devkits for the PS3, It's now cheaper then $3K which is amazing. I think the last report was they were going for around $10K. I guess the excuse of the cost of development being too high is out the window now, eh?

I believe it's the "PC developers need to learn all new system" thing that makes development cost so much.

|MaguS|
03-23-09, 04:15 PM
I believe it's the "PC developers need to learn all new system" thing that makes development cost so much.

They need to learn the architecture, the code and software used is the same as what they always ysed.

NarcissistZero
03-23-09, 04:26 PM
They need to learn the architecture, the code and software used is the same as what they always ysed.

You realize of course that every developer ever has stated otherwise?

I'm not a programmer, I have no idea, but I don't think the cost of dev kits has anything to do with the complaints about the cost of PS3 development.

|MaguS|
03-23-09, 04:37 PM
You realize of course that every developer ever has stated otherwise?

I'm not a programmer, I have no idea, but I don't think the cost of dev kits has anything to do with the complaints about the cost of PS3 development.

The PS3 uses OpenGL ES and also in C and the DevKits even include the GNU Compiler. The PS3's platform is actually pretty open to coding techniques.

If you notice, most games that had issue where games that the engine has already been in development for other platforms and ported over to the PS3. The problem is that the Architecture of the PS3 is so different that the hardware doesn't "think" the same way as common hardware like the X360 and PC.

Yeah intial costs are higher when you first jump in if you have no experiance with console platforms but Sony provides many tools to ease into the new architecture so its not like you have to pay for your progammers to go to school.

XDanger
03-23-09, 04:41 PM
Do they charge 25k for a license per title on top of a percentage of each copy sold?