PDA

View Full Version : GDC 09: OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

Pages : [1] 2 3

proliferazor
03-24-09, 01:34 AM
Before I dive into what OnLive is and how it works, let me start by saying that you should read every word of this article as this service has the potential to completely change the way games are played. If it works and gets proper support from both publishers and gamers, you may never need a high-end PC to play the latest games, or perhaps even ever buy a console again. That is not an exaggeration.

link (http://pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p1.html)

more links (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10202688-235.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5)

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090323/OnLive_tech_diagram_610x471.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090323/090313_redeemer_hero_shot1_onwhite_610x471.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/965/965535/gdc-09-onlive-announcement-and-details-20090323081008017.jpg

nutcrackr
03-24-09, 01:58 AM
what kind of connection do you need to stream high definition video? Also this would need to be localized, or people from other countries would get far too much input lag.

I personally would rather spend a few hundred more on hardware to get as little input lag as possible. Not to mention modding and such.

hmm 5mbps for 720 video. Then that's probably 30 FPS capped from the 60fps that the machine runs else the bandwidth would be too huge. 1ms to compress video?

Lag in single player sucks tbh.

I can see this working better for Strategy games, only problem is the requirements for those are low anyway.

LordJuanlo
03-24-09, 03:35 AM
There should be zero lag for this thing to be effective. I don't see it happening soon

saturnotaku
03-24-09, 04:59 AM
This is pointless if you have a bandwidth cap imposed by your ISP.

CaptNKILL
03-24-09, 05:11 AM
A similar thing is already being done with the StreamMyGame service. It works extremely well over a LAN with no lag but I don't see it being even remotely useful over a standard broadband connection. Especially given how unreliable the speed of the connection can be.

If I have trouble getting into a game of Left 4 Dead with less than 170 ping, I doubt I'll be getting zero lag by running the game from a server a thousand miles away, streaming 100x more information, while also being connected to an online game server.

Also, say goodbye to user created content, mods, offline gaming (obviously), tweaking and high res graphics (720p is hardly "high def" in my opinion).

This would basically suck all of the life out of PC gaming. I don't normally hope for the failure of new technology, but if this catches on in any significant way, it'll destroy our hobby. You might as well just watch TV.

Bokishi
03-24-09, 05:28 AM
I could see this catching on in 10 years, where bandwidth is bigger and 1080p content can be streamed easily

Toss3
03-24-09, 07:58 AM
..............................720p................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................... :bleh:

If only the ISP:s could provide content servers then it could potentially be a win-win for both them and the consumer.

Noriega
03-24-09, 08:58 AM
Sorry makes no logic sense at all.

Toss3
03-24-09, 09:23 AM
Sorry makes no logic sense at all.

Yes it does - most people out there are casual gamers and want to enjoy a game every once in awhile without having to spend tons of money on new hardware and it would be great for notebooks!

Noriega
03-24-09, 09:29 AM
Yes it does - most people out there are casual gamers and want to enjoy a game every once in awhile without having to spend tons of money on new hardware and it would be great for notebooks!

Only if they can make 5Mbit/s of video data from 1Gbit/s without loosing quality, they can beat latency, build PC and server for less than you can buy a console or PC. Sorry this never happen

rudedog
03-24-09, 09:29 AM
isn't that the definition of console gaming?

To make it even cheaper they simply rent their games instead of buying outright.

Toss3
03-24-09, 09:35 AM
Only if they can make 5Mbit/s of video data from 1Gbit/s without loosing quality, they can beat latency, build PC and server for less than you can buy a console or PC. Sorry this never happen

1Gb/s - where did you pull that number from(blu-ray movies have a video bit rate of ~40mb/s)? :D A good quality 720p stream only needs about 5mb/s to look good(at 24fps that is).

Noriega
03-24-09, 09:52 AM
1GB/s - where did you pull that number from(blu-ray movies have a video bit rate of ~40mb/s)? :D A good quality 720p stream only needs about 5mb/s to look good(at 24fps that is).

1Gbit/s is not 1GB/s! 1Gbit/s tihs is the bandwith that GPU send to monitor for game in 1024x720. You can't compress it to 5mbit/s without quality drop.

Logical
03-24-09, 10:03 AM
Gametrailer links with an interview with onlive CEO.

Part 1 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47079.html)
Part 2 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47081.html)

I dont know about this service..i guess its too early to give any opinions yet but tbh if it is a success it could be damaging to console and high end GPU sales. However, it will be a massive step in combating piracy.

Streaming games hmmmm

Toss3
03-24-09, 10:07 AM
1Gbit/s is not 1GB/s! 1Gbit/s tihs is the bandwith that GPU send to monitor for game in 1024x720. You can't compress it to 5mbit/s without quality drop.

Massive fail on my part - sorry(been a long day.. :o). My argument still holds though, despite the typo(there would of course be a loss of quality, but not a major one).

Tuork
03-24-09, 10:19 AM
As many have said, this might catch on with greater strength somewhere in the vicinity of the nest 5-10 years when the technology is more adept at handling HD transfers reliably.

Personally, I'd be very interested in something like this seeing as I now mostly work on my laptop, nor do I have the massive funds to spend on gaming hardware. This has some definite potential :D

nekrosoft13
03-24-09, 12:45 PM
There should be zero lag for this thing to be effective. I don't see it happening soon

yeah, this will never work with current interent, input lag, latency, it might be ok for slow adventure games, but shooters, even most strategy or RPGs simply not possible. Can you image racing games? Plus streaming 1080p video at 60+FPS, with no drops, sure.

This is pointless if you have a bandwidth cap imposed by your ISP.

Crapcast has one of the biggest caps, but some ISP have 10gb a month.

nekrosoft13
03-24-09, 12:48 PM
As many have said, this might catch on with greater strength somewhere in the vicinity of the nest 5-10 years when the technology is more adept at handling HD transfers reliably.

I personally hope that this never catches on, for the same reason why streaming movies should fail.

If hard media goes away, you will never "own" anything, there will be some big company deciding what you can watch, play, if you can. Company might fail and then what? Just more forced DRM.

hell_of_doom227
03-24-09, 12:56 PM
I hope this bull**** idea never goes alive. They are trying to push Cloud Computing big time which is the biggest and stupidest idea ever thought of.

Toss3
03-24-09, 01:02 PM
yeah, this will never work with current interent, input lag, latency, it might be ok for slow adventure games, but shooters, even most strategy or RPGs simply not possible. Can you image racing games? Plus streaming 1080p video at 60+FPS, with no drops, sure.

Crapcast has one of the biggest caps, but some ISP have 10gb a month.

What if the ISP:s provided the content servers?

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 02:47 PM
Everyone trying to make PC gaming easier when those want easier gaming already have the console alternative. Focusing on making things more consumer friendly like Steam is good, but changing what PC gaming is? Why? Consoles cater to that already.

Toss3
03-24-09, 02:50 PM
Everyone trying to make PC gaming easier when those want easier gaming already have the console alternative. Focusing on making things more consumer friendly like Steam is good, but changing what PC gaming is? Why? Consoles cater to that already.

This would replace gaming on every platform - not just PC.

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 02:57 PM
This would replace gaming on every platform - not just PC.

What makes them think console gaming needs a replacement of this kind? I would think if they switched to streaming gaming they would lose customers, even if it happened 10 or 20 years from now.

Bman212121
03-24-09, 03:43 PM

No, but at the same time that would be considered raw video. Even using Mpeg2 can shrink it considerably (not really sure on that, maybe 10 fold?). If you can use a more advanced codec like Mpeg4 then the bandwidth reduction is around 100:1. That would put you somewhere near 10mbits a second for HD gaming. Obviously it would depend upon what settings are used, but I do remember taking raw video from fraps and converting it into mpeg4 and saving about 100x the space. :)

nekrosoft13
03-24-09, 06:14 PM
What if the ISP:s provided the content servers?

to make this even slightly possible, there would have to be a server farm for every 5-10 square miles area with fiber to every home.
Even at those distances input lag would be horrible. Please complain when a cheaper monitor gives them few nanoseconds of input lag.

input lag with network latency simply doesn't make that possible.