PDA

View Full Version : Netflix on PS3

Hex
03-23-09, 08:34 PM
Just got a survey in from two different sources asking about interest in Netflix streaming to the PS3.
I know that many were thinking that because Netflix and MS have ties that this wouldn't happen it is good to know that there are feelers out there.

evilchris
03-23-09, 08:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Netflix is interested in making money so any drama "ties" with MS mean nothing. That said, the streaming service sucks. If you enjoy movies use hard media.

Hex
03-23-09, 08:47 PM
I definitely agree, the quality of audion and video on the streams is definitely lacking from my experiences on pc but some old tv shows and whatnot I wouldn't mind streaming in (without having to acquire them on my pc and then streaming them myself).
I have been using Blockbuster to try movies before I decide to grab them or not but they have made some in store changes lately which are irritating.

Mr. Hunt
03-23-09, 10:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Netflix is interested in making money so any drama "ties" with MS mean nothing. That said, the streaming service sucks. If you enjoy movies use hard media.

Agreed. Streaming is terrible and I don't see why people want it so badly.

evilchris
03-23-09, 10:44 PM
Agreed. Streaming is terrible and I don't see why people want it so badly.

I've used it a couple times when I was bored out of my mind and it just isn't worth it. I checked my input utilization and it was like 2Mbps. That isn't even DVD. That was on a PC. I have not tried it on a console but I have downloaded an "HD Movie" on the X360 and it sucked compared to the BD of the same movie.

Tygerwoody
03-25-09, 09:56 AM
Netflix is on PS3. Its called PlayOn. I use it all the time. Quality is about as good as standard definition TV and actually some movies are as good as VHS(or worse). I've only seen one movie that was close to that of a DVD. Even then there were issues.

For movies we really want to see, we order hard copies through netflix. If its something we are just sorta interested in, we stream it(since its free and doesn't clog up your queue).

Playon software is buggy and it comes at a $40 pricetag. The software is so buggy it should be free. I bought it because it works with my needs(for hulu)

saturnotaku
03-25-09, 10:03 AM
Netflix is on PS3. Its called PlayOn. I use it all the time. Quality is about as good as standard definition TV and actually some movies are as good as VHS(or worse). I've only seen one movie that was close to that of a DVD. Even then there were issues.

For movies we really want to see, we order hard copies through netflix. If its something we are just sorta interested in, we stream it(since its free and doesn't clog up your queue).

Playon software is buggy and it comes at a $40 pricetag. The software is so buggy it should be free. I bought it because it works with my needs(for hulu)

I tried PlayOn for a bit and really liked it for Hulu and Youtube subscriptions. But it only worked well when the host PC was using a wired connection to my router, which is highly impractical since my desktop and notebook are upstairs while my PS3 and home theater are downstairs. I tried a 5 GHz wireless-n router, and that didn't work either. Perhaps when we move, I'll be able to have all my entertainment stuff in one room, but until then, pass.

Tygerwoody
03-27-09, 10:53 AM
I tried PlayOn for a bit and really liked it for Hulu and Youtube subscriptions. But it only worked well when the host PC was using a wired connection to my router, which is highly impractical since my desktop and notebook are upstairs while my PS3 and home theater are downstairs. I tried a 5 GHz wireless-n router, and that didn't work either. Perhaps when we move, I'll be able to have all my entertainment stuff in one room, but until then, pass.

I use wireless.