PDA

View Full Version : Steam Makes DRM "Obsolete"

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 04:00 PM
Steam News from today: http://store.steampowered.com/news/2372/

Suite of Services Expands With Customer Executable Generation (CEG), Support for DLC, Matchmaking, and More

March 24, 2009 - Valve today announced a new set of advanced features delivered in Steamworks, a complete suite of publishing and development tools that are available free of charge to developers and publishers worldwide.

Headlining the new feature set is the Custom Executable Generation (CEG) technology that compliments the already existing anti-piracy solution offered in Steamworks. A customer friendly approach to anti-piracy, CEG makes unique copies of games for each user allowing them to access the application on multiple machines without install limits and without having to install root kits on their PC.

The new features also include support for in-game downloadable content (DLC) and matchmaking. The in-game DLC support allows developers to deliver new content as they choose (paid or free) from inside the game itself, allowing users to make immediate purchases and experience the new content in the same game session. The Steamworks matchmaking now includes the robust lobby system shipped and tested in Left 4 Dead.

"Delivering this extension of services on Steamworks first anniversary, demonstrates our commitment to continually develop the platform to better serve the community working with these tools," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "As we roll out these features, we continue to look for new ways make PC games easier to create and better for customers to experience."

Steamworks was launched in early 2008 and has already shipped in products distributed at retail and electronically with major PC releases such as Empire: Total War, Dawn of War II, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, and Football Manager 2009.

The Steamworks services are offered free of charge to developers and publishers around the world. In addition to the services added in this spring's extension, Steamworks offers support for Steam Achievements, Steam Community, Auto Updating, Statistics, Steam Cloud and more.

Steamworks is fully integrated with the Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC games that has grown to reach 20 million accounts throughout the world, up from 15 million accounts just one year ago. Steam now offers over 500 applications to gamers in every country of the world.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

Interesting stuff... I'm all for it.

LurkerLito
03-24-09, 05:36 PM
It's definitely a bad title since steam is itself a form of DRM. The title should be more "Steam makes other DRM obsolete."

MaxFX
03-24-09, 05:49 PM
Great news Valve keep pushing forward and I read that MS GFW will do similar stuff :)
And MS promise us all thet they are hard at work for building a much better GFW plattform!

They better be as they havent done much at all only pouring money into their crappy toybox!

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 07:15 PM
It's definitely a bad title since steam is itself a form of DRM. The title should be more "Steam makes other DRM obsolete."

I thought the same thing... their title, not mine.

nekrosoft13
03-24-09, 07:19 PM
so basically if joe leaks out a game, they will know joe did it?

CEG makes unique copies of games for each user

NarcissistZero
03-24-09, 07:20 PM
so basically if joe leaks out a game, they will know joe did it?

Basically, yes... then they disable his account and he loses all his games.

Retrolock
03-24-09, 08:15 PM
Steam also makes my card run on 3d mode all the time even if im not playing a game, which makes my gtx 260 5 degrees hotter than low power mode. :bleh:

|MaguS|
03-24-09, 08:48 PM
Steam also makes my card run on 3d mode all the time even if im not playing a game, which makes my gtx 260 5 degrees hotter than low power mode. :bleh:
Why woud it do that? I have steam open all the time and never notice my fans kicking up unless I am actually playing a game.

evox
03-24-09, 10:07 PM
Hmm, CEG seems intrusive. Well, I guess it'll go along with Steam nicely. It can actually be a very effective tool. Normal gamers aren't going to pirate games for others, so the people that get locked out will be pirates/release group themselves.

Effectively meaning they'll have to get an account for every Steam-specific release or they'll just circumvent the whole thing.

Retrolock
03-25-09, 12:14 AM
Why woud it do that? I have steam open all the time and never notice my fans kicking up unless I am actually playing a game.

Dunno why. Opening Steam without playing a videogame should be like opening firefox. But my dumb videocard mistakes it for a 3d game so the core/shader/mem speed revs up.

mullet
03-25-09, 12:34 AM
I love Valve.

Lfctony
03-25-09, 12:57 AM
Other DRM limits installations. Steam doesn't. Major advantage...

crainger
03-25-09, 01:40 AM

It does this to me at times too. Also found it using 50%-75% of all four cores one day. Steam is upto something...

NarcissistZero
03-25-09, 01:45 AM
It does this to me at times too. Also found it using 50%-75% of all four cores one day. Steam is upto something...

Maybe it's becoming self aware, like Skynet. Perhaps it is linking all our computers in an effort to bring upon the end of humanity.

crainger
03-25-09, 01:48 AM
Just as long as I don't lose my games.

MaxFX
03-25-09, 08:04 AM
Maybe it's becoming self aware, like Skynet. Perhaps it is linking all our computers in an effort to bring upon the end of humanity.

Thats right and with the OnLive service manking is doomed, the machines is coming and WTF why not as most everyone is retards anyway, this planet needs cleansing :D