PDA

View Full Version : Are games still coming out with StarForce?

Mike89
03-24-09, 01:42 PM
Was just curious about that. I hadn't heard of any lately, though I don't really know how one would find out other than reading about it in a forum or something. I searched and saw a list of StarForce protected games but the list is quite dated and I don't think it's updated anymore.

nekrosoft13
03-24-09, 01:49 PM
Starforce is still being used, but mostly in Europe.

Q
03-24-09, 01:54 PM
I really hope not. While there are countless members who will attest that "only pirates hate Starforce", I'm one of the "lucky few" who has had their system brought to its knees by BSOD after BSOD from that awesome piece of software. Their tech support treats you like a criminal, unlike Securom. They were great when I had a problem with San Andreas a few years back. Rockstar and Securom worked together to make me a custom EXE for my system. Starforce on the other hand refused to help me, even though I was referred to them from the publisher/developer of three different games. It was three to four years ago, but I still hate them so.

LordJuanlo
03-24-09, 01:57 PM
Starforce is still being used, but mostly in Europe.

Eastern Europe to be more precise, it's not found in Spain, France, UK, Germany...

Mike89
03-24-09, 02:16 PM
I do wish there was a regularly updated list for US games. The way it is now, one might unknowningly buy and install a game before finding out. I personally will not buy a game with that crap in it. Problem is, I'd like to know beforehand. I bought one game when it first came out (Chaos Theory) that was StarForce protected. It was the only one I had on my system with it and the only one I still had to use a CD to play (cause I couldn't find a working you know what). I un-installed the game and used the StarForce utility to get rid of the StarForce drivers. I then purchased the download version of the game (cause I liked it so much) directly from the Ubisoft website that had no StarForce in it. Now I just want to make sure my system stays StarForce free.

saturnotaku
03-24-09, 02:23 PM
I had bought TOCA Race Driver 3 a while back and forgot that it used StarForce. Fortunately the version of StarForce on that CD wasn't compatible with Vista x64. The game still worked fine. I'm probably going to get it from GOG instead. No DRM FTW.

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 03:39 PM
As someone else said, only in Eastern Europe.

Buio
03-24-09, 06:37 PM
Kings Bounty had Starforce, even the demo had it I think. But it was removed in later patches. Then again, Kings Bounty was developed in Russia, so it fits with earlier replies about that.